Leona's Damage

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

redux32

06-02-2012

Thinking of picking up Leona, but I want to make sure that she's a decent tank before spending the IP. I hear she has a hard time keeping up with the damage of other tanks like Amumu. Is this true? I love her toolkit and sun theme, so I'd love to pick her up. I've never played against her though, so I really have nothing to bass my choice on. Any feedback appreciated

Best Zod NA

06-02-2012

She's fun, and a great aggressive support in bottom lane.

WelshDdraig

06-02-2012

I've never played AS Leona before, but I have played AGAINST her many times. Here's what I can tell you.

Leona NEEDS her teammates around. Her stun and slow will make her teammates spam their abilities with excitement while the victim will want to uninstall the game. This is how annoying Leona can be, as an opponent. She also has a skill that deals with champions with escape mechanisms; her drag can nullify that and she can just tank her way to victory. I've played against a good Leona before.... it was scary when they all pushed mid.

Majestaat

06-02-2012

She's a good tank and initiator. Very strong in bot lane if you can coordinate with your partner.
While her damage is decent during the early game, she can't quite dish out as much as say, Shen or Amumu. Because of this and her rather long CD, she's often rather useless after unleashing her combo.

However, with all that CC, it's not too hard to serve kills in a silver plate for your carry, or protect him from enemies once teamfights begin to take place. If you can make sure he does his job, then you did yours.

Zyrelia

06-03-2012

The sunlight debuff on Leona can actually do quite a lot of damage to enemies. She's used mainly for her stuns and tankyness. Your carry should be dishing out 80% of the damage, while you are dishing out 80%-100% of the CC. Taking exhaust will help you as well.

Sacred Salvation

06-03-2012

I can normally get 5- 8 kills as leona and around 20 some assists and 2-5 deaths...

As leona your job is to keep enemies locked down while your team takes care of them... I personally will leave bot lane for bits at a time and gank mid with me stuns for an easy pick up. Be aggressive as you can with your ghost and exhaust off CD but be able to get away if your summoners are on CD...

Her eclipse is a great dps tool that tanks damage for you, because of this I go Q then W then E* after getting all three of my skills i then max out eclipse or W. This does over 200 damage aoe and applies passive to enemies, at the same time lets you walk out after you stun them with your zenith->shield->eclipse combo taking no damage at all. After W is maxed max Q for the CDR on the stun. Your E is utility only so max it last. Pick up ultimate as fast as you can always.

For items i go the health regen pendant and a red potion. The extra sustain lets me zpone longer for my carry and tower dive for an easy early level 3 kill if need be. At first back i get philosopher's stone and wards or boots depending on money. After philo stone work for merc treads for tenacity and MR. After getting merctreads I find CDR is best on leona as it lets her get tanky but be much more useful in the game overall. I rush reverie after treads. Then get spirit vessige (the item that gives you 30MR and 10% CDR and 300 hp). After this get another kindlegem to get your 40% CDR then procede to get what ever your team needs be it armor HP or MR...

When making reverie and spirit visage make sure to start with kindlegem (reverie you will have philo stone already for reverie) to get your CDR.

For runes I use flat armour marks, flat armour seals, and MR per level Glyphs. Both my Q's are flat armor.

I find this best for the early game where you are most important for your carry. The ability to soak damage and then run in for a stun and kill makes leona dangerous, why not compliment that strength?

Notice i don't get any CDR in runes. In your masteries go heavy in defence and be 100% sure to pick up the enlightenment mastery to level 3, it gives 8% CDR by level 18 which gives you the 40% you need to own late game.

Not being level 30 my build is not complete as I can only dump my points into one mastery type, but i plan on putting the rest into utility for the mana and mana regen for early game sustain until philo stone.

For summoners i find ghost exhaust best for aggressive lane pushing and zone control whil replacing exhaust with teleport allows a non jungle team to have a leona gank every so often to keep an enemy team honest. teleport is also good if you can tell you need to play defensive in your lane so you can get back to tower quickly and keep it safe. I have never played teleport leona but it is viable.

By level 18 your Q should be 4.2 second cooldown. That means every 4 seconds the enemy carry cant move or attack, bringing it down quickly and then you can quickly stun other high priority targets. Your ult takes 36 seconds by this time so use it often as intiation then use it after popping reverie to pick off all running enemies. Be careful at level 189 of traveling in river by yourself. At this time you have over 3k HP and with eclipse around 200 MR and AMR but you can deal no dmg by yourself. YOU NEED YOUR TEAM. Also note that with such a short CD on your ult using it to safe allies while they are running form multiple enemies is easily doable with no downside. Always try to keep your friends alive and your enemies not moving.

Oh, and remember... The sun always rises XD

*(W and E are game dependant, if an enemy is almost dead and we can finish him of at level 2 i will get E for the engadge and stun for the kill, otherwise the dps and shielding from W lets you zone the enenmy for your carry)

Dark Kuno

06-04-2012

Leona is in general a fun champ to play and she is a very good meat shield and initiator.

Her problem is that she is the only champ in the game who gets no benefit from her own passive and she can't 1v1 anyone of equal level and items.

She absolutely has to have another champ with her to kill anything except someone at 1/4 health.

Her abilities are synergized to be used in unison/rapid succession. this leaves her high periods of nothing but auto-attacks between ability cds. But since her abilities all scale off AP you can't build AD without making them hit for nothing.

Because of this she also can't jungle or solo top. Again here her lack of an actual passive when alone further compounds the problem.

I love Leona, she is my favorite support to play. But That's my biggest problem with her. Her design/mechanics only let her serve that aggressive support/off tank role. And sadly, EVERY other tank in the game can out damage her and has the ability to 1v1 someone. Leona doesn't.

The only way Leona can kill someone 1v1 is they were dumb enough to attack her under her tower, and with few well placed/timed SoD and ult.

cavecricket48

06-04-2012

Leona is inherently flawed.

Her passive is her main source of damage, yes.

She needs teammates to trigger the passive. Hmmm.

Wait. Her teammates trigger the passive.

Therefore, kill her teammates. She can't get her passive triggered anymore.

You see where I'm going? Leona is providing a reverse incentive as a tank- she is putting a bullseye over the head of her teammates, rather than herself, because without them she can't do damage.

JesusPwns0926

06-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavecricket48 View Post
Leona is providing a reverse incentive as a tank- she is putting a bullseye over the head of her teammates, rather than herself, because without them she can't do damage.
But she isnt meant for damage she puts out so much CC and is SO tanky she can rarely be ignored.

Ęsir

06-04-2012

My build on Leona is Boots of Lucidity, Philo Stone, Frozen Mallet and depending on how long the game goes, Frozen Heart and Abyssal Scepter; on my own I can drop either carry down to less than half health without taking much damage so she has good damage potential. She's also one of the most difficult champions to escape from especially with a frozen mallet and with her insane CC it doesn't give her target much a chance to even get to her teamates. She takes some skill to land her skills perfectly but when she does she's one of the best support tanks in the game.