The Non Ajustable Camera Angle - Removing Fast Terrain

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LadyAzalea

05-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riyadh View Post
Totally agree! Its the view that messes up everything. I'll be back in a week or so until they fix (hopefully they will) it. Or else I have no choice to limit my time playing.
They said its impractical to bring back already. It won't be back ever. :/

meatBoss

05-29-2012

Such a disappointing move by Riot. Fast Terrain allowed you to have the game rendered completely in isometric 2D, which gives every single point on the screen equivalent quality - in other words, everything is in focus. The environment and characters would always appear exactly the same size and proportion, no matter where your camera was fixated. This made it much easier and efficient to assess situations accurately.

It was also incredibly mindblowing to turn on Fast Terrain, set the resolution to 1024x768, cap the framerate at 25, and set all the graphics to low. It was like playing and watching a sprite-based version of LOL as if it had been made in the mid-90s. So much fun.

Fast Terrain will be missed.

SeanTheKiwi

05-30-2012

I didn't know it but my LoL was automatically set on Fast Terrain ever since I downloaded it because my laptop isn't considered powerful. While randomly going through video settings I turned it off, noticed the map was no longer in 2D and gained about 60% more viewable field. Which was great as I always complained about not being able to see much or not being able to zoom. However I still feel disoriented while playing, not used to the severe angle and often miss skill shots by miles. I always wondered why they were considered "skill shots" when I found them so easy to land, then I realised it's just hard without Fast Terrain lol. There's ups and downs to both camera settings, I know I'll get used to having fast terrain off and love having the extra view, but I also loved the birds I view, too bad we can't have a zoomed out birds eye view :P

Now, on to Riot..
I'm sorely disappointed that you seem headstrong in continuously shafting the minority with all your changes, from locked/unlocked cameras to fast terrain. We're talking about peoples enjoyment in playing, yet you've always shown that impressing someone comes first. Don't worry about how LoL looks artistically to people who don't play it, worry about how LoL FEELS to people that ARE playing. Regardless of how few are feeling this way. Sure you're going to make money regardless and can financially afford to give the finger to tens of thousands without much fret of lost dollars, but is that really worth it to you? Do you want to be one of those dictatorial companies that sets its opinions in stone and forces us to "get with it or get out"? Think about it for a moment, is that really worth it? I know you won't reply, but I know a lot of you Reds are reading this and every other complaint posted on this thread, and all I can ask is you just take them seriously and think about it. It's a checkbox, it doesn't affect you, it doesn't have to be the face of LoL artistry, it doesn't have to be on by default at all. It affects the gamer at home trying to enjoy themselves ONLY. You're not seeing it, potential future players aren't seeing it, and if you're that ashamed of it, put it under 4 graphical sub-options if you have to. People just want the choice. You could even keep it seperate from the game and allow people to edit it through .ini file. Do something, anything, Riot. Just don't discard the minority.

boourns

UI Designer

06-01-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

I've been heads down looking at the blurry text issue, but we are aware of people missing the fast terrain option. We are evaluating whether we can do something about this, so don't take hohum's word as final.

More technical explanation: fast terrain set the view type to orthographic which means there is no perspective to the view and everything looks kind of like flat sprites as other people have said. This was in an attempt to make geometry culling more efficient, although actually it didn't really produce much performance gain. There were some other optimization, but I believe this is what people are missing.

I am interested in understanding what it is about the view that makes it better for people who suffer from motion sickness or headaches. Can you describe what you're feeling between the two viewing angles? What about other games? Do you have the same problems with other RTS-style viewing angles (Diablo 3, Dawn of War 2, C&C, etc.), what about FPS's like Battlefield or Modern Warfare 3?

SkysMoon

06-01-2012

I find this interesting that people feel (if I'm following this) less motion sickness while using fast terrain. As a person with multiple concussions and epilepsy - I certainly find the exact opposite to be true. Fast terrain when I tried it made me very sick, near to the point of vomiting. I'd be curious to know why this is, and people who have problems prefer one over the other?

Space Wizzard

06-01-2012

would adjustable camera be op? DDDD:???

SeanTheKiwi

06-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
I've been heads down looking at the blurry text issue, but we are aware of people missing the fast terrain option. We are evaluating whether we can do something about this, so don't take hohum's word as final.

More technical explanation: fast terrain set the view type to orthographic which means there is no perspective to the view and everything looks kind of like flat sprites as other people have said. This was in an attempt to make geometry culling more efficient, although actually it didn't really produce much performance gain. There were some other optimization, but I believe this is what people are missing.

I am interested in understanding what it is about the view that makes it better for people who suffer from motion sickness or headaches. Can you describe what you're feeling between the two viewing angles? What about other games? Do you have the same problems with other RTS-style viewing angles (Diablo 3, Dawn of War 2, C&C, etc.), what about FPS's like Battlefield or Modern Warfare 3?
I don't experience the motion sickness as others do, but ever since I changed to playing without fast terrain on just before it was removed, I did feel quite disoriented and had to stop looking at the screen for a while. I think it is because the angle is quite steep, you're able to see alot of map without being that far zoomed out, FPS shooters are very different as that's a real world angle, eye level. Other overhead games aren't as steep and are sometimes purely birdseye view. I think the easiest way to describe it is, in LoL you're moving your mouse in Z space the further you move your mouse upwards, as opposed to X and Y space on an angle. Which leads to things like the foreground moving faster than the background. Incredibly disorienting when skill shotting or judging how far away an enemy is.

IS1dcd9a4f2ff9a3

06-02-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by boourns View Post
That's what it's called! Thank you, boourns!
I've noticed that there're a few games which, despite being really nice, somehow make me sick. Of top of my head, it happens with D3, Majesty 1-2, Aquaria, and to some extent with Dota2 and HoN (i've always thought it's because they are dark and with plenty of shaders).
Haven't ever experienced that with LoL though, neither with nor without fast terrain, so I think my post is not of much value, sorry.
But thanks once again!

Badmagic Voodoo

06-02-2012

Fast terrain made that game targeting system seem a lot more reliable. For example, playing from the bottom. If your champ is in the top lane and you drag the map down to see action below you, putting you in the very top of your screen, the targeting reticle around for any spell or skill shot becomes incredibly small and hard and difficult to judge or aim. Its almost makes me nauseous when trying to decipher the depth of field thats being created with the shrinking of the champs and terrain at a distance. I don't remember this with fast terrain at all, the 2D format created the target circle or skill shot reticle the same size no matter where your view centered on the map.

The graphics look great, but the way that my character and its surroundings shrink in size when I drag the map, just ruins it for me. I also, by far prefered the top down look with a much less aggressive angle of the camera. Im guessing the angle is whats creating the need for the depth point of view. It's playable but not at all what I remember.

To answer the question about this phenomenon in other games, I don't seem to have this problem in others. But in all fairness, its not recreated in any of the games you listed. The cameras locked in all those games, you cant drag it around as in lol. Guess I have never seen a stream with any high level players that play locked, its seems as if it would be a gimp not a bonus.

Is it really that hard to ad the option for people to have fast terrain? It was already there, why fix something not broken? I have no real solution for what to me, is fustrating.

Majorah

06-23-2012

I'm another that has been playing for years, own all the toons and 50+ skins and I will hate to walk away from this game due to the removal of Fast Terrain but I just can't handle the other view. Fast terrain made me such a better player and so much easier on the eyes. I hope you implement it back in, I'll wait a bit but if it dosen't come back into LoL then I don't really have an option to keep playing as I can't seem to. Hope Riot hears us.