Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Spectator mode No Delay or Short Delay

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

KatuXiK

06-07-2012

I had an idea for a no delay - or short delay - spectator mode. The whole point of the delay is so you can't help your friends team by watching for MIA's, or giving out enemy positions. So, what if instead of giving full viewing privileges, you could only watch your friends champion - and wherever they move their camera - and get rid of the map and Fog Of War options.

By getting rid of the map, you can no longer call out all lanes MIA's, and since you can only see what your friend sees, you cant exactly act as an extra eye. For things where someone pops out of the bushes quick, anyone else on their team could see that on the map, or if they're viewing lanes quick.

Obviously Fog Of War would be turned on to whichever team you're spectating, so if your friend is scrolling over the map, you'll only see darkness, just like them.

If you want to be really skeptical you could say that you could have a team of 10 on skype - one watcher for each player - and have the watchers call MIA's, but that could be easily fixed by adding a 15-45 second delay. I just think that 3 minutes is extremely excessive, and can really take the excitement out of spectating if you're trying to watch a friend play and you're talking to them.

So what are everyones thoughts on this?

Verandure

06-07-2012

I agree that talking to a friend while spectating their game is a little frustrating when you're three minutes in the past (even more annoying if you stay until the end so you can play with your friend after), but.... and there's always a but, I spectate to see what BOTH sides are doing, because I like seeing the stratagems and reactions.

There's some people who say that three minutes isn't enough because wards last three minutes. All in all, the spectator mode is great, but watching your friends is a little bleh. The featured games really need more detail before you click though.

KatuXiK

06-07-2012

Quote:
Verandure:
I agree that talking to a friend while spectating their game is a little frustrating when you're three minutes in the past (even more annoying if you stay until the end so you can play with your friend after), but.... and there's always a but, I spectate to see what BOTH sides are doing, because I like seeing the stratagems and reactions.

I wasn't suggesting this as a replacement to the current spectator mode, but as a variation. I more often than not spectate to view what my friends are doing, and I wish I could talk on skype with them about the game as it happened, rather than being three minutes behind and very confused and left out when they get excited.

Vemon

06-08-2012

Even though it would be nice to spectate games live instead of 3 minutes late, nothing's to stop players for spectating a "friend" and helping another friend on the other team. And I doubt the 3 minutes will be shortened due to wards, if anything it might even be lengthened :/ (though I doubt that too)

KatuXiK

06-13-2012

Quote:
Vemon:
Even though it would be nice to spectate games live instead of 3 minutes late, nothing's to stop players for spectating a "friend" and helping another friend on the other team.

But what are the chances that someone will have a friend on both teams in a Matchmaking game? Aren't there 10 million active players or something like that? The only possibility of that happening would be in a custom match set up between friends, and chances are that in that situation, both teams would do the same thing.

Spartan Souldier

06-14-2012

although a lot can happen in 3 minutes, id like to see the delay increased to about 10 minutes since they can see any item placements on the map. mushrooms and wards etc.baron doesnt usually take very long but you might be able to catch them setting up for a baron attempt and warn a friend just in time to catch them going baron or to steal it.

KatuXiK

06-16-2012

bump

The Clone

06-17-2012

Quote:
KatuXiK:
bump

bump what? a bad idea? its never going to happen. its a delay for a reason, to stop any possible form of advantage...if you want to play a game that hands out easy ways to get an advantage go play WoW...

KatuXiK

06-17-2012

Have you even read it? it wouldnt be an advantage, you would have even less viewing privileges than whoever you are spectating.

Magic Rasta

09-11-2013

Bump.