Need some zilean help! Runes, Masteries, and item build.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tomatoofdoom

06-07-2012

Ive been looking for an up to date zilean guide but have not found anything. Is he even viable anymore?

XCodes

06-07-2012

He has a small array of incredibly powerful tricks. As a result, I consider him more of a counter-pick to various heroes. Dangerous AD's vulnerable to CC like Tryndamere, for example.

As for a guide, I think the issue there is that he's just not a very hard character to play. Get 40% CDR so you can do a EQWQE pattern in quick succession and get some AP to make your bombs hurt more and to revive allies with more health.

Shatterlight

06-07-2012

Viable is a silly word on the League forums, because half the people using it are referring to tournament viability and the other half mean "Can I do well with him?"

I presume you mean the second, so - Yes, yes you can.

I play Zilean a little bit, he's my favorite support but I rarely find the opportunity to fit him in a team. So for Runes, I just use the same runes I use for all my casters (MPen marks, Armor seals, MR/level glyphs, either health or MPen quints depending on preference.) and the masteries I use for all supports (9/0/21).

Item build depends on if you are playing support Zilean or nuking Zilean. For support I do Philo stone, Sorcerors Shoes or Merc Treads against certain teams, Kages Lucky Pick, Chalice of Harmony, then Aegis because it's bloody OP Then I make Unholy Grail, and from there I find one more CDR item that I feel will help in whatever situation we are currently in. Then it's all defenses and AP.

Nuking Zilean, just go look up AP carry builds. Stack Archangel's or whatever silly thing. You are Flavor Flav, so just yell "YEEEEEEEEEEEAH BOIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII" before every fight. It makes you do more damage.

Heaviest Flow

06-07-2012

I find that playing zilean well comes down to your tactical decision making.
Would it be better to speed yourself up to bomb an enemy?
Or maybe speed yourself up, w, then slow the enemy down?
Maybe your teammate is closer and you can drop a bomb on him and speed him up so he catches up, stuns, the bomb explodes.
Keep an eye on your mana so you don't use w when you can't follow it up with something.
Always spam w if your revive is on cooldown and you can spare the mana.
Revive is very interesting itself. I've used it many times to bait characters. Players will put themselves at much higher risk to finish you off, and it seems like they forget you can revive most of the time.
The key is making sure you have a teammate on the way to jump in the fight or that you can get him low enough to finish the job quickly when you get revived.

Choosing the right time and player to revive is crucial and can really turn around a fight.
Hopefully the enemy team will focus your tank first because if you revive your tank it really demoralizes them and they probably wasted a couple ults.
If they are focusing the carry get that revive ready.
Usually you just revive the teammate whose going down, but in dire situations choosing the right teammate to revive is crucial. Do you let your tank or carry go down? Well if the other team is hurting bad let the tank die to revive the carry and get that damage to finish.
If your on the losing end revive that tank so he can cc and you can speed him up and both escape.
Sometimes its best not to use revive, if your getting chased by 3 players with no help near don't waste a revive to simply die immediately.

As far as build Zilean hasn't changed in a while AFAIK, personally I build CDR/AP/MP.
Once your AP in nice and high those late game revives bring mates back with a lot of health.
Clarity can get you kills too, people forget about it a lot and go in thinking your out of mana. Then you bomb, slow, w, bomb. Repeat as necessary.

Its fun to play Zilean well, he gets so much love from teammates.
<3 dat Zil.

llDeathCowll

06-07-2012

Zilean works great against many mids..I've not really played him much since his buff, which is a shame because his buff was everything I ever wanted for him. I think I stopped playing him because his mana useage was so high that I always wanted to pick clarity...and I hated myself for taking clarity.

THAT SAID...he works really well vs AP champs that melee like fizz and sion. You can double bomb minions that they goto last hit for huge damage. He can also make great use of soulstealer and GA. If he gets early kills he and easily become an unstoppable force by building tanky AP. Mmmm soulstealer ga zilean rawr....