dominion: early lead = auto-loss

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aberfirth

05-25-2012

ive been playing a good amount of dominion lately. I really enjoy the bloodbath style of play. the fast and constant action opportunity it gives as opposed to the other maps. i have been frustrated, however, with the advantage spawn time rule that is in place. (for anyone who doesn't know, there is a difference in the spawn times for the winning and losing teams. the winning team has double the spawn time of the losing team.) there are matches where i will have been winning the whole game, i will score a triple kill (and die shortly after) towards the end of the match, and the three champions i killed will respawn and capture a point or two while i (their executor) am still dead.

now i understand the goal of this rule, and i do enjoy being the "comeback team". it is starting to be a law of dominion however that the team that is losing in the beginning wins in the end. i end up going in to a game figuring out how to keep the score close so i can drop into a losing position with just enough time to swing a win. the scores and kill counts show the same thing. the team that has the points fails to pull through because they can't beat their spawn time... not their enemy. anyway just wanted to see what the community thought and share my frustration with anyone feeling similarly. peace.

EDIT: thanks for all the posts and the actual links for mechanic information. i actually really enjoy a few games of Dominion now and then. appreciate the respectful attitudes... peace

The Elk

05-25-2012

I am glad you have been enjoying dominion and I hope you stay! However your claim about respawn timers is incorrect. The base respawn time is 26s and the losing team is at -2 from the base and winning team is as +2. Additionally, for every 50 nexus health difference afterwards the variance increases by 1. So +3/-3 at 50 health difference, +4/-4 at 100+. I believe it caps at +4/-4.

What exacerbates this problem:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberfirth View Post
, i will score a triple kill (and die shortly after) towards the end of the match, and the three champions i killed will respawn and capture a point or two while i (their executor) am still dead.
is the other mechanic; the respawn window and its slightly more complicated. Brackar explains both here:

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1392045

Knowing when to back off and heal and when push is one of the hardest parts of Dominion. Checking who is alive at a given moment is really important. I personally like the mechanic but think that the initial respawn difference should begin at a 50 Nexus health difference, not 1.

inFe eD

05-25-2012

Eh, sounds more like an early game comp seizing the early advantage, as they should, then failing to press their advantage against a team that scales better. It's not easy to play an early-game centric team, since you need to know how to constantly apply pressure in order to prevent the enemy team from farming and scaling out of control.

Phourc

05-25-2012

That's not entirely correct, Elk - it now caps out at +/- 2 seconds respawn.

Edit: a lot of times an early lead ending in a loss is a product of becoming overconfident, know when to back off and heal. Keep in mind Dominion does not allow you to snowball nearly to the extent that you can in SR, so your enemies will always be a threat (by the numbers, at least) even if you're stomping them.

naotasan

05-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberfirth View Post
ive been playing a good amount of dominion lately..
This was all I needed to read that this is just a rage thread.
I've come back from over a 400 point difference (450:50) and won MULTIPLE times.

Dr Evěl

Recruiter

05-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by naotasan View Post
This was all I needed to read that this is just a rage thread.
I've come back from over a 400 point difference (450:50) and won MULTIPLE times.
It must have been climactic. Multiple times.

Infirc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-26-2012

since i'm lazy right now [insert a synthesis of what infe Ed and Phourc said ]

Risemix

05-26-2012

While the max timer difference is less than people say it is, I still don't like rubberbanding mechanics like this. If it's hard to hold a lead in dominion I'm ok with that, but I don't want it to be solely because the leading team is at a disadvantage on death timers.

The "small" difference is actually a pretty big difference... 4 seconds can be an eternity.

iProbie

05-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Risemix View Post
While the max timer difference is less than people say it is, I still don't like rubberbanding mechanics like this. If it's hard to hold a lead in dominion I'm ok with that, but I don't want it to be solely because the leading team is at a disadvantage on death timers.

The "small" difference is actually a pretty big difference... 4 seconds can be an eternity.
be grateful, it used to be A LOT worse, it used to be able to go up to like 12-14 seconds

Forbiddian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phourc View Post
Edit: a lot of times an early lead ending in a loss is a product of becoming overconfident, know when to back off and heal.
I find it's usually the product of having strong early game champions while your enemies have strong endgame champions.