What does elo mean?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

2tazos

05-28-2012

And please no lmgtfy links

Chap Lipman

05-28-2012

Nothing at all.

2tazos

05-28-2012

LET ME REPHRASE THAT:What does elo stand for?

Cybeats681

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-28-2012

it doesn't stand for anything. if i remember correctly it's the last name of the dude who created the Elo system.

Chap Lipman

05-28-2012

Ah, then I haven't a clue

Rikukun

05-28-2012

from urban dictionary:

Arpad Elo developed the self-named elo rating system, a system designed originally to fairly calculate the overall rankings of chess players. Elo has also seen exposure in different sports and games, branching off to areas like Football, Scrabble, or Backgammon, and video games such as Guild Wars, Starcraft 2, and League of Legends.

In a roughly abbreviated explanation, players under the elo system are placed at a specifically middle rating, say 1200 in League of Legends. With subsequent games, players can increase their score from victories or decrease their score from losses. The fine tuning of points earned when winning or losing a game are usually made separately for each type of game, as different mechanics are involved.

to answer your question more specifically, it doesn't stand for anything, it was named after it's inventor.

Keiffo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-28-2012

Epic Lioness Opera

WhatDehFish

05-28-2012

Doesn't stand for anything, I believe "ELO" is a rating used in competitive chess tournaments named after the person who created it Arpad Elo

Darqside

05-28-2012

Elo doesn't stand for anything. It is a rating system, I think it was first implemented in chess.

MagicalDreamTime

05-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybeats681 View Post
it doesn't stand for anything. if i remember correctly it's the last name of the dude who created the Elo system.
hmm you don't say