Would you like to be able to Earn Riot points this way?

Yes! 480 79.34%
No... 125 20.66%
Voters: 605. You may not vote on this poll

How would you like to "Earn" riot points for free?

12345 ... 8
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kama Toki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-23-2010

(From my experience with some odd Free-to-play MMO Games)

Riot has tons of paying customers, they get nice fat checks for people purchasing skins and it's how the game works. However being a Free-to-play Game, LoL will always have people who are too stingy or simply unable to put money into the game for whatever reason.

Now that's fine, But what if they had a way to earn Riot Points without Paying through paypal or game cards? Something that was all online?

I'm sure you're familiar with how Internet revenue works, most websites are essentially 100% run by people like you clicking on those little advertisements on the top and bottom of the page. The advertising companies count all the clicks and pay up cash at the end of the month, it keeps the web going!

Now some Free to play MMO games had the brilliant idea to include an on-site area where players can fill out surveys on favorite foods/purchases or click Advertisements. Through this system the players could earn ingame currency while the company earned money it would otherwise not receive from non-paying customers. It was a win/win for everyone!

They also didn't try to pull off scams like "Sign up for this credit card and get 100 RP", Seriously if you implement this you CAN'T include Offers like that, they completely ruin the system.

There are legitimate companies that specialize in collecting marketing information to help them sell products more efficiently, not "What's your email so we can spam your inbox".

Overall i think it's a great idea, it would solve a bunch of these "I need 1 more RP" issues and would give players who are otherwise in financially difficult situations a way to buy more Teemo skins. I Suggest riot finds a partnership with a legitimate and respected Survey/Advertising company and starts offering this service, I know i would definitely use it.

Benefits

- Money for riot from players who otherwise would not pay.
- More consistent cash flow (Maybe)
- More money overall (I don't see how this could backfire)
- Players won't be stuck with odd amounts of RP they can't use, they can fill out surveys to make up that missing 1-100 RP for that skin they want.
- If done well will assure riot's dominance in the market. (Why pay for hon when you can take time and get everything in LoL for seemingly free?)
- You can finally try an IP boost out (you know you want to!)
- With the extra cash, riot can hire the dark versions of all riot employees (Dark Jesse Perring anyone?)

Disadvantages

-If done badly will make LoL look like a trashy F2P game (No god **** credit card scams)
- May give riot an excuse to sell power (lol)
- Might Encourage more teemo skins
- It might take quite a substantial amount of surveys to save up enough for a skin (might seem slow to some people).
- Could give riot a reason to not be nice and give 1-2 RP free sometimes for a skin/champ.

(Before you ask, Yes i have put money into this game, and no i don't have a silly amount of riot points sitting around.)

twixte

08-23-2010

tl;dr

Azuredragon653

08-23-2010

I'd rather Riot make money so I can play for free.

Lord Zhao

08-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by twixte View Post
tl;dr
You must have the attention span of a rock.

On topic, I like this idea, but for many games it's edgy, as you said: the advertisement web sites people are directed to must be both safe and legitimate or else Riot gets the heat for having those links up.

Orou

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuredragon653 View Post

Ackmey

08-23-2010

It's a good idea, I remember playing some f2p MMOs that did this, but yeah, like you said, a lot of offers end up being scams, the only ones that were ever worth it were the 5 minute surveys that didn't require personal information.

Raccool

08-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by azuredragon653 View Post
i'd rather riot make money so i can play for free.
qft

Kama Toki

08-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuredragon653 View Post
I don't understand what odd concept you have in your mind. However Internet revenue is quite profitable. Riot would be making more money no matter what.

TouchinMyself

08-23-2010

What free games that are any good are using such systems? The stupid mafia games on myspace and facebook?

No thanks.

killsteel

08-23-2010

Did you ever think this could prevent people from paying for RP? I see it costing Riot more than it gains. If people could get RP for free through surveys or whatever, then there's a good chance potential customers might end up not buying anything. Seriously, how could you not include that in your disadvantages?

With that said, sure, I like this idea as a consumer but I don't think it would benefit Riot as much as you think. Unlike most F2P games, Riot actually has a great product to offer, that people are willing to pay for. I don't think they need to add a gimmick like this.

12345 ... 8