Some simple Volibear playability thingies

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Knight of Dusk

11-20-2012

Quote:
Just reading this is glorious.

Although an interesting point, the items made Voli stronger and more flexible but the same happened to other champions. Do you feel like the changes made Volibear even stronger and more flexible than what other champions got?
I thought about this a lot too when typing up that post. The Tiamat builds will probably benefit other champions with more AD ratios better than it does Volibear. But at the same time, thanks to your AS bonus, you'll be doing more damage after the initial burst of skills (and farm a bit faster). You also have your passive on occasion, so in a 1 v 1 with another bruiser, you might win if you both start with just enough health for them not to kill you with their burst, and not too much so there's time for them to start getting skills off of cooldown. But at the same time Volibear can disengage a bit easier, so you could flee if you happen upon a bad situation.

Quote:
it seems like you keep testing out super expensive/6 item builds? how has his early/midgame been for you?
what about black cleaver? i forgot the details, but i'm pretty sure it gives health now? could be a good choice on him.
His early and mid game is mostly the same, but since you'll be building more towards physical damage now, you'll have a tough time against armour stackers (so top lane in general). Black Cleaver is something I want to try out, it should work pretty well with Volibear like you say.

As for the price and these being full builds, you don't need the full builds to be effective. In fact, I have a general dislike for expensive builds, and I'd rather get a very cheap, but cost effective full build in most cases, if I get super fed, then I might start switching items out instead.

But builds should be more expensive across the board with items that didn't have anything they built into having got those options now. QSS for example, and Aegis of the Legion too. All the boots too now have 'enchantments' which also ups the price of full builds.

Generally you do fine with Aegis + Mercs + Randuin's for defenses, if someone is fed or has a lot of armor pen, you should get more of the relevant stat of course. And while these builds have expensive DPS items in them, those are very much luxury, because like you're probably thinking, in an average match on the Live servers, you are not going to be able to build all of it.

Also like I've pointed out, I'm not some high ELO pro, this should all be taken with a grain of salt, and I'm not offended if anyone thinks these builds are 100% stupid. But they feel all right, at my skill level. Where exactly that is, I have no idea. But there you have it

A bouncy Furret

11-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of Dusk View Post
I thought about this a lot too when typing up that post. The Tiamat builds will probably benefit other champions with more AD ratios better than it does Volibear. But at the same time, thanks to your AS bonus, you'll be doing more damage after the initial burst of skills (and farm a bit faster). You also have your passive on occasion, so in a 1 v 1 with another bruiser, you might win if you both start with just enough health for them not to kill you with their burst, and not too much so there's time for them to start getting skills off of cooldown. But at the same time Volibear can disengage a bit easier, so you could flee if you happen upon a bad situation.

His early and mid game is mostly the same, but since you'll be building more towards physical damage now, you'll have a tough time against armour stackers (so top lane in general). Black Cleaver is something I want to try out, it should pretty well with Volibear like you say.

As for the price and these being full builds, you don't need the full builds to be effective. In fact, I have a general dislike for expensive builds, and I'd rather get a very cheap, but cost effective full build in most cases, if I get super fed, then I mgiht start switching items out instead.

But builds should be more expensive across the board with items that didn't have anything they built into got those options now. QSS for example, and Aegis of the Legion too. All the boots too now have 'enchantments' which also ups the price of full builds.

Generally you do fine with Aegis + Mercs + Randuin's for defenses, if someone is fed or has a lot of armor pen, you should get more of the relevant stat of course. And while these builds have expensive DPS items in them, those are very much luxury, because like your probably thinking, in an average match on the Live servers, you are not going to be able to build all of it.

Also like I've pointed out, I'm not some high ELO mastermind, this should all be taken with a grain of salt, and I'm not offended if anyone thinks these builds are 100% stupid. But they feel all right, at my skill level. Where exactly that is, I have no idea. But there you have it
I'm just happy enough we have a man on the inside sneaking us the information we're too lazy / unable to get

Keep being a fantastic human being, keep doing random crazy builds, you could find the new OP (maybe not for Volibear, but hey. If Udyr building Innervating Locket made RoA Gragas OP then who knows)

Knight of Dusk

11-20-2012

Thanks and I will!

Also I already found the new OP.

It was called Crit Burst Volibear and it was so good Riot nerfed Sword of the Divine only hours later.

Goodbye Crit Bear, i-it was n-nice knowing you. Q_Q

Actually, the 'nerf' isn't that big, the active was more than doubled and it costs more to build. It'll keep people from spamming the active in lane for godly harass (possibly the reason for the nerf, just guessing here) but in a team fight it should still be refreshing like crazy.

Sir Loins

11-20-2012

If you take away/change volibear's passive I will cry. That's what makes him so dangerous to fight and when building tank you pretty much garuntee someone will waste an ingite on you.

XtremeButtPirate

11-20-2012

I like how there still hasn't seemed to be an official response, unless I am mistaken?

A bouncy Furret

11-20-2012

Kjsdfhdud, shiufh... diuhfdiuhfsiud!

Someone just pledged the 10k on Rob's kickstarter.

Quote:
I like how there still hasn't seemed to be an official response, unless I am mistaken?
Statikk said he thought Voli was bad in the big jungle thread.

A bouncy Furret

11-20-2012

Berrmp

A bouncy Furret

11-20-2012

Bump

A bouncy Furret

11-20-2012

Borp

choms

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-20-2012

As volibear was my first champion and the only one that I mained.

I support this thread.