@Morello, can we talk about Urgot?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Emailsúpport

11-09-2012

They nerfed Urgot because he used to counter the AD, Support meta which made him first pick first ban.
Riot should make more anti carries like him and maybe this game would be a lot more interesting.

Ganelon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emailsúpport View Post
They nerfed Urgot because he used to counter the AD, Support meta which made him first pick first ban.
Riot should make more anti carries like him and maybe this game would be a lot more interesting.
In my experience, one of Urgot's best counters has always been a support - Soraka. You deny him Infuse simply by picking her and as long as she's competent enough to maintain enough distance from her carry that only one of the two can be hit with a single Corrosive Charge, her heal/armor buff will completely negate all of the damage that any locked Acid Hunters could possibly do. Once the laning phase ends, Urgot is no longer a threat to anyone unless your carry has no idea how to exploit an obvious advantage..

I would sooner say that they nerfed Urgot because he was successful in a tournament once. That seems to be a recurring theme, in any case.

Larbac

11-09-2012

Don't enter.
>> https://epicfreeprizes.com/?ref=1552750 <<

TenDz

11-10-2012

bump

GhostStalker

11-10-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morello View Post
It's a bigger project, specific suggestions really don't help a lot in this sense because we'll be changing things up a bit - making the current stuff invalid in some cases.
I don't get it. You're pretty quick to nerf things once it gets exposure, but then you guys take forever to fix 'em.

You should of just left urgot alone instead of knee-jerking it, and maybe the people who didn't go traditional bot (support and ranged adc) probably would of found really good ways to counter urgot.

I mean, if you have urgot on your team at bot, you don't have an ADC unless you put one mid. Which means you're a mage down. Which means the enemy team can build armor against you.

Ganelon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-11-2012

I could live with these things taking forever to be fixed if the people responsible for breaking them were willing to talk in the meantime. Why was a certain aspect targeted for nerfs? What, if any, alternatives were explored? Is there a possibility of it being returned when he becomes buffed again? All of these are questions I've asked that mean far more to me than mere acknowledgement that he was nerfed too much, and all of them have effectively gone ignored.

Even an answer that I don't want to hear would be more welcome than the silence we've been getting. If nothing else, it would allow me to stop checking and maintaining this thread multiple times per day.

TenDz

11-11-2012

bump

Ganelon

11-12-2012

Another day, another bump.

TheLastBaron88

11-12-2012

As per your question Ganelon, I think that Urgot's range and ability to harass enemies out of lane was what made him unique and special. Using Corrosive Charge to mark enemies and hit them over walls in the jungle made him great for jungle teamfights, especially when paired with the range on his ult. Without Range, Urgot is just an incredibly subpar bruiser, since he really has no hard CC of his own, making him more of a bruiser/disruptor than an actual Tank. His tankiness was really only necessary for allowing him to do something for his team during teamfight phase. And honestly, in his current form, I don't even find him to be that tanky.
I think giving him relatively higher health than average, and less resistances than full tanks, would be adequate for his defense, allowing his actual tankiness to come from his abilities, and thus allowing enemies a window in which they are on cooldown to put some damage on him, while still lending him the ability to withstand some harass. He should be the king of bullies, able to use range and slugging power to punish cowardly harassers for failing to commit to a fight.

Ganelon

11-12-2012

I'm glad that someone else - even if that someone doesn't have a voice among Riot's balancing team - sees things my way. They made a champion who only needed two abilities and now those two are being broken to make room for two more that never really fit to begin with. I mean, really, a position-swapping ultimate on someone with ranged auto-attacks? Why?

If it were up to me, I'd like to at least toy with the idea of making his ultimate a self-buff that revealed all enemy champions within 2000 units and gave him an alternate method of applying the Corrosive Charge debuff. Think Xerath, except with sustained damage potential rather than burst. It's not perfect (or even necessary - I'm fine with having only two usable abilities), but we're talking about the only champion who can zone a single target out of an ongoing teamfight here. He doesn't deserve to have that taken away just because people get frustrated laning against him, and as I've mentioned before, the two qualities can be easily separated by scaling his range up in a way that denies it to him during the laning phase.