Life as a tree.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Best Mid Nordic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-30-2012

So I've been playing Maokai bottom lane. At my elo, you never know what your match up will be. So what do you build on him? I max q and e in tandum right now, build an roa and try to get max cdr. I've been building Frozen heart pretty much every game. An abyssal here and there. Spirit Visage is common also for me. My summoners are typically exhaust revive.
I play Maokai a lot on SR as a jungler, but on Dominion I feel as if my entire job is to stalemate wherever I'm at. I set up ganks fairly well, and get a good many neutrals or caps on there bottom. My problem has been transitioning from the early game bully I play him as to late game CC utility monster that Maokai is.

Bughferd

05-30-2012

Start with cat and red pot
Build RoA
Grab your boots
Giants belt
Chain mail/Cloak
finish either Thornmail or veil
Finish which ever you didn't previously
Sunfire/ryails
Random item I like tome against sustain champs or just a rabadons when I have no better option.

Max
R>E>Q>W

Learn who you can play aggressive against Malz comes down with a tear? Bully him hard.
The important thing to remember though is that you don't always need to be running out in the lane you have great range and lane clearing power in e you can stay on your point all game and just spam that and still do fine. Don't set yourself up in fights you can't win.

Taenaryn

05-30-2012

I get as much CDR as possible. Generally do a tank rune setup, He's slow, so I usually get Mobility, and for defense I get Frozen Heart and Chalice. Then I upgrade Chalice to Grail. (FH and Grail order dependant on lineup, but Chalice lets you spam your skills more so it's useful even if you don't need the MR).

After that, the sky's the limit. I would definitely work some health into your build, and build defense if you need it or offense otherwise. If you're not bot, remember to walk around with someone unless you need to defend a point.

Skills: One in each, then share evenly between Advance and Sapling, max Smash last.

My usual combo is Advance > Sapling (right on top of us) > Smash. Unless it's a group fight then I usually work Maelstrom in there at some point.

FancyDan

05-30-2012

Mao was my bread and butter for a long time, so I thought I'd chip in my thoughts. If you're taking Mao bot, you can try and transition to being a group fighter, but I find it's more useful to play him as a tanky burst mage and commit to causing chaos bot all game.

My build is similar to Bugh's:
summoner - Garrison and Promote
cat and red pot
1a) boots if I need to dodge skillshots (morg, sivir, urgot) or keep your distance (jax, J4)
1b) finish RoA first if you're doing well in you lane and the opponent doesn't have enough juice to burst you down (AP yi, most other AP's)
2) finish your L2 boots (get whatever makes the most sense for the situation)
Now it's time to get your tankiness up
vs AP - Abyssal Sceptre, Odyn's Veil
vs AD - Glacial Shroud, then Thornmail, then Frozen Heart
vs Health stackers - Deathfire Grasp

Try not to put all your eggs in one basket. Mao's main weakness is a lack of escapes, so you absolutely need to be map aware, and if you only stack MR vs Malz, you WILL get repeatedly ganked by the buffed Darius coming down the middle of the map. Plus, having AbyssS, DFG, and FH means that your damage is still pretty nasty. You can choose to build more AP at this point if you need it, but I rarely do.

Your general strategy is to simultaneously push the lane and harass when you can. Do not use your W until you are sure you can burst the enemy down or are tanky enough to survive long enough for multiple casts. I agree that the proper skill order is R>E>Q>W in most cases. Your L5 E will push lanes like crazy. E is your most vital skill, as it your AOE push, scouting, and main defensive trap. You're shortchanging yourself if you don't max it ASAP.

Against most champs, you can push harder, so focus on getting your minions to neut their bot or being enough of a nuisance that they have to send 2 or 3 down to deal with you. You can literally do this all game, and if you manage to cap their bot, you can easily 2v1 almost all champs.

There are a few champs that can push better than you, and in these cases, you're better off going super tanky, foregoing AP, and just defending the point. Call for ganks often (or before the game even starts), and put that amazing CC to good use!

