Some simple Volibear playability thingies

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Volty

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Game Designer

12-20-2012
9 of 14 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyraknoss View Post
Makes me rather hopeful, especially the "reach melee more consistently" as that's always been Volibears biggest weakness. Obviously some power has to fall off somewhere in exchange and it sounds like possibly we'll see more W stacks before Bite is useable which I'm okay with so long as they remain for longer before they fall off or at the least fade 1 at a time instead of a binary stacks are on or off like it is now.

Just please make sure that you're accounting for how the Q + E combo works right now. Reaching melee more consistently could mean anything from better slow, more movement speed to giving him tenacity during Q or ignoring unit collision. But the slow from E is just as vital to his current ability to reach melee as his Q. I believe i mentioned in an earlier post that about 40% of my successful flips are a result of the slow from E when I was having difficulty catching someone.
Yup! This is well understood!

Stormcloaked

12-20-2012

If stickyness is what you desire yes you will have to weaken the rest of kit sounds reasonable
and it will make volibear less boring to play in my opinion

Stexe

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volty View Post
Sounds good, I'd just suggest *not* moving the slow to his R. That would make pre-level 6 ganks very difficult.

CynicalGiant

12-20-2012

I really enjoy most of your champions Volty, especially Volibear. I love his all-out aggression playstyle and I would love for him to be a viable pick again. I have a few ideas, and I thought I would throw them out here:

General:
- Movement speed raised to 355 from 345
- Base armor increased
- Mana and Mana regen values increased

Rolling Thunder:
- has some sort of AD ratio to go along with the bonus damage
- flip range increased (currently sits at 300)
- Volibear is freed of all slows upon activation (kinda like Garen's Q)

W, E and R all get AD ratios as well of some sort, losing their AP ratios

Stexe

Adjudicator

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalGiant View Post
Ideas for Volibear buffs:

Rolling Thunder:
- Enemies are debuffed in some way when not facing a Volibear charging at them

That doesn't really work well with counterplay. You either run and get the debuff or stay and get tossed? Either way you're screwed.

His charge is fairly decent, maybe have it start up faster and slow down as time goes on -- that way he can jump out of the brush and go for the grab.

Any change you make with Volibear, I'd suggest making him still (if not more so) viable as a bot kill lane support.

CynicalGiant

12-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Draconem View Post
I had an idea though i don't know how much QQ it will cause.

As Volty said before the 2 solutions for his animation for his ult are A) remove the animation (AKA being boring) or B) make it worthy of an animation.

so what I am thinking is to have its own stun effect for 0.75 seconds upon activation. This stun is not effected by tenacity. bonus points if riot can have the status read "You've been...Thunder Struck!"
Better yet, Getting hit by a charge of lightning from Volibear's ultimate places a stackable debuff. On max stacks you are stunned.

Knight of Dusk

12-20-2012

My responses are in bold!

Quote:
Thank you everyone who has contributed to the discussion! I really appreciate your input and especially the varying points of view.

So big update:

I talked to Morello today, we have a gameplan to move forward with into testing. All skills will remain in very recognizable forms, but with some significant changes aimed a solving some specific issues. Without disclosing all the details, these are the goals (and some of the solutions.)

- Avoid pitfalls of the fighter role, including binary performance entirely dependent on closing to melee. In plainer terms, we want Volibear to reach melee somewhat more consistently but not become massively threatening until he spends a little bit of time there first. This is what I've felt is his intended function in the first place. ALL MY LOVE.
- Ensure jungle viability. Like preaching to the choir. Thumbs up!
- Clean up scaling, probably by removing AP in favor of other stats. (Health scaling to remain.) I'd like to see something different than AD if AP gets removed, keeping health certainly helps the thrives-on-drawn-out-conflict angle. Would love to see more catering to attack speed, it's become his thing more or less.
- R cast while moving, enough said. Much appreciated.

I also discussed our approach with Live Design, who are enthusiastic about the direction.

I will try to get the changes into playtest soon, and will post more updates as I can. YOU SIR, ARE A GENTLEMAN AND A SCHOLAR. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Fox P McCloud

12-20-2012

Quote:
Will he remain a fighter+tank or will be be moved more into a Ursa-like melee carry?

Oh who am I kidding, like that'll ever happen.

Knight of Dusk

12-20-2012

Quote:
I really enjoy most of your champions Volty, especially Volibear. I love his all-out aggression playstyle and I would love for him to be a viable pick again. I have a few ideas, and I thought I would throw them out here:

General:
- Movement speed raised to 355 from 345
- Base armor increased
- Mana and Mana regen values increased

Rolling Thunder:

I really like this one. Potentially with some slow reduction while it is active too, as being hit by slows while it's active is what generally bugs me the most. Especially since it doesn't go on cooldown until after the duration is up so your shut down for quite some time.

Alternatively, for some 'depth' put it on E. You can break the slows, but using it to engage safely means you won't be able to slow yourself until the cooldown refreshes as a balancing trade off. While also working as one mean disengage. But maybe that's too out there.

Knight of Dusk

12-20-2012

Quote:
Better yet, Getting hit by a charge of lightning from Volibear's ultimate places a stackable debuff. On max stacks you are stunned.
This could work, it's a little bit like Kennen (only he has more means to stack, it being a big part of his kit and all that). But Voli is an armoured bear, so he's infinitely more awesome despite Kennen being a ninja.