Some simple Volibear playability thingies

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

GREETINGS

12-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExaltedVanguard View Post
One thing I find incredibly frustrating about volibear is that when I fight him, I can never really tell how big he is. To be more direct, I can't tell if his passive is up or on cooldown, so I can't make an educated decision about if I should engage or not. It's INCREDIBLY frustrating to jump in only to find out he has another 1000 health after hard-engaging.

It would be nice if a small particle were added when his passive is off cooldown. Similar to how Diana's weapon will glow when her passive is charged. This relatively simple addition would make him a lot less frustrating to fight and, I think, easier to balance. Part of his power comes from the fact that you can't tell how powerful he is. I don't really think that's a great way to do things.
Wrong. When you click on him and look at his buffs, you will see that his passive is either on cooldown or not. Also, the passive does not regain 1000 hp until you reach a very, very late phase.

ExaltedVanguard

12-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREETINGS View Post
Wrong. When you click on him and look at his buffs, you will see that his passive is either on cooldown or not. Also, the passive does not regain 1000 hp until you reach a very, very late phase.
I didn't know it would show up there. Pretty obscure knowledge, I guess. Either way, that's a poor way to send the message... In actual game play, you don't have the time to click, look up at the buffs, find the buff, look back, and then actually target him with an ability.

He might be running away and low on health. He's getting close to his team. You have to make a split-second decision to gap-close on him and take him out or not. If you don't kill him fast enough, his team will just kill you. He's at the very edge of your gap-closing range.

In that situation, you just don't have the time to be looking for a buff on his info page. A small but noticeable particle will tell you what you need to know before he gets away. Then you can make an educated decision on what to do.

And I'm so very sorry I used a hyperbole to demonstrate a point. An extra 500 health is still a ton. (That was sarcasm, in case you didn't catch that either.)

Youkai Ningen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-24-2012

Maybe we can list how much his passive actually heals? (Not just the % an actual number) Also I will be happy if they fix the bug where his q will sometimes throw someone forward instead of backwards.

YoshiStampedeBlu

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

12-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volty View Post
This. The motivation to revisit Volibear is largely to resolve this binary nature. I will only consider any changes a success if they create more fun gameplay and counterplay than we have right now.
You should also fix the occasional bug when volibear flings people forward instead of backward.

Pie Kills

12-24-2012

I like bears

Iklo

12-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie Kills View Post
I like bears
I love bears.... Merry Christmas Bears.

Decoylegends

12-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volty View Post
I believe this was fixed not so long ago, but I'll confirm. Thanks for pointing it out.
Maokai's W Twisted Advance still resets mobs. Although he shouldnt really be using it for jungling, it's still inconvenient.

Naota5656

12-25-2012

When I was watching Wings's stream one day he said that Volibear was an ok champ, its just that his ult is just damage. Any guide will tell you people can just walk out of it. It lacks fear it can place in an enemy team and is pretty situational to have the effectiveness of your usual ult. I am personally a big fan of all of Volibear's skills except for the ult, I believe that needs the most attention in a rework.

K K0

12-25-2012

I think it would be cool if Majestic roar when activated applied 2 slows one a couple seconds after the initial cast and was called "Majestic roars". Of course the slow would have to be less than it is now (maybe 2 seconds each roar) This would allow him to chase better (not catch up to them but actually stick to them) and it would be decent in team fights.

What do you guys think?

Knight of Dusk

12-25-2012

Happy holidays one and all!

I see Volty came by again, that's cool. Volibear and the Northern Storm skin is on sale too. The Burr sure is getting all the attention these days. I'm surprised, in a good way!

@ExaltedVanguard
I do sort of agree with alerting people to his passive with visuals should be done. BUT it being mysterious is a big part of how many Volibear players use him. Baiting and trickery. Underestimating Volibear and being punished for doing so is one of his special talents. Should that really go away? (Personally I don't mind it, but I know many Voli players would be OUTRAGED)

@Volty
Speaking of which, why not give Volibear innate resistances on his passive... that scale with something?

I think a big deal with Volibear is that he needs to stay in combat a very long time, and his lack of shield or other defensive steroid makes his initiations dangerous even when tanking.

So taking the time, gold and inventory space to build damage when going for a fighter or bruiser approach can be a dangerous journey. So why not throw him a bone?

Something like Jax, but less ultimate worthy. Maybe give him 10% of his AP as resistances? Or if AP does go away (Please no ;o; ) have it work with AD instead?

He'd only ever gain 30-40 tops bonus armour and MR and very late game at that, but it'd be something. And it would make building damage or getting some occasional cool AP utility item much more encouraged. He's a bear, he should be able to maul faces if he so wishes without too many consequences.

Just a thought.

EDIT: 750+ upvotes. That's 3/4 of the way to 1000! (I can do basic math, fear me!)