Is it worth getting ArmPen runes anymore?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Etherimp

05-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglshGentleman View Post
My main concern is early trades. Without the flat AD, bully champions are going to have a huge advantage on you.
You are correct, sir.

I used to run Armor Pen.. now I run Flat AD. The difference is substantial. That level 1-4 harass hurts so much more.

Kysune

05-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prometheius View Post
It has not been good to get full AR Pen on the carry for a long time now, like 1.5 years.

Good early game means a better late-game scaling, with LW pretty much covering all your AR Pen needs. Ar Pen + AD combo runes gives the best early game while still giving a strong late-game transition.
So Prometheius brought up a good question. If you're building an item for Armor Pen and you're choosing between LW and BC (excluding Ghostblade) when is best to take one over the other? I know LW is cheaper but BC seems to give more dmg and higher ArPen after 3 hits while LW gives more ASpeed.

Etherimp

05-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kysune View Post
So Prometheius brought up a good question. If you're building an item for Armor Pen and you're choosing between LW and BC (excluding Ghostblade) when is best to take one over the other? I know LW is cheaper but BC seems to give more dmg and higher ArPen after 3 hits while LW gives more ASpeed.
LW gives ASpeed?

LW is better if your opponents have more than 100 or so armor.

Dane Belthound

05-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kysune View Post
Typically I say 100 armor or more go LW.

However, there are many other factors to think about.

1) The extra 1k gold means it will take a significant amount of time before you can get your BC. The extra damage from LW during that time could be game changing.

2) In order to get the full effect from BC you need to land 3 hits. It takes time to land those three hits, and often times in a team fight getting more than 3 hits with an AD carry can be tough because you have sat still so long that they will have begun to target you if they are smart.

However, that said...the effects from BC also benefit EVERYONE on your team because that armor reduction from BC works for all of your team mates when targeting that foe. LW's armor pen only works for you the individual. So there is that to consider as well. I you have several auto attackers on your team perhaps it will be worth your time.

In my experience however LW is my go to item because there is typically at least one person with more than 100 armor that needs to be taken down. Also, I use kog (super range), so when I get LW and their tank initiates I have plenty of time to take him down so that he either dies or doesn't last long.