Champions to learn?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ASHORTHOE

05-22-2012

I've been playing on and off for the past 6 months or so, not really very serious but just casually when I have time. I like the game, but I feel weird since I only know a couple champions (Kassadin and Tryndamere). It seems like everyone has a variety of champions they pick from depending on the situation. So what do most people do? Learn every main role (AD carry, AP carry, tank, support, and jungler), or something like that? Because it seems like I would need to learn more than a couple in case I get countered. On the other hand, learning 20 champions seems really tough keeping track of runes and builds and such. So any tips on what variety of champs I should learn?

AlethiaArete

05-22-2012

I think the goal is to learn between 10-15: 2 or 3 for each job. Most of the time I think you can generalize runes and masteries for several different champs though, to help keep track of them.

Also I think people say they understand more jobs and champs then they really do. Sometimes you just have to fill a spot even if you don't understand it much.

Kaoelith

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-23-2012

If you become good at 3 roles you can cover the other 2 fairly easily(except jungle that can be hard if you aren't used to it) since 3 of them are the same, just different champ types

good champs to learn are ones that can do multiple roles such as jarvan and ali they can both jungle and jarvan does top solo ali support

the main thing to learn is how champs use their skills to be effective
ex.all ads play the same basically aside from skills and ez/corki build, they have almost no cc, focus on last hits and trading pokes whole lane phase
supports focus on cc or heals for the ad
jungles are ganks if available
ect

If you can play like 3-4 champs in each role you can be effective with most other champs if you know their skill set and tricks if they are there(such as ali w-q combo, or auto attack between riven's q for her passive)

Crazy Crann

05-23-2012

By virtue of the way the system works, and especially with the next patch (that will remove F2P champions from the ranked draft), I imagine you're going to get saddled with a champion you're not perfect with at least 20 per cent of the time.

In those cases, the best you can hope for is to just not die, pick up some early assists, and then snowball from there.

Remember, the most important part of playing any role is to not die. Unless you're the tank. In that case, you'll probably die a few times -- or many, many times if your team doesn't understand the idea of a team fight.

Etherimp

05-23-2012

I used to be pigeon holed into playing Mordekaiser (one of the easier champions, mind you), because that's all I played and that's all I felt like I was good with. Eventually, I learned different champs and learned how to jungle. I already had knowledge of mid and solotop, and I was normally really bad with AD champs, but for some reason Caitlyn "clicked" for me, and since then I have become quite decent with Cait, Sivir, and Vayne.

Now, I own over 40 champs and can play over half of them pretty effectively in a variety of roles. Granted, I'm not a "master" at (m)any champs, but I don't think that's really necessary. You get better or worse with a champion depending upon how much you play with it.. I'll go a week where I only play 1-3 different champions, then I'll move on to something else. For a while there I only played Rammus and Sivir.. Then I played Cho and Garen.. etc.

I think if you want to learn more champions your best bet would be to invest some IP in a few CHEAP champions, like in the 450 and 1350 range, and go into Intermediate bot games with them and get used to their abilities. Once you do that, try them out in a few normal games by yourself. When you can win your lane consistently (don't worry about winning the game... just your lane), then move on to another champion and do the same thing.

A lot of this game is general character knowledge, and mechanics knowledge. Once you understand the fundamentals, it's not difficult. Another major factor is understanding who counters who and why. Don't be discouraged if you go Solo-top as Mordekaiser and get dominated by a Garen.. Or go mid as Morgana and get dominated by a Talon. These kinds of matchups are NOT in your favor. And on the other side of the coin, if you're that Garen and you're beating a Mordekaiser, realize that you SHOULD beat him.. If you're losing to him, you should probably adjust something about your play style, runes, masteries, or build.

Anyway.. That's my 2c.

Snaketeeth01

05-23-2012

I suggest learning as many champ's as possible TBH.
Every new free week I expose myself to at least 1 champion I have never played before, just to familiarize myself with them.

When I started out playing, obviously I wasn't very good. I was trying to learn my own champ, and took no time to learn anybody else. So in my head I was alway's tossing around the idea "God I must be terrible, this guy just had his way with me and I have no idea why!". After I started reading about other champion's, watching how they build, understanding how they worked, a whole new world opened up for me! Countering.
So now when I play a ranged carry I don't think "alright, I'm caitlyn, I need to buy PD BT IE ZERKS, because I'm caitlyn." Now I can look at my opponents and see that they are CC and AP heavy, so I will build a wit's end to boost my sustain as well as DPS. I'm gonna grab either mercs to counter cc and give MR, or i'll get chalice for MR and to maintain my mana so I can spam Q to poke them from afar to stay safe and alive. If they are a team of fatties, I know I need to "rush" a bloodrazor so i can melt their dmg. But in doing so I know I'm going to be made of glass, so in my early game I'll be grabbing a phage so I have the sustain, a slow, and AD which all affect my champion.

When You get into a game you should have at least a few champions that you excel at so you know how YOU play them, and how you can tweak your build to adjust to what the team need's. But you cannot do this if you look at the enemy team and you know absolutely nothing about three of their champion's.
If you've never seen annie or ryze before, and you say "aww.. look at the little squishy bug, it's so cute.." Then as you approach you find yourself burnt to a crisp by fire or lightning. Big mistake.

I also suggest learning a few of each role, find what work's best for you.
If you only want to solotop or mid, that's fine. Just do it really well.
As a jungler, I appreciate the guy that autolocks a solotop and stay's there all game.
If he's doing his job really well, I don't HAVE to worry about his lane, and that free's alot of my focus to harrass the mid and bot lane's. And after I ignore top lane for 10 minute's and then show up for a gank, the enemy is all "oh yeh, there's a jungler". And the turret fall's.

iDpark

05-23-2012

If you don't play much pick a champ that can fill a varety of roles.
Nunu. Nidalee, Teemo, Sivir are all good picks.
Nunu can support, jungle, mid.
Nid can top, mid and support
Teemo can top mid or bot.
Sivir can top or mid or bot, spell shield becoming useful if you're mid.

Not saying these champs excel at all of their possible roles, just saying that they are viable with them.
Most champs can go multiple lanes.

It's more important to play your champ really well than to be "able" to play a variety of champions.
Never play a champ you dont know how to play uness you're in a bot game, or want to piss your team off.

TehJackAttack

05-23-2012

Learn Kennen. Learn Soraka(with wards support). Learn Annie. Learn Yorick. Learn Graves.

All of these champs are strong picks, are viable in ranked play, rarely banned, and tricky to counter.