How to counter Darius (serious)

1234511 ... 13
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Akesgeroth

05-28-2012

I'm making this thread because I'm tired of watching people pretend he's some invincible, unstoppable force of nature. I'm gonna go step by step, and I will offer some champs that counter him well in lane.

1. Laning phase

If Darius is laning, he'll be top. I tried him out bot as a "support" (kill lane) and it just doesn't work. If he's jungling, skip to the next section. Anyway, in the lane phase, there are a few things to keep in mind:

- He has no sustain. This means he's very sensitive to harassment.
- He sucks at closing gaps. Stop pretending his E has infinite range and no cooldown. The guy is one of the worst champs in the game when it comes to mobility.
- He has no escape and no survivability abilities. Getting ganked is almost a guaranteed death as Darius.
- There are several champions that counter him very well.
- As an AD caster, he's very sensitive to silence.

The trick here is to pick the right champion. So, what champions counter him? Here's a short list, those that most obviously counter him which are considered good top champs:

Garen, Teemo, Jax, Warwick, Kayle, Gangplank (Critplank to be precise), Kennen, Pantheon, Rumble, Shen, Renekton (not sure about him, but I heard a lot of people say he does), Yorick, Nasus

See that? A LOT of champs. They don't all counter him the same way, mind you; Garen goes in with his Q, silences him, turns on his W and his E, does full spin damage and then backs off, comes out on top since he will do more damage than he will take AND he has his passive that will heal him. Teemo can poke him like crazy, so can Kennen. Jax can dodge and stun and burst him before Darius can reply. Kayle simply uses her slow to mess with him, etc.

And even if you don't have the right champion, there are ways to deal with him, and by "ways" I mean let him push a bit and have your jungler gank him, and just 2v1 him. Unless he has flash, he's a free kill if he gets caught.

2. Darius as a jungler

Darius has one of the fastest clearing speeds I have ever seen. This means he's a great counter-jungler and that counter-jungling him is not the brightest idea. Keep an eye on your jungler and be ready to assist if Darius attacks. As for ganks... You shouldn't have to worry. If you ward, Darius becomes a non-factor. He can't close gaps well enough to be a threat unless you're pushed FAR on the enemy's side and you don't see him coming. You could say that's true of every jungler, but it's even truer on him.

3. Darius builds like a melee carry

Now, we're past the laning phase, and learning how to deal with him then. If he builds like a melee carry, he will do a LOT of damage. That is, if he's alive, which he shouldn't be, because he has no mobility and no way to reduce damage taken through abilities, making him a free kill the moment he's in range if he builds squishy. Basically, if you're losing to a Darius building like this, you have no one to blame but yourself.

4. Darius builds like he should be, AKA tanky DPS

Now, you have a Darius who built right. You're screwed, right? Wrong. First of all, at that point in the game, his damage falls off quite a bit except for his ult. If he's focusing one target and gets five stacks of his passive and spams W, then he'll do good damage, but what I'm about to explain should make it easier for this not to happen. Now, first of all, as before, he's STILL very sensitive to silences. Silence him and he won't be a concern. Second of all, he has no real gap closer, so he has to run all the way into the fight. "But his E!" you say, convinced you know what you're talking about. But your tank is in front, and he's certainly not gonna try to grab your tank.

Here, the trick is simply control + ignore. Have someone slow him or root him, kill the squishies on his team. Knockbacks work GREAT on him. Got an Alistar on your team? Headbutt. Either way, it's easy to make him a non-factor with just a tiny bit of CC if he builds this way.

5. Final words

If you disagree with me, you can keep going top as Riven or Irelia and wonder why he keeps murdering you, or not have your jungler gank him. I explained to you EXACTLY what you have to do, and it's up to you whether you'll pull your head out of your ass and do it or just say "NO IT'S NOT TRUE" and keep dying and begging for nerfs.

Akesgeroth

05-28-2012

Bump

migty1joe

05-28-2012

Ashe makes him usseless.
He is like Tryndamare, it depends on game.

IS19e711f4829b93c9513d6

05-28-2012

Inb4 the downvote militia gets you.

Zerglinator

05-28-2012

Kill him before he kills you.

SqueekersTheCat

05-28-2012

Upvoted. I've been saying similar since his release. 100% agreement.

AxeRaider

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-28-2012

how does temmo counter him isnt he entirly out ranged by darius, his auto range is lower then darius pull range

Akesgeroth

05-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerglinator View Post
Kill him before he kills you.
That's if he builds squishy, and if he does it should be easy to accomplish.

Cruxious

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-28-2012

His Aoe grab can pull through walls btw, happened to me a couple of times last night

Akesgeroth

05-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeRaider View Post
how does temmo counter him isnt he entirly out ranged by darius, his auto range is lower then darius pull range
Teemo has longer range than Darius' Q and E (slightly), moves MUCH faster so Darius can't catch him, and even if Darius gets on him he can blind him and run away. It's harder to do than on other counters, but a good Teemo player will wreck Darius.

1234511 ... 13