Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Jungler For Beginners

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Support Is Hard

06-04-2012

I have wanting to expand from my mains and I would rather like to pick up jungling. I would simply like to know who are the best junglers and who are the easiest for a new jungler?

webbut

06-05-2012

Warwick is pretty much the standard new person jungler because he can go through the creeps easy and can hold his own in a fight with a lot of the junglers who might try to invade.

If you already play shen he isn't to terrible to start on. It's nice because if you are already familar with him you don't have to learn a character and how to jungle. Plus if u are already good with him and can land his taunt then you don't have to worry too much about learning how to gank better.

Trundle is also a good place to start. He has lots of escape tools and can dragon at level 6. There have been games when i was learning trundle where i wasnt doing that well score wise but i made sure to get every dragon and the gold advantage helped the team enough to make up for it.

DonnFirinne

06-05-2012

I'd say I play jungle about half the time (other half is AP mid, go figure) and I like more of the non-standard junglers, but I'll do my best to give you a good idea.

My first jungler was trundle. The key points with him are knowing how to use his q for auto-attack resets and placing his pillar for ganks/teamfights. He's not the fastest or the strongest jungle, but he's fast enough and sustains enough to be a pretty safe in the jungle and shouldn't get counter jungled too hard. Haven't played him since his free week ended though.

The strongest/most picked junglers of the pros at the moment:
Mundo - The fastest and the strongest, and no need for blue. I've never played him, but in NA he's pretty much always picked or banned. His first clear is scary, but after that he will wreck everything. Spam cleavers and AoE to win. His Baron/dragon time is just straight up unfair.

Nocturne - Long range presence post-6, fair sustain (nerfed at early levels in upcoming patch, but he should still be ok). Spell shield is good to avoid getting cc'd to prevent your gank. Fast enough clear not to be easily counter jungled.

Udyr - Very fast clear time, no need for blue, but if you're being competitive, please don't first pick him. He is so susceptible to being countered by a kiting champ, it's hilarious to see pros first pick him. He's strong, but I personally dislike him.

Nautilus - I picked him up for laning, didn't have much success, but still thought he was badass. I went into the jungle with him right about the time that the pros started making him a pick or ban every game. His clears are slow, and his damage is low, but if your lanes are ready to put out some damage, your ganks will be successful. Nobody can escape his cc, not even a black-shielded morgana. Make sure you can AA reset with his shield and land your hooks. You can make or break games. He's my favorite.

Lesser used/up and coming:

Shyvanna - well liked by professional junglers. Her clears are strong, can donate blue always, and her ganks deal so much damage, they'll either die or have to back. No cc (except her ult's push, if you count that) so get a phage early and always get your red for important ganks. She hasn't seen too much competitive play lately, but still strong.

Riven - Seen more and more lately. I really don't know much about her. She's a tanky DPS champ with high mobility and a stun. Try it if you want, I guess. I really can't say more than she's been used in tournament play.

Amumu - A tanky jungler with about half Nautilus's cc (which is still considerable, don't get me wrong) and deals more damage. Build him tanky and AP for maximum DPS. Not really competitively used, but still viable. I personally appear to suck with him, as his free week wraps up (that was not a mummy joke)

That's about all I know for specific champs. Definitely try out the jungle though, it can be great fun, and a lot more active than laning sometimes, and it's rather underrated at the moment.

JustMyBassCannon

Recruiter

06-05-2012

Don pretty much nailed it.

My personal favorite is Shyvana. Ungodly clear time, and amazing late game because of AoE damage output.

Zyrelia

06-05-2012

Skarner is a good and easy jungler. Fast clear time, great ganks, good utility for the team. Just a word of warning: the jungler is the first to get flamed at by a team. If you play as someone with a weak start (amumu, nocturne, warwick), tell your team in advance that you won't gank early on. If you do gank, you don't always have to secure the kill. Getting them to back is nearly as good.

KingRadishMan

06-05-2012

Nobody really gives Maokai any love but I feel he is a good test for seeing how much your jungle skill improves.

