having trouble closing out kills as malzahar

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

MiaoLong

05-21-2012

This. The only CC I have is the ult, and with the other 3 spells, it's just too **** hard to catch up with enemies. Especially since malzy is snail slow.

Amoc

05-22-2012

Focus on out cs'ing your opponent. There are very few champions that can outfarm Malz. If he can keep track of enemy jungler and ward he can push almost anyone (there are a few exceptions) to their tower and zone them out.

Anyone that knows Malz is probably not going to let themselves get ult'd on Void Zone with MV and Ignite on them. Malz (for me at least) gets his kills from ganking when his lane is pushed, baiting the enemy jungle into his tower, or in teamfights later on where he's pretty useful.

Crazy Crann

05-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoc View Post
Focus on out cs'ing your opponent. There are very few champions that can outfarm Malz. If he can keep track of enemy jungler and ward he can push almost anyone (there are a few exceptions) to their tower and zone them out.

Anyone that knows Malz is probably not going to let themselves get ult'd on Void Zone with MV and Ignite on them. Malz (for me at least) gets his kills from ganking when his lane is pushed, baiting the enemy jungle into his tower, or in teamfights later on where he's pretty useful.
Amoc has it right here. At least in the early game before you build up your AP, focus on running up your CS, as that is where most of your gold is going to come from. In general the only time you should play for a kill is when the enemy expects you not to -- i.e., when you're running back from them, drop your silence and then the rest of your combo when they chase, and they'll walk right into it.

Also, don't forget that Malefic Visions, along with doing strong DoT, will also make your voidling(s) target its victim. If you're trying to close out a kill and you have any voidlingss up, definitely through it on your target so that they know to prioritize him. Lings can do a lot of damage, especially when they hit their third stage (frenzied), and when added to the damage of Malefic Visions and (if you ran it as a summoner's) Ignite, they can quickly kill off an opponent.

MiaoLong

05-22-2012

Focusing on CS usually gets me a few early deaths though... MV at the early stages is too weak to pass on from minion to minion without some supplement. If my voiding isn't up, I usually have to supplement with my auto-attacks.

Case in point-- to supplement I have to move up, which makes me vulernable to ganks, and I would die nearly every gank. Even ganks where I was within tower range, if someone like Nautilus snares, knocks me up, and then slows me, what the hell can I do? Just die quicker so I can get back in lane.

Doomster

05-23-2012

I play malz a lot. For some reason he just clicks with my play style. Wards are one of the most important items to buy on him because you are prone to ganks when you outpush your lane opponent. Again focus on early cs and try and catch your opponent with your silence when he last hits while you MV on the minion wave. With a little practice you can usually hit both not only harassing, but keeping MV jumping and restoring your mana. The most important thing to realize is that Malz is going to struggle in 1v1 fights until 6. Also I notice a lot of players leveling silence second. This is a no-no in most cases. If you are able to push to gank top or bot and have an advantage in either pushing or farm always level void zone second after MV. This is all I can think of for right now. If you have any more questions message me (in-game is doomster01). Take it easy

inuiyasha

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-23-2012

There are many ways to play with Malz, and i tend to put malefic vision on a minion when those stand in a line and then put silence, this gets all the minions and helps improving CS. Mana regen items are also required to sustain in the lane.Malz is one of the best champs for mid where u can get enough CS and use Ulti carefully to get a kill at level 6. Putting malefic vision on champ and opening void under it is best way to assure a kill. Also combo of flash/ ignite can help to secure kill if enemy tries to escape with little heath after malz ulti.

Crazy Crann

05-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaoLong View Post
Focusing on CS usually gets me a few early deaths though... MV at the early stages is too weak to pass on from minion to minion without some supplement. If my voiding isn't up, I usually have to supplement with my auto-attacks.

Case in point-- to supplement I have to move up, which makes me vulernable to ganks, and I would die nearly every gank. Even ganks where I was within tower range, if someone like Nautilus snares, knocks me up, and then slows me, what the hell can I do? Just die quicker so I can get back in lane.
In general, your best bet is to only move in for the last hit on the minions. This is especially true in early levels when you're very squishy and have no real defense mechanisms.

What items do you start with? Your starter items can also make a big difference in your survivability. I generally start boots-3, because I'm generally going Mid, which means I'm generally needing to avoid a lot of skillshots. The 3 pots help with my sustain, as well.

What summoners do you run? I generally run flash-ignite. Flash is vital for avoiding ganks, and ignite makes for a nasty combo with MV on a low health opponent.

Do you ward your bushes? As was mentioned by an earlier post, warding is VITAL for Malz. Usually I try to pick up two green wards on my first recall, or a pink ward if there's a stealth jungler in play for the enemy team.

Where you use that pink ward depends on what team you're playing. If you're purple team, it's generally best to throw it on the side where blue has bush cover basically leading right into your lane (your right side.) The same is true for blue team.

Also, be sure not to float too closely to the bushes. Nautilus can't anchor you if he's not in range -- keep yourself at a safe distance. If he starts rushing you, wait until he gets in range (he will probably use the skill as soon as he is) to flash. The same goes for almost any skill of that sort.

With escaping, also keep in mind that many opponents are familiar with your escape routes. So mix it up a little. See a Warwick coming out on your left? Run right, and flash over the wall of the river to the safety of your jungle. See a stealthed Twitch coming up your river? Flash back to your tower, and then double around while he sits in the brush and make him eat a face full of damage.

The most important thing for earning kills on Malzahar is patience. Especially in the early game, it's best to wait for the opponent to be down to at most 75 per cent health. At this range you can generally (realistically) hope to kill him. In the late game, and if you've built him right, Malzahar can be a nightmare -- even for tanks. But in the early game his damage output isn't huge because, honestly, most of it comes from his AP (the ratios are bloody amazing.)

The second most important thing for earning kills on Malzahar is remembering that you should generally open with your silence. My nuke order tends to be Silence-% health DoT-Ult-Malefic Visions/Ignite on his way out (if the fourth part is even necessary.)

Amoc

05-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiaoLong View Post
MV is only weak for 1-2 levels, and then along with your voidling it works great. Malz, IMO, isn't really a last-hit champion like a lot of others. He's a hardcore pusher. Last hit when things aren't safe, sure, but when you know where the enemy jungler is, push that wave right to the enemy's tower and rape the enemy minion waves.

If you know where to play your MV's and manage your voidlings, he's one of the easiest champs in the game to farm with. There are very few champs out there that can shut Malz's farm down at mid.

BelgradePhantom

Recruiter

05-23-2012

You most play lot of games to be a good with Malzahar
you most focus they ad carry with your combo
E,W,ignite and ulty and your enemie most be in your W when you use your ulty
THAT ITS ALL
if you want something just say

MiaoLong

05-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amoc View Post
MV is only weak for 1-2 levels, and then along with your voidling it works great. Malz, IMO, isn't really a last-hit champion like a lot of others. He's a hardcore pusher. Last hit when things aren't safe, sure, but when you know where the enemy jungler is, push that wave right to the enemy's tower and rape the enemy minion waves.

If you know where to play your MV's and manage your voidlings, he's one of the easiest champs in the game to farm with. There are very few champs out there that can shut Malz's farm down at mid.
In my experience, it's been fairly easy for enemies to shut my farming down. All they had to do was kill me.

CC + gank = dead Malzahar. Almost no question. Malzy has like, negative defense against ganks. Even Ahri has that charm to toss out. The best you can do is hope the enemy doesn't kill you (doubtful) so you can suppress him under the tower you're hopefully under.

I found the game to get easier when Nautilus couldn't kill me in one ability combo.