Best "first" champs for each role

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MeltedWater

06-06-2012

I know I'll get flamed for saying it, but Fiddlesticks is a good jungler to start with. Here's why:

-He remains at top health while jungling. This allows you to stay alive if you get invaded, gank easier without dying, and cover someone's lane without being scared if you ened to. You also won't worry about dying, and you never have to use health potions.
-He's GREAT at ganking, especially at level 6. Get level 3 of W before 6, then max Q after to watch easier ganks.
-He doesn't need a leash. Chances are, if you're just learning jungling, not many others know anything about it yet either. People won't know what a leash is or how to do it. That's ok; Fiddlesticks doesn't need one.
-He's good at 1v1 against mostly anyone, meaning you're less likely to get invaded easily by a single person.

Also, for solo top, I recomend Gangplank, because he can heal himself to stay in lane longer and he can last hit real well, especially with his Q, which resets his auto-attacks, and gives him more gold for last hits. Using Gangplank also allows you to help other lanes with your ult, and increase your map awareness skills by trying to.

Gankin

06-06-2012

Soraka - Support
Tryndamere - AD Carry
Taric - Tank/Support
Shyvana - Jungler
AP Carry - LeBlanc

Powerstoned

06-06-2012

If the goal is to provide the best entrance into a role from a beginner's (say less than 200 matches)

I think everyone should learn and master Ashe first as ad bot, out of every champ. You can play in very high elo matches well if you know her strengths.

The next most important role to learn is maybe Lux - mid. I think she's best/easiest to get efficient at fast skills shots.

Xin or Riven to teach strong, frentic melee
fighting, 20/2/20 games, and building the proper ad/as items into late game. Either works top or jungle really.

If you can handle blitz, he's a great learn on bot as support, but learning janna and soraka is probably more important and provides a more direct support role. Taric is another good champ that teaches patience with abilities, which is a good way to do support.

With jungling, whoever you pick, because with their more wilder styles of play, watch youtube fast jungle runs for each individual champ before you play him. Learning by watching, rather than experimenting in the jungle is much more helpful i promise. The best jungler champs generally can't lane that well, but in turn have a higher learning curve, so it's hard to recommend. Rammus is maybe the easiet jungler champ to play, but he gets banned a lot. Amumu is about the same, easier to learn and good to know, strong jungler that is banned, so again hard to recommend. Skarner is pretty forgiving and hardly banned, hecarim, shyvana, nautilus, volidbear are tankier, not really banned, and also less dependant on jungle buffs to be worth a darn. WW is the old tried and true, but i dont like him, shaco is harder and not forgiving if your early game is weak.

Crazy Crann

06-06-2012

Support: Alistar. His W + Q combo is easy to pick up with a bit of practice and he's got the survivability to be forgiving of some mistakes.
Jungler: Warwick. Constant sustain makes him a must for anyone who wants to learn to jungle without a full set of tier 3 runes.
AD Carry: Graves or Ashe. Graves has a tanky frame and a good deal of escape, while Ashe is basically the definitive ranged AD carry.
AP Carry: Morgana or Ryze. Champions with good survivability. I would recommend Morgana, because she also teaches you how to master a skill shot.
Top: Rumble. Survivability is built in to this character, and he also teaches the player how to manage/monitor their resources (heat.)

Insípid

06-06-2012

The most difficult and UP champs should be learned. Playing OP champs like ryze to start raises expectations and gets u too familiar to his aggressive playstyle

XCodes

06-06-2012

All roles are best learned through the 450 IP heroes.

Annie: AP carry. Great solo mid. Most likely hero on this list to get First Blood.
Ashe: AD carry or Support/AD Hybrid. A better carry.
Kayle: Support/Tanky AD or AD Carry or Tanky AD. Very versatile hero.
Master Yi: AD carry or Hybrid carry. Great solo top candidate.
Nunu: Jungle or Support/AP Hybrid. Also a great solo top candidate.
Poppy: Jungle/Assassin. Doesn't have the sustain for a lane, but can gank like a superhero.
Ryze: Tanky AP or "AP" carry. Solid solo mid with Overload poking.
Sivir: AD Carry. Unlike Ashe, this one is pure DPS.
Soraka: Pure Support or Tanky AP/Support Hybrid.

