When to turret dive?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xCry0x

06-05-2012

So I am getting ready to start playing draft and eventually ranked, I am at a point where I generally win my lanes or if I face a hard counter I can maintain lane and farm. When I play ad carry I generally win lane hard and carry hard.

Issue is I keep running into this situation when I play support bot.

My carry dives a turret, dies and blames me.

When is it considered the correct time to dive? When I play AD I rarely dive a turret since you end up taking so much damage at low levels the risk is generally not worth the reward imo unless you and your support are full hp and the guy you are diving is killable in 1-2 hits.

Example of what happens when I play support:

I am Taric, AD is Sivir vs a Leona/Vayne

They are winning and being aggressive, leona gets close to sivir, I stun leona, our jungler comes in and we kill leona but since vayne was staying back from the get go she manages to roll & flash away with about 200HP. At this point sivir is ~half hp, I am ~80% and our jungler is ~half health. Sivir flashes and takes off after vayne leaving us both behind, runs through the turret takes 2 blasts then vayne ults, tumbles back pops up behind sivir and shoots her once or twice for the kill at which point I am just catching up and stun vayne and our jungler finishes her off but then their jungler comes out of bush and kills us both due to us being on the turret.

After this our sivir starts raging on me for not doing more damage to vayne saying I suck etc.

Basically this same situation has happened a few times, sometimes I obey MY instinct and dont run off into the turret which results in getting yelled at, other times I do which typically ends up like the above and yeilds yelling as well.

So going back to my original thought, I feel like diving is bad unless you have a large advantage. Am I doing something wrong? I feel like it is not my responsibility, especially as a full support, to 'do more damage' and when people say that they are just noobs raging since as a non ranged aa or AP champ my 'damage' is very limited.

acosn

06-05-2012

Your carry is a moron. Tower diving two characters who have a snare and two stuns between them is already a bad idea (it becomes three when Leona hits level 6) and Vayne's a master of the carry - carry duel. Between condemn and tumble she can end up surprising you with a lot of burst.

In other words unless you just have a massive advantage, can actually survive the turret, or have a way to hard-counter hard CC (cleanse, QSS, ect) you don't want to dive teams with large amounts of hard CC.

xCry0x

06-05-2012

Well leona was dead but it was a very low hp vayne vs a sivir and me + jungler trying to catch up but yea what you said is basically what happened. Sivir thought "Oh free kill" and vayne turned around and dropped a bomb on her after she ran through the turret.

Thanks.

Kirielis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-05-2012

Yeah, what he said, your carry is a moron. In bot lane, the support always initiates the dive, if you're diving at all. You do not want your carry to take turret hits until he absolutely has to, and if your carry doesn't know that too, then he's a moron and it wasn't your fault.

In that situation, don't chase, it's better to give them one kill than two.