Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


Some simple Volibear playability thingies

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JimMaru

Recruiter

01-22-2013

Guys, it will take a while too, but see, it wasn't long before Volty came to this thread that they made a thread looking for Sejuani feedback. Now they said that Sejuiani's "rework" is in the middle, posted some ideas and said that they will probably release one other rework before Sejuani (but also hinted hers won't take thaaat long to be released).
So I guess small reworks are going to take as much as one semester tops to be released, on worst case scenario. They are probably releasing one of the hard reworks (Karma or Heimer) and then Sej. Maybe after that the other one and only after that Voli. We will probably get an update on Voli's rework in about a month I think.

Also remember, they are not releasing champions as frequently as they used to. They are focusing on champion Gameplay and Visual reworks now, so this shouldn't take much longer for us to hear about it and when we do and get the tweaks we will be probably mostly pleased as Riot's quality seems to be evolving day by day.

---

On another subject: Today I had this weird dream where Morello talked about a lot of changes and tweaking we would be receiving and one of the first of them was about Volibear!
They had clean up his scaling so he doesn't scale that well with AS (probably a fixed number of hits on his ult instead of a period of time, similar to WW's ult.
I guess that then they would remove the passive AS from his W and would be able to give much more power and reliability to the rest of his skills.

But that wasn't the best part of hit! Volibear also had gotten a whole new exclusive item!
Though I remember what it was about, I don't know what the item did, though.
So I will leave this question to you to heat up the subject:

- If Volibear had an exclusive item called "Ursine Armor", what would it do?

In my opinion this would most definitely give him health somehow, but would probably have to give him something else to make it "special".
I'd say it would either give him ult procs passively every once in a while, or give him a defensive boost or shield either when his ult is activated or when his passive is procing.

Well, so what do you guys think?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Iklo

Senior Member

01-22-2013

Quote:
JimMaru:
Guys, it will take a while too, but see, it wasn't long before Volty came to this thread that they made a thread looking for Sejuani feedback. Now they said that Sejuiani's "rework" is in the middle, posted some ideas and said that they will probably release one other rework before Sejuani (but also hinted hers won't take thaaat long to be released).
So I guess small reworks are going to take as much as one semester tops to be released, on worst case scenario. They are probably releasing one of the hard reworks (Karma or Heimer) and then Sej. Maybe after that the other one and only after that Voli. We will probably get an update on Voli's rework in about a month I think.

Also remember, they are not releasing champions as frequently as they used to. They are focusing on champion Gameplay and Visual reworks now, so this shouldn't take much longer for us to hear about it and when we do and get the tweaks we will be probably mostly pleased as Riot's quality seems to be evolving day by day.

---

On another subject: Today I had this weird dream where Morello talked about a lot of changes and tweaking we would be receiving and one of the first of them was about Volibear!
They had clean up his scaling so he doesn't scale that well with AS (probably a fixed number of hits on his ult instead of a period of time, similar to WW's ult.
I guess that then they would remove the passive AS from his W and would be able to give much more power and reliability to the rest of his skills.

But that wasn't the best part of hit! Volibear also had gotten a whole new exclusive item!
Though I remember what it was about, I don't know what the item did, though.
So I will leave this question to you to heat up the subject:

- If Volibear had an exclusive item called "Ursine Armor", what would it do?

In my opinion this would most definitely give him health somehow, but would probably have to give him something else to make it "special".
I'd say it would either give him ult procs passively every once in a while, or give him a defensive boost or shield either when his ult is activated or when his passive is procing.

Well, so what do you guys think?


