A map idea involving more than just a generic request

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Verandure

06-16-2012

Well.. My threads all die before they even start so I guess I'll help to keep this one alive.

The argument I see being the most convincing against this would be: LoL is a MOBA game which is played for it's single game type. While putting CTF in would give variety that a ton of us would probably love, it also pulls some of the attention away from the Defense of the Ancients roots that LoL rose from.

My personal argument against this is that LoL was inspired by DotA from a popular RTS custom game. That same game has innumerable other custom games which flow in the same vein: Tower Defense, Mazes, Capture the Flag, etc. Personally, I would love to see LoL do all of those (A heimerdinger's TD or an Alistar's maze), but it might not be within their power to do so.

This new gourde shape confuses me. The lanes going out and coming back... I just don't know what to think about it.

DonnFirinne

06-16-2012

@Maxijazz
That's a choice the team will have to make. Also why I don't think the channel time will be that low.

@slyguy6802
There's also a reason why I went fairly different from the current norm. Riot has said before that new maps/modes have to bring something new to the game. They won't put out a new map that is essentially the same as SR or TT or Crystal Scar. If every map has 3 lanes, a 1-person jungle, turrets guarding the lanes, and a nexus destroyed by attacking it, they won't get put through. I understand there are reasons for having lanes in SR, but my purpose is to be different from SR, and the reasons they exist there need not apply to this map. If you want 3 lanes, limited jungle and all the other **** we already have, honestly we already have it so there's no point in trying to get more of it.

@Verandure
Try refining them more and posting them again later. Or come up with another idea. Find one that resonates with the community.
They have already brought in a new game mode, Dominion, and they have been successful with it. I think a combination of not having the resources for new maps and not having a big profit return on the investment has stopped Riot from making new maps. But then again, Dominion is fairly recent in LoL's history, so maybe it's just taking them a while. Either way, the community wants it, so I'm going to try to help the community work for it, so maybe Riot, in trying to be the most community-friendly company out there, will listen.
I took a chance with the lanes, and I actually kind of like it. It was brought up as an idea, but I don't remember who said it. If it turns out it doesn't work with the minions, I'll try something else. Give it some time though.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. The more I get, even those who dislike my ideas, helps me know what you the community wants, and that's what shapes the map. Just to put it out there, what I've seen the community ask for the most, not just in this thread, is more jungle area, breaking away from the 3-lane system, and a new game mode. Those are the main idea that I want to hold to as this map develops further.

Tommyokay8

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-16-2012

Hmm, i have an idea, but i'm not sure if it'll work with what you have, but you could have two flags, one in each jungle, and the objective is to get into the enemy team's jungle, and retrieve it back to your base. :S just a thought.

slyguy6802

06-17-2012

Did you even read the link I sent you before you replied because you are seriously missing the point. I've been on gaming projects before so it'd be wise of you to heed some advice from a well meaning colleague.

Brahzinski

06-17-2012

Taking a neutral flag and bringing it to the enemy base...
More like some Infiltration instead of Capturing. I'm guessing its being called a "flag" as a placeholder until whenever. Something more along the lines of a bomb or something destructive seems to be better than a flag...

Plant it at the enemy Nexus, it explodes, Nexus gets damaged.

DonnFirinne

06-17-2012

@Tommyokay8
Perhaps on a different map. For this one I'm set on how the flag currently is.

@slyguy6802
I'm pretty sure I know what your point is, and I disagree with your reasoning and think that what you see as flaws are not as critical as you seem to think. If you don't think I'm understanding your point, then you should explain it more, instead of downvoting and telling me "you don't understand." That's just unhelpful. I'm not difficult to work with, I'm open to changing things, but when I have reasons for doing something, I won't just change on one person's whim.

@Brahzinski
Capture the Flag is a general game mode name to give people an idea of what this map is about. Sure it's not the classic idea of capture the flag, but do you find this to be a problem?

