Some simple Volibear playability thingies

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Knight of Dusk

12-23-2012

Yeah Volibear is easy to shutdown once you know how to, and most champions can handle it too.

There is also the issue of there being better options most of the time no matter the role you need.

This leaves very few situations when you look at the draft and go "Damn, I know just the champion for this!" and proceed to pick Volibear.

He just doesn't fit in in the higher tiers of League play. I'm sure you can manage in soloQ, but if you have a ranked team, I think you'd rather have champions that are better at their dedicated roles once team fighting begins than someone who does a little bit of everything but isn't a powerhouse at anything. That's my understanding anyway, again, I've said it before, I don't do ranked, I could be utterly wrong. But I'd like to enter soloQ with Voli as my main. And I'm working on it on over at EUW. Gotta grind to 30 once more because HURP DURP DURP gimmicky summoner name I managed to grab.

(On the bright side, better ping AND I found the fabled community of ______ Bots. Prepare for the most predictable ranked team in history.

"Looks like Draven, excuse me, DRAAAAAAVEN Bot is going for Anivia, oh, no wait, he just locked in Draven.")

JimMaru

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-23-2012

I didn't get the last 2 sentences about the bots. But yeah. Volibear currently relies on the enemy's champion ability to make wrong choices and think they can kill you. That's why Heal bait Volibear was so common and still is even with Heal nerfs...
Awww. I want tomorrow to come already. It's sunday, so Volty will probably only answer to this thread by then.

A bouncy Furret

12-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMaru View Post
I didn't get the last 2 sentences about the bots. But yeah. Volibear currently relies on the enemy's champion ability to make wrong choices and think they can kill you. That's why Heal bait Volibear was so common and still is even with Heal nerfs...
Awww. I want tomorrow to come already. It's sunday, so Volty will probably only answer to this thread by then.
I'm really curious to see the direction they take with these changes. I want to play him againnnnn

JimMaru

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-24-2012

bump!

Iklo

12-24-2012

FM or warmogs?
Sunfire or Atmas?
Spirit Golem or Wriggles?
Wits or Zephyr?
Spirit Visage or BV?

Created a build in 10 min.

Mogs
Sunfire
Wriggles
Atmas
Merc
Wits

Durable, HP, Physical Damage, Magic Damage...

Thoughts?

Volty

Game Designer

12-24-2012
11 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalaug View Post
His Q and E sometimes reset jungle creeps. Please fix that.
I believe this was fixed not so long ago, but I'll confirm. Thanks for pointing it out.

Volty

Game Designer

12-24-2012
12 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
@Volty

You said something about either removing the cast time on his ult or make it something worthy of the cast time.
What about make Volibear's ult activation something like a PBAoE where he is struck by a thunder that creates a singularity and attracts enemies to him? (like Orianna's ball)
Enemies further are pulled less, enemies closer are pulled more, take damage and maybe are CC`ed some way? Then you make the damage on his ult less because he would be able to stay on targets more and have a more powerful and reliable initiation.
After discussing this a bit internally, I don't think we need to do anything this extreme. It is a good idea though, something I might revisit if first iterations don't succeed.

Volty

Game Designer

12-24-2012
13 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
It used to work. Volibear is very binary, give him an early kill and he will make you bear snacks all day.

But it's not healthy to a champion to be binary "I win my lane I win the game"... I don't know. This game need some champions re-balancing to fit season 3. The main thing I see that helped Voli is that, now that indomitable doesn't exist anymore, that 3 second fear REALLY helps him more than never.
This. The motivation to revisit Volibear is largely to resolve this binary nature. I will only consider any changes a success if they create more fun gameplay and counterplay than we have right now.

GREETINGS

12-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volty View Post
This. The motivation to revisit Volibear is largely to resolve this binary nature. I will only consider any changes a success if they create more fun gameplay and counterplay than we have right now.
Volty,
I truly do not see the need in changing anything.
Volibear is a perfectly balanced champion. I main him at 1800 elo on EU West and I don't see why people are saying that he is underpowered or whatsoever. It's all about playing a champion that fits your playstyle. My opinion is that people who say Volibear needs a buff/is underpowered, simply do not fit with Voli's playstyle.
Please don't change Voli, I love him the way he is.

ExaltedVanguard

12-24-2012

One thing I find incredibly frustrating about volibear is that when I fight him, I can never really tell how big he is. To be more direct, I can't tell if his passive is up or on cooldown, so I can't make an educated decision about if I should engage or not. It's INCREDIBLY frustrating to jump in only to find out he has another 1000 health after hard-engaging.

It would be nice if a small particle were added when his passive is off cooldown. Similar to how Diana's weapon will glow when her passive is charged. This relatively simple addition would make him a lot less frustrating to fight and, I think, easier to balance. Part of his power comes from the fact that you can't tell how powerful he is. I don't really think that's a great way to do things.