Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How to play against Darius, a quick guide:

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tutskii

05-25-2012

Welcome to the League of Legends forum spotlight, this is Tutskii, and I will be posting some common mistakes made when engaging Darius that will hopefully contribute to a better understanding of the champion.

Darius is a melee DPS with no innate mobility or sustain. He is best most often seen in top lane.

His strength is that he is an excellent duelist, and should win most in your face melee engagements. Keep in mind that a lot of his damage comes from his ability to make enemy champions bleed, and this means that the result of a trade will not be immediately obvious as he will continue to apply damage for a short duration after the engagement. Also, his ultimate does 20% more damage per bleed stack, which makes it shine in lane as it will only ever do full damage to an opponent that is engaged and has let the stacks build up.

Autoattacks, Q, and W apply stacks of bleed.

His main weakness is the total lack of mobility and engagement options. His E has a rather long cooldown meaning he will only get to use it once per engagement even at late game. Beyond that, he can not harass a competent player, and attempts to do so with Q will often push the creep wave and cost valuable last hits/ leave him open for ganks.

While his spells are on refresh, Darius has no way to get out of a failed engagement, and will pay dearly for overcommiting. He can easily be kited by any ranged champion, and sending a competent ranged top will more often than not completely shut him down.

In team fights, Darius works as an assassin. He is not innately tanky, and will get to apply only 2 - 3 stacks by exhausting his abilities before he can ult. Any focusing or kiting will ruin his day as a competent flash after his E, and he is done.

Darius depends on map awareness and good positioning in order to inflict damage. When fighting against him keep in mind that there is no way for him to get close to you, and if your range is bigger than his E, you are basically safe from him as long as you keep your distance.

I hope this post is of use to someone.

Raek

05-25-2012

Play Vlad or Kennen. Or take Heal.

Blood Elf

05-25-2012

kennen,teemo,yorick,nidalee,riven,jax,leesin all beat ihm

Tutskii

05-25-2012

Quote:
Murrins L3:

Basically, but actually, any ranged AD cept for maybe Kog will run circles around him (literally).

And those are a standard part of team comps.

ColdBlood

05-25-2012

why is this getting downvoted? this is good, solid information. the idiots who post that he's op should read threads like this & learn something, instead of being useless whingers. +1 op

Tutskii

05-25-2012

TLDR:

Team fights: Drop whatever you are doing and focus him. He does not Yell and rage for 5 seconds, dart around, or do anything against it. He just dies.

Lane: Keep distance, stay in creepwave so his harass pushes and you can gank him, zone him if you are ranged. Dont let bleed stacks build up.

tolperion

05-25-2012

Quote:
Tutskii:
Welcome to the League of Legends forum spotlight, this is Tutskii, and I will be posting some common mistakes made when engaging Darius that will hopefully contribute to a better understanding of the champion.

Darius is a melee DPS with no innate mobility or sustain. He is best most often seen in top lane.

His strength is that he is an excellent duelist, and should win most in your face melee engagements. Keep in mind that a lot of his damage comes from his ability to make enemy champions bleed, and this means that the result of a trade will not be immediately obvious as he will continue to apply damage for a short duration after the engagement. Also, his ultimate does 20% more damage per bleed stack, which makes it shine in lane as it will only ever do full damage to an opponent that is engaged and has let the stacks build up.

His main weakness is the total lack of mobility and engagement options. His E has a rather long cooldown meaning he will only get to use it once per engagement even at late game. Beyond that, he can not harass a competent player, and attempts to do so with Q will often push the creep wave and cost valuable last hits/ leave him open for ganks.

While his spells are on refresh, Darius has no way to get out of a failed engagement, and will pay dearly for overcommiting. He can easily be kited by any ranged champion, and sending a competent ranged top will more often than not completely shut him down.

In team fights, Darius works as an assassin. He is not innately tanky, and will get to apply only 2 - 3 stacks by exhausting his abilities before he can ult. Any focusing or kiting will ruin his day as a competent flash after his E, and he is done.

Darius depends on map awareness and good positioning in order to inflict damage. When fighting against him keep in mind that there is no way for him to get close to you, and if your range is bigger than his E, you are basically safe from him as long as you keep your distance.

+1

Spacks

05-25-2012

Quote:
Tutskii:

Not innately tanky? He's got better defensive scaling then amumu.

Kairuek

05-25-2012

Quote:
Murrins L3:

I whooped Riven and Teemo's butts... Yorick and Jax whooped me. Never fought a lee sin, kennen, or nid top yet.

SublimeIbanez

05-25-2012

The sad thing, I have yet to face him.

I currently think his passive is slightly op, and maybe the refresh on his ult (it should lower the cd, not completely refresh it). But unless I play against him I can't confirm any of this, so I can't even claim that he's op...
I also feel Renekton might do well against him