What exactly is Vertical Sync?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TTDart

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-24-2012

Should I run vertical Sync on or off? Will this cause my FPS to go higher?

I currently run at 30FPS (I was at 18 before the recent update) Would doing anything to Vertical Sync do anything to my FPS?

Hygoro

05-24-2012

Good question.

HandOfBlood

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-24-2012

Actually I'm pretty sure turning it off increases fps, no clue why though

Pulsefire Vi

05-24-2012

Turn it on for gaming. It doesn't let your computer go above it's maximum framerate.

If it's off you can see tearing.

TL Frolo

05-24-2012

it syncs your gpu framerate to the refresh rate of your monitor

if you turn it off it sometimes causes graphical bugs and screen tearing

Rage Nymph

05-24-2012

Vertical sync locks your fps to your monitor refresh rate to reduce tearing. So you lose fps for usually a better experience.

Randith

05-24-2012

Vertical Sync attempts to make the frames transition smoother. "60 FPS" is what it will LIMIT your framerate to, in order to achieve this. It essentially makes your video card work harder.

Depends on the computer, but I always leave Vertical Sync off, as I never see tearing anyway, even when I have high FPS (100FPS+).

KillShift

11-17-2012

Bump!

I See Stars

11-17-2012

Locks the FPS to the refresh rate (Hz) of your monitor. It is used to prevent the GPU from rendering frames faster than the monitor can display them, causing tearing.

Arclune

11-17-2012

Lets say your screen refresh at an interval of 1 - - - 2 - - - 3 - - - 4 and so on.
Your GPU allows high FPS and you decided not to have vsync on. So it would be like 1 - 2 - 3 - 4.

Because of the mismatch in refresh rates, you might catch something off. Things like fragments in rendering.

Turning on vsync forces it to refresh at the same interval.
1 - - - 2 - - - 3 - - - 4
1 - - - 2 - - - 3 - - - 4