AP or AD?

AD MASTER YI! 212 55.21%
AP MASTER YI! 172 44.79%
Voters: 384. You may not vote on this poll

Master Yi: AP or AD?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jason Only

08-22-2010

I have yet to see a half-decent AP Yi. All times I've met one (my team or the enemy's), it was an utter failure.

JunKx

08-22-2010

in ARAM games AP yi breaks games.

in regular AD is better. yi is not all about team fights, he doesn't do too well there since hes easily focused etc, but he tears towers down better than anybody else probably, and thus should be used to do so.
get your team of 4 to pressure a lane, and go tear down a tower in 5 seconds.

concretebuddha

08-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryedan View Post
No poll option for hybrid? AP early (get codex) then switch to Guinsoo/Infinity after nashors.

AP is a GREAT mid candidate, whereas AD is a better Jungle/Lanemate.
Just played with Ryedan, and his hybrid Yi build works. A hybridized Yi means that you can alternate between range and melee, while also being useful in all sorts of situations. The benefits to diversifying your stats are as follows:

• early lane harassment with alpha strike so you aren't gold/xp starved
  • single target damage during ganks with AD
  • alpha strike hits like a truck during teamfights
  • staying power during hit and run engagements with meditate
  • can still destroy towers with ease
  • enemies cannot stack armor or mr to counter you

Whereas if you stack pure AD, you are generally useless in 5v5 standoffs or versus any team with range/cc, and if you stack pure AP, then you are useless in 1v1 situations, or in the jungle, or while waiting for someone else on your team to dps an enemy down to below 50% health.

Binary Artis

08-22-2010

AP Tank Yi. So obvious.

Nashors, Lichbane, Zhonyas, GA, Sunfire, boots.

Elite hax!

Leveling

08-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by concretebuddha View Post
Just played with Ryedan, and his hybrid Yi build works. A hybridized Yi means that you can alternate between range and melee, while also being useful in all sorts of situations. The benefits to diversifying your stats are as follows:

• early lane harassment with alpha strike so you aren't gold/xp starved
  • single target damage during ganks with AD
  • alpha strike hits like a truck during teamfights
  • staying power during hit and run engagements with meditate
  • can still destroy towers with ease
  • enemies cannot stack armor or mr to counter you

Whereas if you stack pure AD, you are generally useless in 5v5 standoffs or versus any team with range/cc, and if you stack pure AP, then you are useless in 1v1 situations, or in the jungle, or while waiting for someone else on your team to dps an enemy down to below 50% health.
Hrm, that seems very viable to use.

Do you have a complete item build along with skill build? If so.. I'll try to test that.

But still not completely sure what to build since poll is always EVEN.

DeanKeaton259

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-22-2010

Obviously when Hotshotgg played Yi AP, he had 4 competent teammates to support him and play all of the required roles, so he probably didn't have to be the star of the team.

That being said, AP Yi is a total waste of Yi's damage dealing abilities. Wuju Style is the best passive/active damage skill in the game. Double Strike basically gives you an auto crit every 7 hits. Highlander allows you to chase, escape, and deal insane damage with the attack speed boost.

Alpha Strike and Meditation are not worth going AP for. Alpha Strike is a good farming ability early, but later on it's only good for dodging nukes, initiating on a chaser, or escaping. It's not very useful for it's damage. If you want to nuke enemies, there are much better champions you could play that actually benefit a lot more from AP than Yi does.

Meditate is also a waste because it can be interrupted immediately by CC. Every good team has at least a moderate amount of CC, so you won't ever be able to get off a quality Meditate in a team fight.

The moral of the story is that AP Yi = AP Fail

Malak al Maut

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-22-2010

Hotshot can make 4 boots of speed Nidalee look good, it doesn't mean it is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leveling View Post

Do you have a complete item build along with skill build? If so.. I'll try to test that.

The core is Nashor|Guinsoo|Edge

Lotus Guardian

08-22-2010

Hardmode yi I mean AP yi, because everything he do procs lichbane, also doublestrike works with lichbane, and gets ******ed throughout the entire game (if done right)

dogbiter

08-22-2010

an ad yi can use meditate not for the heal, but for the mr and armor it gives. if you see that you're focused (and stuned), use cleanse +meditate to ""tank"" the incoming nukes, while your team helps, then do what you need to do

concretebuddha

08-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leveling View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryedan
AP early (get codex) then switch to Guinsoo/Infinity after nashors.
He had a meki pendant and pots to start, then got a codex and boots (merc because the opposing team had ashe/morg). I can only assume that he levels alpha strike first, then splits the difference between meditate and wuju style.