Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Master Yi Build, and Infinity Edge

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Brother Of Dux

05-23-2012

Im having a very hard time fitting Infinity Edge on my Yi.
This is my current build (jungler)
Zerks greaves
Wriggles
Youmuu ghostblade
Warmogs
At Impaler
Last Whisper
or in very rare cases where they only have an off tank who builds hp, cleaver
Replace boots for Mercs

Replace Wriggles for BT
Replace Ghostblade for PD

Now IE gives incredible damage to Yi, but I just don't know where to fit it in.
Right now the best I can think of is switching out Cleaver for IE if enemy has low armour, or switch Atmogs for Mallet+IE. Any suggestions?

P.S whats a good late late game build for Yi? I run 2xPD 2xBT Warmogs+GA

Manbalex372

05-23-2012

For me, I like to buy Infinity Edge in for one of my second, third, or fourth items. I buy boots first, then i might start building for a big item, then finally I buy IE fairly early in the game. Try this strat. for one of your games and tell me what you think. (SUMMARY: buy IE as early as you can, usually after boots)

Manbalex372

05-23-2012

Ok, so I like to buy Infinity Edge as early in the game as I can. I like to buy boots first. Then maybe I might try to start a large build. After that I would get IE. If the other team is feeding me good enough, (or i am doing good) I will buy IE right after boots. I don't usually do this because it might be hard to buy, so i usually stick to a larger, cheaper build first.

Manbalex372

05-23-2012

Quote:
Manbalex372:
Ok, so I like to buy Infinity Edge as early in the game as I can. I like to buy boots first. Then maybe I might try to start a large build. After that I would get IE. If the other team is feeding me good enough, (or i am doing good) I will buy IE right after boots. I don't usually do this because it might be hard to buy, so i usually stick to a larger, cheaper build first.

Sorry, I have no idea why it posted twice. The first time, it told me the message was too short.

Warrrrax

05-23-2012

Does boots+3pots work for jungling Yi? Or do you do cloth+5?

Maybe instead of Wriggles, you could get a vamp scepter and then just sit on it for most of the game. That would give you sustain, and you'd rely on your quick-ramping autoattack and Alpha to burn through creeps more quickly.

Ghostblade does seem really good for Yi, so I can see where you'd have a hard time passing on that one. It works fantastic with Yi's tendency to burn his 2 other autoattacking boosters.

I dont think Impaler is all that great though. Even at 3k health, its giving 45 AD (1800g), plus the existing armor and crit. So you are getting about a 900g advantage from it. Thats not bad, but not amazing.
Maybe this would be a good time to work on the IE instead?

DarkenDragon

05-23-2012

dont think you'd need a wriggles with yi since you already have it built into alpha strike, and you attack hard and fast without it already killing minions quickly, just save yourself the money and buy wards and start your rest of your build early.

youmuu's ghost blade doesnt seem to be a good fit for yi, I mean I can understand the armor pen and crits and such, but your kit already comes with the movement and attack speed steroids in the form of your ultimate and it gets refreshed after a kill (which is the only time I would think you'd wanna use it, when you know you can secure the kill) plus like you said your gonna sell it later in the game, seems more like a waste of time building it and a total set back to your build.

I would never get warmogs on yi, just doesnt synergize well with his kit, instead mallet would do you better, little more ad, you get the health you need (not as much but you really dont need too much health just enough to survive an inital nuke) and also provides a slow that will help you stick to your enemies and give them less of a chance to run away for help.

atmog is where you might want to replace for infinity edge since the AD your getting from it is sub par and the armor can be gained else where. infinity edge will provide much more AD and crit, than this item.

also if you do plan on getting infinity edge, I suggest getting it sooner than later in the game, in the early game you'll farm much easier and gain the money faster than in the late game. and once you have infinty edge, you'll just be able to farm even faster due to quicker clear times of the jungle and ganking potential goes up. at this point your not too worried about survivability cuz no one has their full kit to be too much of a threat and not many people would have build health items yet thus making them quite squishy for you to kill.

as for last whisper, only get it if they are counter building you hard, otherwise skip it. dont forget its 40% armor pen and not armor reduction, thus its the last thing that gets applied, so whatever armor pen you have in your masteries and runes will reduce the effectiveness of this item. so if you had sunder, armor pen marks and quints and weapon expertise, your opponent must have at minimum 121 armor in order for last whisper to be effective against black cleaver, and even then thats not taking into account what your allies may have to further reduce the enemy's armor as well. and chances are if they have that much armor to make last whisper effective, they'll have a thornmail and that'll pretty much force you to invest into MR.

Warrrrax

05-23-2012

My thought on ghostblade is that Yi is already clicking 2 steroids when he engages for a short term boost. Therefore he won't "forget to use" the Ghostblade. In other words it is logical for him to group all 3 boosters into 1 'engage' mentality.

Ghostblade also has great stats for Yi, plus is extremely efficient. For 2700g it gives 3050g of stats, PLUS another 1700ish gold worth of temporary stats.

Yes he already has a MS/AS booster in his Ult, but why would you NOT want more? More MS = better chase AND getting in more autoattacks since you have to do a mini-catchup each time you want to autoattack.
Yi is all about autoattack and his steroids give him a big head start. Clearly boosting more AS with the clickey is very beneficial.

Since Ghostblade has armor penetration I would probably skip Last Whisper except as a very last item. You might even prefer the flat pen of Black Cleaver instead...or even get a brutalizer since they stack.

I can see an argument for either Warmog or Mallet. Warmog is certainly more efficient for the cost, but Mallet's snare is quite valuable.

DarkenDragon

05-23-2012

well attack speed has a cap, you dont want to hit that otherwise your gonna have wasted stats, and he already attacks fairly fast as is, no real need to increase it a little more. the movement speed also has a soft cap that chances are he'll hit the 80% reduction so the gain from it wont be very noticeable,

I find youmuu ghost blade is best used on champions who dont have these steroids built in. the other stats you gain are fairly minior and could be found in other items that would provide much more as well. just not worth the time in my eyes.

Duffman316

Recruiter

05-23-2012

believe it or not, infinity edge is not a core item on yi

it's nice but not essential

Warrrrax

05-23-2012

Quote:
DarkenDragon:
well attack speed has a cap, you dont want to hit that otherwise your gonna have wasted stats, and he already attacks fairly fast as is, no real need to increase it a little more. the movement speed also has a soft cap that chances are he'll hit the 80% reduction so the gain from it wont be very noticeable,

I find youmuu ghost blade is best used on champions who dont have these steroids built in. the other stats you gain are fairly minior and could be found in other items that would provide much more as well. just not worth the time in my eyes.

This makes no sense at all. AS cap is 2.5 which requires over 200% bonus AS even by a fast baseAS champ like Yi. You never even get close to that. 80% max from Ult at 16, plus 50% from the ghostblade. Thats 130%. Even if he got a Black Cleaver or a PD, you would still have room for growth, even with mastery/runes.

Since Autoattacks increase exponentially, you want as much AS/AD/crit as possible. You do want to balance your AD and AS, and not get tons of AS but no AD and vice versa. But Yi has 70 AD from Wuju, likely 20AD from Wriggles, probably some AD runes and masteries, and the ghostblade itself's AD.

Yi is one of the few melee autoattack champions, and these are what ghostblade are made for.