Some simple Volibear playability thingies

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Knight of Dusk

12-19-2012

@Cyraknoss; Thanks for taking time to actually give jungle advice, I'll give it a go when opportunity arises, thanks! :D

Edit: 700+ upvotes now.

Iklo

12-19-2012

Just jungled Voli the first time since his release. Was really surprised to see his ganks are extremely devastating. Once flash is wasted in a lane they cannot escape unless they have another gap closing escaping ability like Ez. His clear times are soooo sloooowwww though. I feel like if I do not get my first gank and get fed in the first 8 min then my whole game is ruined. Like say I get counter ganked by their jungler and their mid ap carry gets away and I end up dying to their jungler. GG Pretty much cannot do anything more because my farm is so slow and the other lanes will be getting wards soon which destroys Voli's ganks because he is too slow to get into the lane and gank. Compared to Hecarim's clear times at jungler Voli is a joke and Hecarim's ganks are about the same as Voli's devastating ganks, but Hecarim brings more early game damage and Voli brings more utility, atleast over Hec early game.

Knight of Dusk

12-19-2012

Voli ganks are very potent if your teammate can unleash the damage and coordinate around escape options. (I for one HATE ganking as a jungler without a team on voice chat, I've been spoiled in that regard in the formative phase of my jungling career) That said, I do agree that he is very vulnerable and slooow. Whether his ganking potential makes up for it I don't know. Depends on if Riot wants him to be up there on the jungler tier list.

Iklo

12-19-2012

Bump

A bouncy Furret

12-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteredIce View Post
From my current experience playing him top, many times I felt that I became very weak in sustained fights, if I had my ult up I was at a pretty good spot, but otherwise, all I seemed to do was smack ppl in the face for somewhat lackluster results. Regardless, he's one of my favorite champions and is still passable though not quite optimal perhaps in my opinion. I'm not quite sure what to change about him, but I'd say the ultimate animation is definitely a place of interest for changes.

I do miss Ionic Spark though, was a great build option for him and Shen.
This is one thing I noticed when Voli first came out.

Sure I could instakill someone from 50% hp because his W was broken but after that the cool down was just way too long to ever use again in a team fight. I just smacked people with my ult and hoped it worked.

A bouncy Furret

12-19-2012

Once Volibear gets his fixes I might make another one of these threads for Rengar if Riot hasn't fixed him up by then.

If not Rengar then I'll find another one of my favorite heroes who could use some help.

Iklo

12-19-2012

I think now that I am jungling Volibear more I like it ALOT more than top lane. He is too vunerable to being countered too easily top lane. The only good thing top is that you get more farm, but if you jungle than you get assists and even kills in lanes and it allows you to snowball much better. Plus the ancient golem spirit stone is insane on him. I support either jungle or top Volibear now.

tolore

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

12-19-2012

heya just weighing in since I also love the bear.

I run him top, and prefer tank or fighter.

Definitely agree with original post, he just feels a bit wonkey in melee because of a combination of factors(mainly range of W, and cast time on R), and kiteability.

Maybe increase the range on W a tiny bit and add a hop, or make his Q immune to slow(or garen style break slows on him and/or reduce duration and/or effectiveness). I'm pretty okay with stuns shutting him out, but slows are a big deal and almost everyone(everyone?) who doesn't have a flash style gap closer has some way to lower/negate getting CC'd and never entering the fight(singed ult, garen slow break/reducer, singed ult tenacity).

edit: for the record if he were weakened in top and made a jungle I'd almost certainly have to drop him, I don't prefer jungle and rarely get to play it with my group, so I'd much prefer him left alone than changed to a jungler. Obviously not my call to make(and the ideal would be usable in both!), but that's what I'd prefer!

edit again: -

Quote:
His W becomes a nuke on a shorter cooldown that doesn't require stacks to cast, however having stacks greatly amplifies this abilities damage. No longer scales off health or acts like an execute (now scales off of AD).
I like the execute and health scaling on his W, I'd be really sad to see BOTH gone

Quote:
- New passive (credit to Knight of Dusk for this idea)
Storm Armour (Passive)
Every time Volibear uses a skill he gains 3 charges of Storm Armour. For every charge, Volibear gains 2.5 armour and magic resistance. Volibear can have a maximum of 15 charges. Whenever Volibear gets struck by an enemy champion, his armour unleashes an electrical discharge reducing their armour and magic resistance by double the amount (5 AR/MR) for 3 seconds. This effect consumes 1 charge of Storm Armour.
That seems kind of neat but I do like volibears old passive, great for baits, or fighting people you know don't have ignite(love finding/fighting junglers when my lane opponent is away and laughing as they can't possibly kill)

Quote:
- Q "bumps" away targets Volibear collides with during the movement speed burst (maybe just minions if it's too OP, the purpose is ignoring unit collision, but with a beary feel to it)
Love it!

AdvocateJake

12-19-2012

I was unaware that Volibear was considered a poor jungler, and I have achieved great results with him in solo queue. He ganks like a train, and he clears lvl 4 at around 4 minutes. with minor tweaks his moves would be on par with other similar moves and he would be perfect. his W should reset on kill like darius's execute. its cooldown is extremely long. that is pretty appropriate, but there should be some way to reduce it. maybe only a champ kill resets it. if his E shredded armor it would be fine. more damage would be an acceptable substitute. its range is fine. its cooldown is fine. his Q should make him ghost or push minions aside like I saw in this thread. maybe knocking a minion aside applies a very brief minor slow? obviously his ult shouldn't have a cast time considering the amount of damage it does and the scaling it is subject to. I am having lots of success with a very aggressive attack speed voli jungle. please don't throw him out without giving him a chance.

austseraph

12-19-2012

Just keeping this on the front page!