KoB Heathcliff

06-17-2012

what if they made a map with multiple floors

DonnFirinne

06-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchFluttershy View Post
what if they made a map with multiple floors
Probably way to hard to code

DonnFirinne

06-18-2012

I have had too much feedback to let this die. I promise I'm working on the newer map, and hope to have it up by the end of the week.

aerilis2

06-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnFirinne View Post
Updated: 6/16/12

Ok guys, I've got an image to go with a map idea. Keep in mind that it is the earliest of drafts, so things may be disproportionate or out of place, but all can be changed I really want to get some good worthwhile feedback on this map, so maybe one day map creation can be taken as seriously as champ creation, so don't hold back. If you have any questions ask, I'll check back and answer. As long as I'm getting feedback I'll be updating this post, so read through it all first please.

Game Mode: Capture the Flag
Lanes: 2, with minions
Teams: 2 teams of 6 each

Primary Objective: Capture the flag from the center of the map and bring it into the enemy's base.
Secondary Objectives: Killing enemy champions, securing neutral buffs.
Win Condition: First team to 100 points wins. 10 points per flag capture, 1 point per kill, (Bonus points for scoring an ace?)
Edit: Someone mentioned that Nexuses seem to have importance in League maps, so perhaps instead of a count up to a winning score, each point counts against the enemy's nexus health, similar to Dominion.

Flag Details:
  • The flag would spawn at the center after a certain amount of time and the primary objective would be to capture it and take it into the enemy base, scoring your team points.
  • Capturing the flag requires a channel of 15 seconds
  • After being dropped the flag will reset to its original position after 60 seconds. This will reset if any attempt to recapture it (starting the channel) is made
  • Before being taken both teams will have limited vision immediately around the flag (credit to TeknoWizard)
  • Dropping the flag would be on a hotkey by default (G maybe?)
  • Holding the flag may carry an MS debuff where all bonus MS is removed except for boots and abilities.
  • Holding the flag grants Tenacity (credit to wickedsiik)
  • Capturing and holding the flag count as actions which break/prevent stealth
  • There is a respawn timer on the flag of 1 minute after being captured
Minion Details:
  • Minions would come out of the respective bases and head down the lanes as usual and meet at the halfway point.
  • Once the flag is taken by a team, the other team's minions as well as jungle creeps will automatically aggro to the flag bearer (maybe the entire team) on sight, to make travel toward the enemy base more difficult.
  • I had a thought of putting a slight MS debuff on minion and monster attacks (only while the flag is held) to further hinder travel, but this may be unnecessary due to the limited base entrances. On the other hand, the limited entrances may make it too hard to get in. I really need some feedback here
  • Minions gradually get weaker between their base and the mid point. This will allow lanes to reset to the middle if left alone
Summoner Spells
  • Teleport will not be available for selection, it would be overpowered/abused on this map
  • Flash (and related abilities) will not be limited on this map by anything but the terrain
  • Ideas for new summoner spells are welcome
Misc. Details:
  • Wards: Longer timer and cheaper cost (credit to Lasie)
  • Swamp: I put up a second version of the map with some added, but it's just to get some feedback on it. In swamp champions would have slightly reduced MS and vision (credit to Verandure)

Ideas
  • Something happening when minions reach the far end of the lane, possibly disappearing and giving global gold to the team of origin. (credit to TeknoWizard)
  • Summoner Spell: Reveal - (similar to TF ult) places markers showing where each member of the enemy team is, but not granting vision, for a short duration.
  • Flag Debuff: Reduced damage dealt
  • Flag Debuff: Increading damage taken

Again, any thoughts are welcome, I especially need neutral buff ideas and feedback on items in the "Ideas" section. If I get enough positive feedback, perhaps a Rioter will stop by. Thumbs me up if you like the idea, even if you have no feedback to post about.

First map is the original. The second map is a work in progress in response to several issues with the original map. It currently has only the lanes, bases, flag area, and major monster pits.
This is a nice idea, but one question. What would the minions do if they reach the flag capture point?