Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Darius - Creative Design Ask Me Anything

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Flana Scarlet

05-24-2012

I've got an odd question. Given his skill set, would Darius be (somewhat of) a sadist in combat, delighting in fighting (and inevitably killing) his opponent? Or is it more of a duty thing, just something he does to push Noxus to the top without much in the way of emotion?

Nice2835

05-24-2012

What are Malphite's views on Darius?

Hell, what is Malphite's view on ALL of the champions besides Maokai?

Harrow

Writer

05-24-2012

Quote:
Kikhan:
When will Darius and Swain duke it out?

I don't think this is on the cards any time soon. So long as Darius believes that Swain is the leader Noxus needs, he will continue to support him.

Quote:
Daxisheart:
What are his associations with other Noxian champions? I mean, there's the Might makes Right ideal of Noxus, but it's taken a fairly long time for a champion that blatantly embodies that idea in the name of Noxus - Talon is generally about surviving, Kat is a lot more about I LOVE BLOOD AND DAGGERS AND SH*TES, and everyone else is more about getting power or doing whatever they want, which, although is associated with the Noxian ideal, doesn't really seem to be doing it for Noxus, although Riven is a notable exception, although to be fair she's sorta trying to understand the ideal in the first place.

Talon and Kat are both intensely suspicious of the new leadership, but they haven't taken direct action against it. I imagine they suspect Swain - and, by extension, Darius - of involvement in DuCouteau's disappearance. But I think Darius keeps his distance from both. He wouldn't have had any direct interation with either of them in wartime.

It's more likely that he fought alongside Riven, however. I think Darius would perceive Riven as a traitor and a coward, to be honest - his solution to Noxian problems was to take action to solve them, while Riven's was to flee. At least, that's how Darius sees it, and Darius doesn't take kindly to Noxian traitors.

Quote:
Daxisheart:
There's a lot of THIS IS NOXUS GAREN going around, and this seems more true the more you look at it. Each embodies the ideals of their country, and actually act for their country. Although the origins are different, they are sorta in the same place socially nowadays. Isn't he essentially the Noxus Garen, then?

It's true that they're both iconic figureheads for their respective nations. The power structures of Demacia and Noxus are different enough that it's hard to compare their positions side by side, and their origins and character are different.

Quote:
Daxisheart:

Sorta related, what's the Noxus position on family? What if they're weak/strong? Obviously the lore/champ isn't focused on Darius's brother, which may or may not be expanded on later, but what about that?

Family bonds can be strong, and a family can become a foundation of strength. It can become easy for weak people to use their family name as a crutch, though, resulting in the kind of self-serving aristocracy that Darius sought to topple. But yes, it's clear that Darius felt a responsibility to keep his brother safe and alive - whether that was from love or pragmatism remains to be seen.

Quote:
Daxisheart:

Darius is recognized for his brute power, but he does respect intelligence and cunning, aye? Ignoring Swain's magic as an aspect of story/gameplay segregation (and his powers aren't explicitly stated about much), Swain doesn't exactly have much brute ability. An echo to the Noxian ideal again, perhaps?

Yes - Darius isn't stupid, much of his leadership ability comes from his pragmatic, calculating nature. He does recognize that Swain is better suited to the strategic, political manipulation of high command, and respects that as its own kind of strength.

Harrow

Writer

05-24-2012

Quote:
Zerglinator:
Who is Darius's younger brother? What is his name? Where is he now? I MUST KNOW!

That would be telling.

Quote:
Zerglinator:

What sort of "crucial battle" is the lore talking about? Because clearly, it wasn't crucial enough to decide victory for either Demacia or Noxus.

Demacia and Noxus were at each others' throats for a very long time. Many of their battles would have definitely seemed crucial at the time - over strategic locations or over smaller towns and so on.

Quote:
Zerglinator:

How does Sion view Darius? The first thing that comes to mind is the most awkward bromance ever.

Darius doesn't have much respect for necromancy - if you died in battle, you didn't deserve to survive. I'm not sure how Sion would react to this lack of respect, though, he seems pretty single-minded on battle now.

Quote:
Birdy51:
This is a bit more of a design question.

How long did it take you guys to shape Darius as a character? I'm just curious to know how long an idea for a character is in the pipeline. :P

For instance, we knew nothing of him until two JoJs ago, but did you already have an idea who this man was long before we saw that article?

The concept that became Darius was in development for a long time. I can't give an exact timeline, but yes, we knew who he was long before we published the last two JoJs.

Quote:
Warscythes:
Since Darius' entire philosophy revolve around "Might makes me right", what would he do if somebody managed to defeat him in every way possible, but this person would then start to do things Darius cannot possibly accept. Such as say murder his entire family in front of his eyes, would Darius believe the person to be right in what he is doing since according to his philosophy, the person who is the strongest is always right in what he/she does.

Or how would he react to that if just he can never defeat the person(no plot armor or power of friendship please), say what if the person who does this is a god of some sort that cannot be bested. Would he still stick with his philosophy?

I don't think Darius would consider himself to be defeated until he was dead. If he dies fighting a stronger enemy, so be it. I don't think Darius thinks in terms of "right" or "wrong," just that each person should survive by their own form of strength.

Unforgiven Kaze

05-24-2012

would be cool if garen was darius's brother :O

Aqualisk

05-24-2012

Maybe not directly related to Darius, but how come we didn't hear about some of the older Noxus champions in this power struggle? Sion? Urgot? You would think a giant lumbering necromantic engines of death would have a little more to say about the nation they died for.

Harrow

Writer

05-24-2012

Quote:
Zackmas09:
And does he wish to fight garen? Knowing his /joke and all. Seems like that would be a pretty even fight.

I don't think he has any personal beef with Garen - he thinks the man is a fool, following a meaningless code of "honor", but he doesn't have a burning hatred for him. I'm sure he would relish killing Garen in battle though, proving Noxian strength triumphs over the most iconic image of Demacian values.

Jokes typically stray a bit away from the character. Nautilus can't actually swim in the air, for instance.

Quote:
Maligan:
Is his underhwelming laughter emote in-game an indicator of his lack of bloodlust?

In other words, does he not run through enemy squadrons, massacring everyone and laughing maniacally before stopping to pose for the login screen? Because that's how I pictured him, yet in-game all he gets is... "Hah!"

He's not a crazed, bloodthirsty maniac, I'm afraid. He's more of a cold-blooded killer, moving through the battlefield with powerful, but precise, movements, striking with deadly force where it matters most. He takes pride in combat, but there's no primal bloodlust that he constantly needs to sate. Unpredictable sadists don't always make the best commanders.

Quote:
Zackmas09:
would be cool if garen was darius's brother :O

He's not. Sorry!

Marisa

05-24-2012

How long ago was the war between Demacia and Noxus? For that matter, how old is Darius? Which champions, whether for Demacia or Noxus, fought in this war?

What is Darius's last name?

Why weren't any interactions designed between Garen and Darius? It would be interesting to see the dynamic between a Garen, a loyal, willing servant, and Darius, an ambitious, potential tyrant.

Unforgiven Kaze

05-24-2012

When noxus invaded ionia was Darius involved? and if so maybe varus vs Darius?

Pieking 113

Recruiter

05-24-2012

When you said "Darius doesn't need any silly runes or magics to slay in battle" does that mean he does not respect most mages, including Swain.