We need a system to replace AFK teammates.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aesmis

05-23-2012

I know it's unrealistic to expect this sort of thing to happen overnight, but this issue is getting to the point of keyboard-slamming frustration. I'm sick, sick SICK of losing games because 2 people on my team AFK from the start and never come back. This is a team game. We can't play without our team.

So, here's what I'd love to see: An incentive-based replacement system that would allow teammates to be kicked from the game and replaced by another summoner.

The way it would work:

-A majority vote of at least 3 to kick someone (5 minute cooldown between kicks)
-The person you are kicking must have not moved for at least 3 minutes.
-Their replacement would be informed that they are entering a game in progress. If they accept, they would be assigned whatever champion the AFKer was using. They would (optimally), get to select their masteries and summoner spells, however, I am aware how difficult that could be.
-They would enter the game without items, but would have their team's average total gold amassed [including items bought] (averaged between all 4 remaining teammates)
-They would be the average level of their team (i.e. 8,6,5,5 would result in them being level 6)
-They would receive a small IP boost for joining an in-progress game (as an incentive to join such games).

Opinions?

Agent Of Doom

05-23-2012

what if the person is having net problems or their computer crashed at the start of the game? this would be marking them as leavers even if its not their own choice and while i agree it can be annoying you just have to get over it. stuff happens and you just have to move on

JimmyScene

05-23-2012

Even if it is true that the person is simply disconnected due to a internet disconnection, then it would still be reasonable to want to implement this, as it would help their team to continue playing.

Venova

05-23-2012

I second this, if a player has been afk or disconnected for more than 5 minutes, allow the team to majority vote to replace them; give the afk player a notification and sound telling them they must play or they may be subject to a kick; give them 30 seconds to resume playing to avoid the kick; if they don't come back then any player who has an option enabled when joining the matchmaking queue "Allow replacement queuing" can potentially be placed into that game; when they are put in, the kicked player is shown the disconnect/left game screen and have the option of spectating the remainder of the game (and of course can't chat etc). The new replacement player plays the kicked player's champion and everything that character had is kept the same as when they left; the kicked player recieves no IP for a win or loss, the replacement player recieves loss IP if they played less than 60% of the game's total time even if they win, if they are there longer they can get full IP credit for a win, that way you don't have people doing that to try to farm IP or something because you can get more by playing a full game and not leaving etc, but if you want a chance of trying out new champions for a single game at random, you could toggle the option to be placed in replacement slots.

Perhaps another (maybe better) way of doing this would be to have it so that you will only be matched for replacements of champions you own, so that you are likely to know how to play them and can be more helpful to the team that needed a replacement. So for example if a team has a teemo that is gone 10 minutes and you have teemo, they vote kick them and your setup to be in the replacement queue for any champions you own (perhaps you could select which ones you want to play replacement for), and so you get put in control of that teemo just as they were left off, and you can do your best to help turn the game around. The normal skill based matchmaking rules etc would still take effect so you don't get top tier players replacing low end quitters; maybe even give replacement players who do well for their team a small bonus IP for being charitable and helping their team if they win, just some tiny amount so it's not abused, maybe limit it to 3 games per day you can play a replacement or something; in the event the system cannot find a replacement player for the team wanting one, they can at least maybe deny the kicked person exp for a win or loss perhaps; but this could probably be abused too given how sometimes you get some immature people in lol, anyways just some thoughts about how this could be done - I think it's absolutely needed; there are far far too many disconnecters and quitters ruining games; while it's probably not often a problem in ranked games (i don't know i'm only level 20), it can really ruin people's chances for a close fun game in normal blind pick games

LolnItUp

05-25-2012

I just love it when a teammate NEVER ****ING JOINS and there isn't **** you can do about it

SeanTheKiwi

05-25-2012

I think that's an awesome idea, if it was possible. I think I heard HoN or Dota do something similar where they just share out the experience and gold of the person who left the game. (I don't play them so I wouldn't know for certain) but it's definitely a good idea. I can just see it being abused some how by people only joining games that are nearly over to get IP for joining a game already at the 25 minute mark. I'm not sure how it could be regulated and I personally wouldn't care about people abusing it for fast IP if it means I have a chance at getting a victory.

DdoongDdoongGoch

05-27-2012

This wont work. if you wanna know why, then i'll explain. i accidently deleted my whole explanation.

Goerts

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanTheKiwi View Post
I can just see it being abused some how by people only joining games that are nearly over to get IP for joining a game already at the 25 minute mark.
That would be the biggest problem i could see.

Maybe make it so that the players in game would have to click an accept box to let the player join?

That's my only idea, otherwise there's no doubt that people would abuse it.

Edit:Or make it so that the new player would have to be in the game for a certain length of time in order to get any reward for the game at all.

Venova

05-28-2012

Yes of course don't just give them full credit when they joined in the final 10 minutes, give them a rating based on their performance after they join (focusing on objective helpful play such as damage dealt to structures and assists, rather than kills), and if they did well and were helpful, regardless of win or loss they should get some bit of ip and exp for that, the percentage can increase with higher ratings and more time that they were there; and yes of course the playing team should have to confirm the new player joining, since they have to vote for a replacement anyways; perhaps also at the end of the game they could vote on the replacement's performance (though people may just downvote the replacement since the original player had left, perhaps discourage this by only allowing a positive responce or no responce at all)

On a related note, I think it would be nice if you could "thumbs up" players at the end of a game, much like the Like button on Youtube; this shouldn't affect anything at all of course but perhaps it would be a way to know that players are helpful and courteous. Perhaps on the character select screen put a little colored * next to their name indicating their like score (which would be calculated based on number of games played since the feature was added vs how many times they were liked within that pervious time; subsequent likes from multiple players in a team in a game would be weighted less so you can't get an unfair benefit; and also perhaps only allow people to like 2 people per game, so you can't just like the whole team because you win, and you can't just only like the 1 person who you laned with or something, and of course you can't like yourself) Sorry for so much offtopic but I think this could be used to help place replacement players perhaps, and also it would be a good counter to unfair rage reporting. If a player has a good track record and their team blames them because of their poor play, thats not fair; a Like system would be a good leg to stand on for those who are unfairly reported, which I do see happen sometimes. Sometimes people just have bad games, or are using a new character.

Anyways. replacement voting system and a like system, perhaps tied together in some way, I think would be hugely great additions to lol, and would greatly improve the play experience for many people.

Sweaty One

07-07-2012

This could significantly alter the game in terms of matchmaking itself and it isn't a bad idea but its complication is most likely too high and can't be added in the game in the coming months especially due to Riot's...'responsible' server handling and patching. It is good but the leaver system in it should be evoked and a penalty of a waiting time regarded instead.