Maokai is tougher to use but he is an extremely versatile and disruptive jungler once you get a feel for his abilities. It also helps that he is one of the fastest jungle cleaners and doesn't need a leash

He was my first jungler but he's not the greatest for a first pick. I would say the best jungler to learn on would be Warwick or Udyr.

Invictrix

06-05-2012

People have covered most of the good junglers, but I want to talk about some average/unusual junglers. I tend not to play solo top a lot on my team, so I have found alternative uses for a lot of my solo top champions.

Malphite- I feel he was made for the jungle. He has an aoe to clear quickly a slow to start a gank and at level 6 gets a sweet knock up to own people with. His granite shield lets him stay in the jungle longer as well. Sunfire cape is a really good item on him along with randuin's omen so consider both of those. Frozen Heart is awesome as well.

Wukong- He is a pretty good solo top, but he can jungle well as well. He can clear ok and at level 6 his knock up results in some really awesome ganks. Also getting blue buff at level 1 really solves his early game mana pool problems.

Volibear- He has the jungler tag, but he is also a pretty good solo top. He can clear pretty quickly and he has decent ganks once he levels his rolling thunder and majestic roar and with red buff it is almost always a kill.

I feel these junglers are pretty good for people who don't jungle a lot especially malphite because they can do well after the laning phase by iniating and tanking or off tanking in teamfights. Just make sure your team is ready.

Dark Kuno

06-05-2012

Quote:
DonnFirinne:

Udyr - Very fast clear time, no need for blue, but if you're being competitive, please don't first pick him. He is so susceptible to being countered by a kiting champ, it's hilarious to see pros first pick him. He's strong, but I personally dislike him.

The pros often 1st pick him because he can solo top just as well as he jungles. That means just picking Udyr doesn't mean you've chosen your jungler. It gives you a champ that is still powerful while retaining pick flexibility depending on what the opposing team picks.

Perhaps Perhaps

06-05-2012

Quote:
DevilledPrimate:
I would simply like to know who are the best junglers and who are the easiest for a new jungler?

I think a good deal of the junglers have been covered, but I'm not sure your question has been answered.

There are a few ways to rate junglers... Ask Yourself:

Do They "Need" Blue Buff?
If not, you can give it to your AP mid and help them dominate their lane and/or team fights. Not only that, but this also means your jungle route can differ from game to game, leaving you flexible when faced with counter-jungling.
Great picks for this include characters that don't use mana at all, such as Mundo, Shyv or Lee Sin.

Can They AOE?
Because of the way the new jungle is set up, with one strong creep and a few smaller ones, AOE champs seem to have the greatest advantage in clear times.
Champs like Udyr, Amumu and Malphite boast a nice amount of AOE.

Do They Have Sustain?
Not all champions need sustain to jungle, and many do it without inherent sustain abilities, but having one typically makes your jungler less prone to dying if the enemy finds you alone in the woods. (Better for them to find you with 90% health, than with 30%. You may not kill them, but least you might get away! :-P)
Strong picks include Warwick, Lee Sin and Master Yi

Can They Gank?
Great ganks require one or more of the following things:
*Speed to close the distance and show up in unexpected locations...
*Gap Closer ability to close the distance...
*Snare/Root/Stun to help keep the enemy from retreating to their turret before your team can kill them. Red Buff helps, but it's often not enough...
Good Gankers include Skarner, Rammus and Nautilus

Can They Solo Dragon?
Depending on the elo you play at, you may have to solo dragon because you team can't or won't help you. Some champions can do this very early, and some can't get the job done for several levels.
Early Dragon-Soloing often requires a very specific build for a specific champion. Usually it's done at or before level 6.

That's the basics, really.

If you want to jungle, look at the champs you already own and ask yourself how they fit into the above catagories - the more of those tasks they can perform, the stronger their jungle will be.

If you've never jungled before, or if you're not yet level 30, I would recommend a high sustain champ - as you may not yet have jungling runes - with decently strong ganks. (Warwick, I'm looking at you old friend)

Best Zod NA

06-05-2012

WW and Udyr are probably the easiest champions to play in the jungle.