Is Xerath any good?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Invictrix

06-06-2012

So I am going to pick my 25th champion soon, and I am looking closely at Xerath. I am of course going to wait for the champion preview of the 100th champion, but if it turns out to be something that doesn't interest me then I am back to looking at the already existing champions.

I am looking at Orianna as well, but she seems really hard to master and lackluster if you do.

Xerath will take a little bit to learn, but he seems to reward your efforts.

I kind of want a tanky mage like Swain or Victor except I don't like the concepts for Swain or Victor(concepts ok, but his passive takes up an inventory slot which is meh), but I do like the concept of Xerath, so If anyone who uses him has anything to say about him please respond.

EDIT: So I ended up getting Xerath and I have pulled off some neat kills, but he is gonna take awhile to learn I can tell already. Anybody got any good tips for using him?

Edit2: I was surprised to see this thread come back. I have become a relatively strong Xerath player since I wrote this thread and I just unlocked my 35th champion (taric). I have also created several threads where I teach people how to successfully use Xerath.

I don't ever expect Xerath to become a popular champion since he is so different to use. He is gonna be like Orianna and Viktor an unpopular, but powerful ap mid to those who know how to use him.

It was kind of nice to see this thread again and it reminded me how much better I have gotten at the game in the last 4 months.

Kizzzle

06-06-2012

Let me tell you before everyone makes you feel like he sucks.
he does NOT.

Xerath is much like the mid type of hero Orianana is. He will completely destroy the enemy mid, or he will fail completely.

With Xerath, however, his ap scaling is a bit low. This is DUE to the fact of his passive. Gaining armor per ap. He would become imbalanced if he was to get an ap ratio boost. He is designed to eliminate the enemy mage and carry like most mages in the game.
ALTHOUGH xerth's W and ultimate move are designed to DESTROY EVERYONE in a team fight.

His ult works with a three set blast within 10 seconds or something. Once you have your full build your looking at maybe 350 magic damage per blast along with your Q of 400 damage thats off its cd literally EVERY 2 seconds. He is, much like most strange champions NOT in the offcial tier list because he is a champion that requires a TEAM to compliment.

All in all he is an outstanding hero that alot of people mis judge. Try him out, i own almost champion in the game and i assure you he is not under powered or imba in any aspect.

Second Movement

06-06-2012

I picked him up recently after playing him on the free week a looooong time ago. You don't see Xeraths often, and that tends to work in your favor. Abuse your range. Abuse it hard.

Even with his passive, he isn't terribly tanky. I suppose you could build him that way...but it's something I can't comment on since I haven't done it. As for being viable/up/op, he's definintely viable and not up at all. Nail down the playstyle he uses, and you'll be sniping people out in team fights all the time.

In my opinion, he does more damage than Orianna and is easier to handle. That may be a bit misinformed since I've played much more Xerath than Orianna, but I'd stand by it nonetheless.

Invictrix

06-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLumpy0ne View Post
Let me tell you before everyone makes you feel like he sucks.
he does NOT.

Xerath is much like the mid type of hero Orianana is. He will completely destroy the enemy mid, or he will fail completely.

With Xerath, however, his ap scaling is a bit low. This is DUE to the fact of his passive. Gaining armor per ap. He would become imbalanced if he was to get an ap ratio boost. He is designed to eliminate the enemy mage and carry like most mages in the game.
ALTHOUGH xerth's W and ultimate move are designed to DESTROY EVERYONE in a team fight.

His ult works with a three set blast within 10 seconds or something. Once you have your full build your looking at maybe 350 magic damage per blast along with your Q of 400 damage thats off its cd literally EVERY 2 seconds. He is, much like most strange champions NOT in the offcial tier list because he is a champion that requires a TEAM to compliment.

All in all he is an outstanding hero that alot of people mis judge. Try him out, i own almost champion in the game and i assure you he is not under powered or imba in any aspect.
Thanks for the information unless the 100th champion is truly something special I am going to be picking up Xerath. I am glad you answered and not someone along the lines of "well I never see him so he must suck."

