What should Riot do about Free Champion Week

Keep the Free Week Champion count at 10 2,452 26.89%
Change the Free Week Champion count to 15 3,158 34.63%
Change the Free Week Champion count to 20 950 10.42%
Change the Free Week Champion count to something 20+ 397 4.35%
Make all 450s free permanently, in addition to the current Free Champion Week System 3,727 40.87%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 9120. You may not vote on this poll

Revising the Free Champion Week Concept

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

alsowikk

06-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindScorpion View Post
Checkbox poll. Voted for all options.
For lack of better options TC is letting it sit like that. anyways, this way there's 3 votes for change against one vote for the status quo.

alsowikk

06-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufflez561 View Post
I think that all recommended champions should be free, then all the non-recommended 450s should be bumped up to 1350. And Riot should keep the 10 free champions a week rotation. This way the new players have a decent variety of champions to play and Riot still makes money.
I'm here to be the jerk and poke holes in the argument(although it's a good idea worth considering and it took me far longer then usual to come up with this).

First of all, we're going to be giving away about 15,750 ip worth of champions(tristana wasn't counted because she can be aquired for free on facebook and the ip increases were accounted for). For free. It's going to take three champions for riot to get rid of the ip defecit(and alot more for the increased free variety given).

The only two non recommended 450's are kayle+Poppy(poppy was actually price reduced so I doubt riot will want to push her up again).

NOTE: I'm sorry if this didn't make sense, I can answer any questions(yes my ego is has large as the post is nonsensical)

Otherwise we can have up to 25 champions free. It's back up to the original 25%...but it's alot more physical variety. riot wants the free champions to be the variety themselves able to fill any role, but not so likely to be the champions you were dying to play or use.

The real issue here is...it kind of hurts riot. They give away alot of cheap champions yes, but they add up. They would do the first ever price increase and eliminate the cheap tier that helps newer players feel like they're getting something(and the quick RP dump the 400 rp's are).

Dorryza

06-09-2012

@Otake: Ah, that makes sense. You do have some play time under your belt: That's why you've noticed the champ rotation pattern so readily. Nice.

@WindScorpion: And? What's wrong with the Checkbox Poll? If anything, it gave me more support- you think all are viable options. Yay.

@Rufflez: Is Riot really going to raise champion prices? Because the way I see it, People will just see it as another instance of "Riot being Greedy (sound familiar?)" when they really aren't, by giving us the compromise in the 450s free. By only giving us the free Champs, Riot impresses everyone with their benevolence. But giving us the recommended free, but raising the price of the remaining 450s, Riot will only look greedy and desperate for more money, regardless of giving 450s for free.

Besides, the 450s are dirt cheap anyways. Riot won't lose much money at all, yet still give the extreme newbies easy champs to play. And, they don't end up getting accused of being greedy- always a good thing.

Great discussion btw. We need more people like Rufflez to toss out more ideas.

-Dorryza

Obake

06-09-2012

Any change will always be accompanied by some amount of QQ, but if Riot ever raises prices there will be a ragestorm. Not worth it.

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of giving the 450s out for free.
-Unless I miscounted somewhere, total IP cost of 4050. Less than 1 champ inthe top 2 price tiers. Not giving away a whole lot really.
-Lowest loss of potential sales. Because they're so cheap, I can't imagine people spend RP on these often. For the same reason, I'd bet they are the most commonly owned already, so smaller potential market anyway.
-New players get 9 relatively easy to understand champions to try out every champ type.
-Those same newbies can more easily stick with 1 champion while they get a grasp of basic mechanics and strategy, rather than learning new champs on top of that.
-With every player having those champs as a base, Riot can not only open up spots on free week, but also loosen up the rules for difficulty spreads. More variety.
-Possible loss of sales for higher tier champs with now 19 champions available right off the bat (the 450s+ free week). I'd expect that to be minimal. You don't just want 'a mage,' you want that Xerath, or Ahri, or whatever your preference is.
-Foster goodwill with everyone that isn't the type to cry "I already have all these! Free Naut plox!"

I'm just not seeing a strong downside to this. I might be missing something important, or grossly underestimating the financial impact something like this would have.

Dorryza

06-10-2012

Wow. Very nicely put Obake.

Do you mind if I edit the first post to quote you? You've got some very nice arguments in there.

-Dorryza

Obake

06-10-2012

Feel free.

I'd also like to say, more as a message to Riot should they be reading:
It's not that the status quo is necessarily bad, I just believe it can be improved. It will get progressively worse as you continue to add champions, and some sort of adjustment will become necessary, rather than simply desirable.

alsowikk

06-10-2012

This is the post this thread needs, but not the post this thread deserves.

Dorryza

06-10-2012

@Also: That's mean lol

@Obake: Linked!

alsowikk

06-10-2012

@Dorryza, and I still refuse to pay royalties on the phrase

GodsInsanity

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-10-2012

make all 450 free would be the best...