When I think of Ursine Armor I think of all the traditional builds that go with Volibear. So Atmogs, Fratmogs, with wits and maybe a Sunfire in there. That being said:

Ursine Armor

900 Health
20 Attack Damage
30 Armor
30 Magic Resist
15% Cooldown Reduction

Unique Passive: Basic attacks slow the target for 25% for 2 seconds.
Unique Passive: Converts 1.5% of health into attack damage.
Unique Passive: When Chosen of the Storm procs Volibear gains a shield that blocks 350 damage for 3 seconds.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Builds out of:

Kindlegem (850)
Phage (1465)
Giants Belt (1000)
Cloth armor (300)
Null-Magic Mantle (400)

5000 gold item cost or 985 with recipe

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unique item for Volibear. Gives him all he needs to tank, stick to targets, and has some damage thrown in there. Only problem is that it costs 5k and it takes up one item slot which maybe op haha. Rush this, get Sunfire, Spirit Visage, Wits, Mercs, and GA. God mode...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Iklo

Senior Member

01-22-2013

As I have started messing around with builds I have begun to realize that Voli is extremely item dependent and that means that item choices have a dramatic effect on his dueling capabilities. Throughout many games I had poor farm ratios compared to others during mid and late game and it would cause me to lose my damage and effectiveness during late game. Now that I have found a pretty solid build for Volibear I have come to the decision that Voli needs no help. I feel like his scaling and ratios are very poor and I don't think there would be any difference if they were removed from his kit entirely. I do think that many people tend to build health items, which is good, but they build the wrong health items to start out with to help Voli's overall effectiveness mid and late game.

Voli needs a good amount of farm or a small snowball effect to gain an advantage over his opponents through items which is very possible through duels top. To help his farm throughout the game I recommend building Sunfire Cape against ad lanes. This helps his early game tankiness and also helps him clear waves quickly. In addition, Voli is very situational and is hard countered by constant harass champions like Jayce, Nid, and Dar. He excels in lanes that rely on duels for trades, not poking. I have also noticed that some people rush Warmogs or Kindlegem items which imo is a poor choice because of the lack of damage, besides your w, the lack of sustain, besides your passive, and the lack of farming capabilities. I believe what alot of people are doing wrong with Voli is building him wrong. You may be a Voli Veteran and play him incredibly well, but with Voli's dependency on items it would highly benefit you to build him correctly early game. I would strongly consider building Sunfire Cape for tankiness, armor (which counters ad lanes), and farm (which many Volibears have a hard time with). Thanks for reading.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Bullettime7

Senior Member

01-22-2013

Kinda wish jungle Voli (you know..what he was designed to do?) wasn't so bad. His clearing is pretty mediocre, "meh" ganks, and he's just too item dependent...


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Iklo

Senior Member

01-22-2013

Quote:
Bullettime7:
Kinda wish jungle Voli (you know..what he was designed to do?) wasn't so bad. His clearing is pretty mediocre, "meh" ganks, and he's just too item dependent...


Too true my friend. His primary role is a jungler and he is balanced around being a jungler, yet he has one of the slowest clear times in the game, near Naut and Alistar clear times, but he does have devastating ganking potential. Many champions now have a form of slow, dash, or stun that does counter Voli ganks and make him even worse as a jungler. Many people play Volibear top lane which is pretty damn good as of now, but it is sad to see his primary role being ignored.

The problem with jungle Voli at the moment is that his clear times are so bad he falls deeply behind and this makes him have no advantage on his opponents. In addition this cripples his item dependency because of his lack of gold from slow clears. All in all, Volibear is definetly better top lane.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ophirr

Senior Member

01-22-2013

Just a thought for his E, make it so it can fear pets such as Elise's spiderlings. Just makes more sense.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

JimMaru

Recruiter

01-22-2013

I don't know about Elise's spiderlings, but it DOES fear clones and minions like Shaco's clone, Morde's ult clone and Yorick's ghost...

@Iklo
The item is a bit too OP and would take so long to build with no premiums it would be had to build into it from early game, which is the time that decides whether Voli will be a monster or very weak in that game.