There are two reasons for this: First, regardless of individual difficulty, these heroes all have a relatively low learning curve. While some of them have attack patterns/combinations, they're all very straight forward and they all do their job well. Second, since they have low IP costs, you'll get more IP to buy Runes with once you hit level 20, giving you a marginal power boost. (I know, everyone says runes don't do much, but +14 APen or +9 MPen is nothing at all to sneeze at, especially early.)

ViashinoWizard

06-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Gunn View Post
Nautilus is an easy jungle to learn with.
Not really. His initial clear is quite weak until he has two ranks of Titan's Wrath and he needs a strong leash.

My recomendations for easiest-to-learn champs:

Solo Top Bruiser: Yorick or Warwick. Yorick is THE safest laner and his skill cap is not very high. As long as you use his ultimate on your AD carry in teamfights, you'll have a meaningful impact. Warwick is another good choice because of his great bulkiness and sustain.

AP Mid: Morgana or Annie. There's a reason everyone bans Morgana: she's incredibly safe while bringing a lot to the table. As long as you are decent at landing her snare and can ult + Zhonya's, you'll do fine. Annie is very straightforward, her "skillshots" are all instant, and her stun is great. Just be sure not to cast Tibbers unless your stun is charged.

Jungler: Warwick or Nunu. Warwick isn't the fastest jungler and he can't gank very effectively until level 6, but he's incredibly safe in the jungle do to his sustain and good 1v1. And once he does hit level 6, Infinite Duress is one of the most powerful ganking tools in the game. Just remember to toggle Blood Scent off until you're ready to reveal your presence. Nunu is much the same, but with better pre-6 ganks and more support abilities instead of massive tankiness & damage.

Ranged AD: Ashe or Caitlyn. Ashe is very simple, yet effect, while Caitlyn is very safe (are you noticing a pattern yet?) due to her long range, traps and escape maneuver.

Support: Soraka. Soraka really is baby's first support. She's safe, easy to pick and use, and pairs well with any AD carry.

xCry0x

06-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCodes View Post
+1

If someone wants to learn a lane they probably do not have the IP to go out and buy Graves, nocturne etc.

That said, I think out of the 450Ip champions Ashe, Sivir, Annie, Ryze & Soraka are a much better choice than the others.

If you want a good solo top pick up cho'gath for 1350 - super easy to play because his passive heals you and restores mana and once you get going you can wipe out creep waves with 1 use of W so farming is really easy even if you fall behind early.

Crazy Crann

06-06-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCodes View Post

Annie: AP carry. Great solo mid. Most likely hero on this list to get First Blood.
Ashe: AD carry or Support/AD Hybrid. A better carry.
Kayle: Support/Tanky AD or AD Carry or Tanky AD. Very versatile hero.
Master Yi: AD carry or Hybrid carry. Great solo top candidate.
Nunu: Jungle or Support/AP Hybrid. Also a great solo top candidate.
Poppy: Jungle/Assassin. Doesn't have the sustain for a lane, but can gank like a superhero.
Ryze: Tanky AP or "AP" carry. Solid solo mid with Overload poking.
Sivir: AD Carry. Unlike Ashe, this one is pure DPS.
Soraka: Pure Support or Tanky AP/Support Hybrid.

There are two reasons for this: First, regardless of individual difficulty, these heroes all have a relatively low learning curve. While some of them have attack patterns/combinations, they're all very straight forward and they all do their job well. Second, since they have low IP costs, you'll get more IP to buy Runes with once you hit level 20, giving you a marginal power boost. (I know, everyone says runes don't do much, but +14 APen or +9 MPen is nothing at all to sneeze at, especially early.)
I don't disagree here, but I do think you could add Tristana and Alistar to that list, since you get them for free (from following LoL on Facebook and subscribing on Youtube, respectively), with a skin, and they're both great options.