In my opinion, even or bad matchups are Malzahar (get that QSS!), Yorick, Urgot, Morde. Kogmaw, and Kayle. They aren't necessarily the best champs overall, but I find you have to play a lot smarter to win the lane because their kits can outmatch yours. Heimerdinger and Singed can stalemate you, but are unlikely to outplay you without help if you don't charge them.

Against most AP/skill spam champs, they will be constantly charging your passive. Hide in the bushes, poke with E and Q, and punch a minion whenever you have 5 stacks. You'll cancel out their poke, and they will either have to fall back or commit to overextending to do real damage to you.

ElevenOfClubs

05-30-2012

My core build on Maokai is CDR Boots, Abysal Scepter, Sunfire Cape, Deathcap. 9/21/0. MPen & tank runes.

If I think I can get away with low AP at the start, I go RoA first item, otherwise I start Prospector's Ring.

Maokai's E has a 1:1 AoE AP ratio if you get the double hit, and monster range. You can push the lane with a single spellcast from half the screen away.

You get tanky enough that you're very difficult to kill under tower. You can abuse your range to harass enemies under there tower and force 2v1s or get kills. You also support ganks really well.

Best Mid Nordic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-30-2012

I'll start going straight e first now. I've been building him like everyone else has suggested, but I've never gone deathcap. Typically I top out around 180-200 AP and everything else is tanky cdr aura items. Early levels, no one can push against me. I can typically get a neutral and just poke enough to force them to bring someone else down helping out top. I also keep control on the central health relic just from experience in sr jungling.
The only lanes I've ever really lost with Mao has been against a Malz and a Lee Sin, but the Lee Sin had constant help from at least one or more teammates, and my team wasn't the best and didn't capitalize on that.
What are some other bottom laners to try? I currently do Ryze, and Skarner if I can transition to top around mid game. Other wise I just play Maokai. Top lane I play a lot of Talon, Olaf, Fiora, and Poopy if I don't feel like trying. Lol

Warrrrax

05-31-2012

I have more respect for Mao bottom now. He is really really tanky and hard to kill. I played vs him with AD Mal and he was a quite tough fight. His combo definitely outdamaged mine.

SpiderParadox

05-31-2012

Early game you're going to outdamage most champions if you use your w-e-q combo. If you get out ahead on that milk it for all it's worth. If you're playing bot you need to force another champion to come down and deal with you, that's your job. (That and take their bot tower, but don't do that unless you're sure you won't get killed, try to stay in your own zone or you're just going to get ganked.

Build tanky, definately get RoA, he's a beast with it. Make sure you don't *STAY* bot the entire game. If you manage to grab their bot tower, throw a couple saplings under it to prevent capping. Make sure you have a sapling on the health point in the middle of bot at all times.

Most of all just map awareness, that's true for all champs but especially here.

Lethal stoner

05-31-2012

at start get

blastingwand+mana cryst
rush roa
spel pen boots or cdr
rylais
deathcap
sheen
some cdr or anything
lich bane

but if u get past sheen its a GG tough

(this is for bot tough)

for top check if u need defnsive items before deathcap and get mercs if neccesary but else stick to spellpen

Best Mid Nordic

05-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderParadox View Post
Early game you're going to outdamage most champions if you use your w-e-q combo. If you get out ahead on that milk it for all it's worth. If you're playing bot you need to force another champion to come down and deal with you, that's your job. (That and take their bot tower, but don't do that unless you're sure you won't get killed, try to stay in your own zone or you're just going to get ganked.

Build tanky, definately get RoA, he's a beast with it. Make sure you don't *STAY* bot the entire game. If you manage to grab their bot tower, throw a couple saplings under it to prevent capping. Make sure you have a sapling on the health point in the middle of bot at all times.

Most of all just map awareness, that's true for all champs but especially here.
Map awareness is one thing I'm good at, but know when to back off has been a problem. Like, if I just capped there bottom and I'm defending it, I tend to stick around too long or they'll backcap my bottom tower. I guess it's just my inner try hard showing trying to see how long I can hold it.
I guess what I'm trying to say, is it worth sacrificing myself if I force them to send 3 or 4 bottom? I've considered taking garrison over Revive or Exhaust due to this. If they do take me off a point, I typically take one of there team mates with me. Sometimes more.