Riven build

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

sthorwall

05-25-2012

Planning to pick up Riven as an option for ranked. Never played her before. Searched forums, everything seems vague or outdated.

Looking to get a consensus on her core as well as ideas for deeper build.
For example, my Singed core is boots3 and catalyst. My Jax core is defensive boots, wriggles, rageblade. My Irelia core is currently d-boots, wriggles, phage.

With Riven, should I go d-boots/wriggles/phage, or is their something better to maximize both utility and damage in her early game?

What about mid into late? Max AD before other multipliers? Shoot for Atmallet, or Bloodthirster? When is a PD justified?

Oh God Im Based

05-25-2012

wriggles, mercs, doran blades, hexdrinker, bt, finish hexdrinker, ga

dunno you dont really need wriggles you basically just stack dorans and rush bt

sthorwall

05-26-2012

Bump to catch more eyes... Love to hear from you,Såm...

The Chaingang

05-26-2012

I suggest starting with Doran's blade since Riven has a very good early game and Doran's blade will maximise this.
Your core items should be: Merc treads, Wriggle's and Brutalizer (CDR and Armour pen is perfect for Riven)
Next, look for items like Frozen mallet and Atma's impaler for health and resists.

Henry Plainview

05-26-2012

Bleh, I don't like Phage/Mallet at all, and Atma's is just terrible on her. I've tried Phage some (I have been playing way too much TT with Riven lately...) when I wanted more survivability, but I found the slow mostly useless since you're already more mobile than most champions, and you're trying to kill them as quickly as possible. Atma's is a terrible idea because Riven doesn't have much health, shouldn't be building much additional health, and has little use for critical hits. Phantom Dancer is never justified because Riven chains abilities so attack speed is not particularly helpful for her.

My typical build is starting boots, potions, and Q for more mobility and sustain during the inevitable bottom teamfight section. There's nothing wrong with Doran's, but I find that I play too aggressively if I start with Doran's because I overestimate how much damage I can do and I just get myself killed. I also like being able to catch fleeing enemies. Then I grab a Doran's, defensive boots, Brutalizer, and maybe one of the components of Guardian Angel. Some will say that you need to get Bloodthirster as fast as possible, but I've found that it takes sooo loooong to get enough gold for it on TT that you will not have any items for far too much of the game and will get shut down. With this progression the game is often over by the time I finish BT (although that is also because I almost always am in bottom lane with another person, and I like warding and potions). But if it's not because this is one of those looong TT games, finish GA, then if you're feeling cocky you can get another BT, but that will make you so squishy without your shield up. It's probably a better idea to get Aegis since your team probably won't have it and Randuin's Omen. This guide has a lot of useful information, although it is a bit overenthusiastic.

sthorwall

05-26-2012

Thanks for the comments (and the good link).

I'm hearing a lot of Doran's and Brutalizer, plus mercs (otherwise tabi) as core. Then farm for BT and gradually put together Randuin's (via warden) or Maw (via hex) or GA depending on opponents. Still might toy with a wriggles or phage, but that might all depend on team comp and jungle activity anyway. Thanks for the help.

Exotic3s

05-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by She View Post
wriggles, mercs, doran blades, hexdrinker, bt, finish hexdrinker, ga

dunno you dont really need wriggles you basically just stack dorans and rush bt
IYeah I do the same. I get D blade x2. hexdrinker get mecury treads. Rasorz than a Bt or IE.

Foxichu

05-27-2012

I play A LOT of Riven, I can help you.

Start:
Boots + 3x HP

First back:
2x Doran Blads ( Do NOT sell until space needed, even to finish an item)

Mid game (20 mins):
Merc Treads
2x Doran
Blood Thirster -or- Hexdrinker + Vampiric (Depends on how AP heavy other team is)

Late game:
Merc Treads
2x Doran
Blood Thirster
Guardian Angel
Maw of Malmortius

A complete build:
Merc
BT
GA
Maw
Last Whisper
-Situational- (Another BT, Frozen Mallet, Warmogs, etc.)

Don't get Brutilizer. Riven has high AD ratios, and the armor pen isn't worth getting. Straight AD or nothing.
Wriggles is possible, I don't prefer it. It's extra cost over Dorans hurts your mid game.
Max your W, followed by your E.
Auto Attack in between Q's, DO NOT spam it. I can't stress this enough.
ALWAYS shield when possible.

Henry Plainview

05-27-2012

That is good advice Foxichu, but I think you're underestimating the value of Brutalizer versus stacking Doran's. Flat armor or magic pen is the most valuable stat in the game for dealing damage, the CDR helps her jump around more (which has secured a kill for me many times), and the lifesteal of Doran's really doesn't help all that much when it's so easy to recall and run back into a fight. Also, I find that because there's so much less farm, it's very rare for people to buy enough armor for Last Whisper to be worth it.

Foxichu

05-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Plainview View Post
That is good advice Foxichu, but I think you're underestimating the value of Brutalizer versus stacking Doran's. Flat armor or magic pen is the most valuable stat in the game for dealing damage, the CDR helps her jump around more (which has secured a kill for me many times), and the lifesteal of Doran's really doesn't help all that much when it's so easy to recall and run back into a fight. Also, I find that because there's so much less farm, it's very rare for people to buy enough armor for Last Whisper to be worth it.
I understand what you mean by Brut not being that bad, but there is more reasoning then just the Lifesteal, which is also a big part of it.

For one thing, you don't get any health with a Brut, which Riven has none of in her core build. Lifesteal on her goes perfectly with her high-powered, 1:1 AD ratio shield. Armor pen isn't that great on her, as say Talon, who I would build it on. I just don't see it as worth it, especially since upgrading it to Ghostblade is worthless and it takes up a slot and gold.