Also, as much as I do think he is item dependent, and his role in the game can vary a lot depending on his build, I don't really think that it makes much difference what item you build early as long as you build health (a giant's belt) early.
It's because of his binary nature and lot's of free base damage in his kit. He needs only one or two kills early game to start to snowball hard.
As long as he can survive 12 seconds during his ult in a fight he will probably succeed and health is the best way to survive longer in all-in trades early game.
Not only this but health does gives him more burst damage, so it will also make you will be able to finish the enemy off after those 12 seconds.

I have to agree that Sunfire is a pretty strong item on volibear too. You have to stay a long time on your enemy to kill it, so the proc on the cape means you will do twice the magic damage your ult would do alone early game while also surviving longer in the fight.

All in all is a pretty good suggestion, I will have to try some time, but I do really think that a giant's belt will let you snowball from there if you know what you're doing. So the first item you finish is not an end-game decision.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

?XJ9

Junior Member

01-23-2013

Quote:
JimMaru:
Voli's rework

Why did you and Iklo randomly come up with the idea Voli would get a rework? No one from Riot has ever mentioned that.
NO CHANGES TO VOLIBEAR. How many times do I have to repeat this? Will you finally stop asking for adjustments to him? You are starting to piss me off by bumping this thread for SO long that Riot is almost forced to read it.
I main Volibear jungle/top and if you want private lessons on him add xVoli or Voli 4Charity on EU west.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Iklo

Senior Member

01-23-2013

Quote:
?XJ9:
Why did you and Iklo randomly come up with the idea Voli would get a rework? No one from Riot ever mentioned that.
No. Changes. To. Volibear. how many times should I repeat this? Will you finally stop asking for changes to him? You people are starting to piss me off by bumping this thread for SO long that Riot is forced to read it.
I main Volibear and if you want private lessons on him add xVoli or Voli 4Charity on EU west.


Lol, buddy.... Like I said before and I now agree with you completely I do not think he needs a rework. I dont know how many times I have to say it! I do not want him changed! I want him cleaned up. It is arrogant people like you that I dont understand that keep repeating the same thing even though it has been told to you many times over again.

Clean up his q bug, his r cast time, and maybe look into the pointless ap scaling on his r and e that no one builds upon. I dont know if you have noticed boy, but you and I are outnumbered. Look at the front page, over 800 upvotes agree with this subject. You also have your facts wrong because Jim and I came in LONG after the subject of reworking him was brought up. The first page is where it was introduced and I came in 100 pages after that and 150 for Jim. Please before you go on a crusade against a certain thread atleast get your facts straight.

Edit: I also wanted to clarify that I also main Volibear and I agree now that a rework prob wont happen nor is it necessary, however, it is still something that we can talk about and discuss. The main problems with Volibear are his bugs. I think the q bug is obvious, his r cast time is not needed at all, and his scaling on his e and r just seem odd to me because there is no point to build ap on him... I win almost every time I play Volibear unless my team feeds beyond comprehension.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

?XJ9

Junior Member

01-23-2013

Quote:
Iklo:
Lol, buddy.... Like I said before and I now agree with you completely I do not think he needs a rework. I dont know how many times I have to say it! I do not want him changed! I want him cleaned up. It is arrogant people like you that I dont understand that keep repeating the same thing even though it has been told to you many times over again.

Clean up his q bug, his r cast time, and maybe look into the pointless ap scaling on his r and e that no one builds upon. I dont know if you have noticed boy, but you and I are outnumbered. Look at the front page, over 800 upvotes agree with this subject. You also have your facts wrong because Jim and I came in LONG after the subject of reworking him was brought up. The first page is where it was introduced and I came in 100 pages after that and 150 for Jim. Please before you go on a crusade against a certain thread atleast get your facts straight.


Why do you want him ''cleaned up''? There is nothing to clean up, the cast time is there for a reason, there is no Q bug if you learn to aim and the AP scaling is not useless. Try building nashor's tooth on him mid game. Also if you don't want him to be reworked why do you keep using the word ''rework''?
If he would clearly be bugged and needs to be cleaned I do not understand why I still main him, have over 65% win rate with him in ranked and a KDA of 8-3-7. I really do not.