What should Riot do about Free Champion Week

Keep the Free Week Champion count at 10 2,449 26.89%
Change the Free Week Champion count to 15 3,154 34.63%
Change the Free Week Champion count to 20 948 10.41%
Change the Free Week Champion count to something 20+ 396 4.35%
Make all 450s free permanently, in addition to the current Free Champion Week System 3,723 40.88%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9108. You may not vote on this poll

Revising the Free Champion Week Concept

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pigslord

06-05-2012

not more then 10
freeweeks are metn to try chaps, not to play i the metagame

Hawkeye

06-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorryza View Post
When was the last time Evelyn was free?
I'm pretty sure this is intentional. They just don't want people playing Eve and would rather pretend she doesn't exist.

I do agree with slightly increasing the number of free week champions. After all, they raised the number of bans from 4 to 6 as the champion roster grew, and will likely further increase it to 8 for Season 3. The same principle could apply to the free champion rotation. Not much though, maybe 15 maximum.

That said, I don't think it will happen since champions = $$$.

SomeBoss

06-05-2012

Since ranked games don't allow you to use free champion rotation, this won't effect those games at all -- I think 15 champions per week would be great. It makes it so you can cover all the champions in a short period of time and doesn't increase the amount to such a ridiculous amount that you'd never have to buy champions. Another issue that needs to be fixed isn't the quantity of free champions but the diversity in the free week champions from week to week. I swear, someone can almost main Vayne as often as she seems to be free, while Ezreal, for example, is very rarely free. My understanding was a lot of the point of the Free Champion Rotation was to get people the opportunity to try champions. Well, I've been playing for about a year and have seen Ezreal free once, I think, while I've seen Vayne, Kog'Maw, Morgana, and a few others half a dozen times... I understand it's partly meant to make it easier on newer players, but I think that could/should be fixed.

tl;dr version -- 15 champs per week, increase variety so same champs don't appear over and over.

IICrows ZeroII

06-05-2012

Dota 2 is giving all the heroes for free... Riot could do the same I guess.

Dorryza

06-05-2012

The issue is that you aren't going going to just buy a champion, right? You need some way to try him/her/it first. The Free Week does that. The reason why they need champs in the meta is that it's bleeding over to lower levels now as well- there is always a jungler now even pre-10, as well as an AP mid, support/AD carry bot, etc. The new players need champs that fit into the meta, but they can't afford it.

Actually, this complaint really started because my friend started playing the game. He couldn't really fit in with the people that were free- there wasn't enough variety, and he couldn't buy champs. He also was never winning because he had no champs that were free that could fit into the meta, and therefore, lost a lot. In the end, he just gave up and left.

I also try out games that are good in the meta through free champ week. By no means am I suggesting you try out champs in a serious game due to the free champ week. But, as someone has stated before (so sorry, didn't remember the name =O) you want to try out every champ at least once, and that doesn't happen without the free week, or a ridiculous amount of ip/rp.

Love the discussion here!

-Dorryza

-EDIT- Forgot to add this. If there are more free champions per week, there are more people who will try them, and more people will like them, leading to more people buying them. It's like giving out free samples. People might try the sample, and might not like it. But others might try it, like it, and will then buy the complete thing. So, by doing this, Riot actually stands to make money, rather than lose it.

Blaine Tog

06-05-2012

I like the idea of making the 450 champs free. Fairest to new players, keeps the weekly turnover manageable, and means we'll get to try the obscure ones more frequently.

Centuros

06-05-2012

I never actually buy champs with RP... that's what skins are for!

Dorryza

06-05-2012

@Centuros: Although, others do buy Champs with RP. It's just another marketing option for Riot.

spread the word people!

Lícantropo

06-05-2012

Well here's my 2 cents:

First Great Topic and I support this discussion, this matter is something that many veteran players didn't consider because they already got a solid number of champions, so I will tell about each option in the pool with my opinion.

Keep 10: Agree with TC, since Riot is expanding fast the array of champions, 10 is becoming something less than enjoyable and even could mean less profit since 6300 IP/4800 IP/3150 IP/975 RP is (a bit) too much to spend without actually know the champion and see if it worth the investment.

Raise to 15: I agree with this option for the same reason as above, a few more variety helps these choices, I think raising the cap by 5 is what it needs to run smooth, especially since the 2nd most posted answer in the Free Week Champions (other than "**** week, maybe next one QQ") is that "I own (nearly) every champion". It could reduce these as well.

Raise to 20: Too much, most likely will spoil the fun of those who actually owns them also would make Riot make less IP reduction for avaliable champions and the combinations that make the weeks unique will be severely damaged by this vast number of champions.

Raise to 20+: Same as above + "Are you insane?, you will broke Riot"

Free 450 IP champs: Let's be honest, it's easy to farm IP for this guys, a whole day of play you can afford them, no need to become free. Also will help players directing what kind of role/champ they will prefer as well helps Riot keep the people spending .

Dorryza

06-05-2012

@licantropo: I agree fully with everything, although I might personally extend the raise to 15 argument to raise to 20. And the make all 450ip champs free also has the term included that Riot won't put them into the free champ week anymore, therefore freeing up more space in the Free Week for other champs.

Thanks for your in-depth analysis. I just might link this to the original post.

-Dorryza