How to build cho

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FaerellG

05-22-2012

You get Rylai's purely because of the Slow. You don't get it because you want HP for survivability. You don't get it because you want AP.

as for ROA...you want to spend over 3k gold on ROA as a Laning item?
By the time you have 3k gold to spend, laning is usually long overwith. (count that as 4k if you want Tier 2 boots).

I would rather rush Rabadon's or Frozen Heart...or get some combination of the two like Glacial Shroud, Merc Treads and a Needlessly Large Rod.

That would probably give you more damage potential and survivability than an early RoA.
It not only gives you the 80 AP right off the bat (without having to wait 10 minutes for it to stack up), the Armor and MR are more likely to keep you alive than an extra 500 HP or so (depending on how long RoA has been stacking)
45 armor.
Also the 15% CDR will increase your damage output even further by allowing you to cast more frequently.
If you feel that you want to go more of the DPS route, then switch the merc-treads for Ionians (which are cheaper) and now you have 30% cdr for even more spell ability.

The additional benefit of Armor and MR over HP is that your passive Healing counts for more because your resistances count towards every point of HP you have or gain. While Raw HP just increases how much you have total. Armor and MR are multipliers to your effective HP. Multiplying is better than adding.

Also, if you're having sustain problems with Cho, then you're probably not last hitting properly and likely wasting spells. Cho has one of the best sustains in the game.

iDpark

05-22-2012

Holy bejessus. I can farm 100 around the 15 min mark. I can always get this whether I'm feeding 0/5 or dominating 4/0. Sustain is Cho strength, I like to enhance this and even after ganks I'll stay in lane unless I'm below 200 hp. I even take teleport.

I can get glacial shroud/ROA/boots and i start dorans by the 20-22 min mark.
OP.
Then I usually get a abysmal + finish frozen
then usually GA, but whatever, really.

Cho is a great farmer, take advantage of this and farm. And people are going to try and get you to stop farming, called harass. Sustain > Harass.

considering how 13 minions = 1 kill, I"m always winning top.
Cho has been one of my best tops lately in ranked.

Etherimp

05-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerellG View Post
ROA isn't necessary on Cho. RoA provides 3 key things:
1. AP
2. HP
3. Sustain (mana)

If you want AP, there are far better items like Zhonya's, Rabbadon's, and Void Staff.
Cho has no need for more HP, building Armor/MR is going to increase his survivability much more. Building more HP without MR just encourages Madred's Bloodrazor.
Cho has no need for sustain, he has plenty from his passive.

While RoA is a great item for any other squishy AP, it's pretty pointless on Cho. Far better options.

Jungle Cho'gath should be giving blue to his AP carry, which means he has no mana-regen. I would rather go ROA for extra damage than Banshees Viel for the MR and Shield....but that's me.

Strikerfox

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-23-2012

Quote:
ROA isn't necessary on Cho. RoA provides 3 key things:
1. AP
2. HP
3. Sustain (mana)

If you want AP, there are far better items like Zhonya's, Rabbadon's, and Void Staff.
Cho has no need for more HP, building Armor/MR is going to increase his survivability much more. Building more HP without MR just encourages Madred's Bloodrazor.
Cho has no need for sustain, he has plenty from his passive.

While RoA is a great item for any other squishy AP, it's pretty pointless on Cho. Far better options.
I agree, I'd rather spend that money on other things. Other than boots, my first purchase is usually a chain vest and cloak for early defense that can be built into later items. I like an early glacial shroud to be built into a frozen heart later. I've been using a Phil stone for small Regen and the extra gold but the lucky pick looks tempting. It might be controversial but I max my e first. Scream costs too much mana and I would rather save it for the silence rather than as my main source of damage. Oh, the stone becomes reverie for the active and the cdr. I like wits end but I don't love it, looking for a similar superior item. Same with rylai. I take a rab cap over a scepter because late game, you're a cc machine with a nasty ult that doesn't require mp. So, final build looks something like this, boots, frozen heart, reverie, wits end, rab cap, and situational item (fon, sunfire, or angel usually).

FaerellG

05-23-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etherimp View Post
Jungle Cho'gath should be giving blue to his AP carry, which means he has no mana-regen. I would rather go ROA for extra damage than Banshees Viel for the MR and Shield....but that's me.
His passive gives mana back.
And you can fill your rune/masteries with plenty of mana regen.

If you're running out of mana as Cho, you're doing it wrong.

iDpark

05-23-2012

Quote:

Uh. I'd rather take defensive runes + masteries, than take runes and masties more often seen on AP squishies.

I love free harass. I can spam so much I force anyone without a decent sustain out of lane. EZ FARM.

The other person better be a good farmer under tower or have nice sustain.
I like having so much mana I win lane... with a early cata.

Besides, more hp = more effective armor/mr, ap is never wasted, and the mana = more harass.

I love it.

Etherimp

05-24-2012

Quote:

If you're farming all game as Jungle Cho, you're doing it wrong.. And farming is the only time Cho's passive helps him maintain his mana-pool. As soon as you go to gank you'll run out of mana after using a few abilities.

Also, if you fill your mastery pages with mana-regen on Jungle Cho, you're doing it wrong.

DCMagic

05-24-2012

Lately after getting more used to cho i start the ionic spark get the glaier shroud go to shoes finish ionic spark get a frozen heart go for warmogs and i dont die after that usually then i go rod of ages or force of nature and work with wards or other situation specific stuff. Maybe build a trinity force in one slot sometime. Whats the advantage and disadvantages of this?

ChaseOfSpades

05-24-2012

AP Cho'Gath bugs me. He starts with 0 AP and it doesn't increase with level so you are basically playing catchup with your AD the whole game. Not to mention the fact that maintaining your burst dps requires you to hit with your Q, which can be challenging when facing an attentive opponent. Better to utilize AD than AP IMHO.

rekkless

05-24-2012

pubstomp cho with tri force/frozen heart/fon core items is hilarious