Zyrelia

06-06-2012

I played as Xerath several time. I returned him several months later because I found that I didn't like his playstyle nor was I good at playing him. His play style, to me at least, feels a little clunky. You might be trying to chase, only to find your W is still active (though i'm sure with practice, you could get used to turning it off at the right time). I think he's an overall good champ if you can make sure to use your kit to its advantage; the range and the single target stun as well as the AoE ultimate that can decimate teamfights.

All this is coming from a player that does not really enjoy playing AP mid champs very much, so feel free to value it at your own accord.

Invictrix

06-06-2012

So I ended up getting Xerath and I have pulled off soem neat kills, but he is gonna take awhile to learn I can tell already. Anybody got any good tips for using him?

Valhalla90

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-06-2012

He can do quite well in mid, can decimate creep waves if positioned right, and hits like a truck/can add some nice damage to a tea fight, especially of everybody is grouped up. That being said, he is susceptible to more bursty mids, particularly Leblanc. You'll find many times that you think and act faster than xerath is able to keep uP with you, casting your single target then your "snipe" or dropping into your spell-pen channel but finding that one of the skills opulent activate quickly enough and thus your combo has failed. The q also dictates where it will fire, so a significant amount of leading is required to hit consistently, and becomes that much harder against an experienced opponent. Reducing his casting times would fix this and make him more viable, but I don't see it happening any time soon. Pick him up, he's enjoyable, but very niche

Invictrix

06-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhalla90 View Post
He can do quite well in mid, can decimate creep waves if positioned right, and hits like a truck/can add some nice damage to a tea fight, especially of everybody is grouped up. That being said, he is susceptible to more bursty mids, particularly Leblanc. You'll find many times that you think and act faster than xerath is able to keep uP with you, casting your single target then your "snipe" or dropping into your spell-pen channel but finding that one of the skills opulent activate quickly enough and thus your combo has failed. The q also dictates where it will fire, so a significant amount of leading is required to hit consistently, and becomes that much harder against an experienced opponent. Reducing his casting times would fix this and make him more viable, but I don't see it happening any time soon. Pick him up, he's enjoyable, but very niche
He does have problems with the more burst oriented mids as I have noticed so far, but thankfully those types of mids aren't as popular right now in favor of champions like Swain and Cassiopeia.

SwiftC3

06-06-2012

Level 1-6 Q,E,Q,W,Q,R
Max Q, R,E, finally W (at least thats how i do it)

Lane phase, if you are gonna use your ability to hit a minion with Q try to include the enemy champ. Never W unless you have to or you absolutely need the range.

Never W if you are getting ganked, the lockdown and then release is too long to get away. You can run flash, I prefer ghost.

During Team fights I try to stay on the other side of terrain and spam spells using either the standard or W distance. Getting caught = dead. You got 1 stun and while its decent you won't get more than 2 off before your dead. (unless you got rylai's or are really lucky).

He is really skill shot based, for his main skills. W-E,Q combo can be done near instantaneous meaning you don't have to wait for the animations to complete fully before going into your next skill.

Good luck

AznBoySam

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-06-2012

personally, i prefer AP kogmaw > xerath.
and orianna isnt very good. she has a highskill cap with little return. Her range is tiny, the ball is slow, and it doesnt do enough damage for the mana cost.

xerath is pretty good. unless your facing a mobile champion. if youre facing an ahri, ask for a switch. her ult counters your ult and your selfsnare makes an easy taunt.

i view both of them as more of a support role in the sense they put out damage but dont really kill. orianna has a shield buff and slow and xerath has his range and stun.

still, AP kogmaw's ult is much better. he does a ton of damage and with the new unholy grail item hes easier to manage. i used to get AA staff + chalice + blue just so i can manage my mp with his ult costs.