How to build cho

12
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DCMagic

Member

05-21-2012

Recently, i been playing as cho. Ive been going with trinity force, adding a life steal item to boost his passive life steal and adding to his attack speed then buying cheap boats to add to movement. Whats the best way to build him?


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HMS BUTTPEE

Senior Member

05-21-2012

Quote:
trinity force, adding a life steal item to boost his passive life steal and adding to his attack speed then buying cheap boats to add to movement. Whats the best way to build him?
This is about as wrong as you can be without running the standard AD carry build. For Cho, you want to focus on resists and CDR, my standard Cho build is:

1.Cloth x5
2.Level 1 boots
3.Rush Glacial Shroud
4.Level 2 boots
5.Frozen Heart
6.Double Negatron Cloak
7.Aby Scepter
8.FoN
9. Situational

(The build of course, is subject to change, and you may want to swap out the double negatron for more armor. Or even a null-magic mantle so you can get Wit's End. FH is always useful, since the armor is ALWAYS good for tanking towers, and you always want mana and CDR.)


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

VoidBro

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

05-21-2012

You should build Wit's End or Ionic Spark and just get all tank items after that


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Amatzikahni

Senior Member

05-21-2012

FH, Wit's, RCS, Abyssal, Randuin's/Thornmail/other armor item, choice boots.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FaerellG

Senior Member

05-21-2012

Don't build Wit's End on Cho. You're not an auto attack champion, you're a tanky mage with tons of CC.
There are far better ways to increase your damage output and defense than Wit's End.

Frozen Heart and BV or FoN are good starters for your defensive choices.
FH will give you that CDR that you want so badly.

Also, don't buy Thornmail just because. Only buy it if you're getting focued by auto attackers. Thornmail is always a situational buy.

As a Tanky Mage, you want to be flexible in your builds, trading between AP items and Defense items as needed.

AP items:
Rabadon's
Rylai's (because having everything of yours slow in addition to other effects is just boss)
Abyssal
Ionian boots (for the CDR)

Defensive Items:
Frozen Heart (lots of armor, awesome passive, and awesome CDR)
Force of Nature (naturally high HP means naturally high regen)
Abyssal is also a MR item
Ninja Tabi or Merc Treads. Merc most of the time..you're big, you'll get hit with a lot of skill shot CCs and get caught in almost all AoE CCs. You need to be available asap to counter initiate with Q and W.
Ninja Tabi only if they have no CC.

But yeah, focus on CDR, AP, and Defense. You always want to max out your CDR on Cho, he's just a meatshield without his spells.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kirielis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

05-21-2012

I prefer Abyssal to Wits, as they perform roughly the same function but abyssal helps team more. What do you mean Cho isn't an auto attack champion? You should be auto attacking all the time you aren't dropping Q or W or R. Remember, auto attacks deal AoE magic damage!


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Carry Us Ziggs

Member

05-21-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerellG View Post
Don't build Wit's End on Cho. You're not an auto attack champion, you're a tanky mage with tons of CC.
There are far better ways to increase your damage output and defense than Wit's End.
So the fact that Cho has the highest base attack damage at level 18 (tied with Skarner) and the fact that one of his abilities turns his auto attack into AOE that deals magic damage means we should ignore his auto-attack. Especially since Cho has ridiculously long cooldowns on his other 3 abilities.

Fact is, Cho needs autoattacks to sustain his damage output and do his job as a tank. Wit's End makes sense. Nashor's Tooth does as well, but I almost never buy it.

I build Cho like this:
Boots + Health Pots x3
Catalyst into Rod of Ages
Mercury's Treads/Ninja Tabi as needed.
Glacial Shroud into Frozen Heart.

Every item after these is situational. I usually get a Wit's End, unless I need tank items, in which case I'll get Abyssal Scepter. Last items are usually Force of Nature and Guardian Angel.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Etherimp

Senior Member

05-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virixiss View Post
So the fact that Cho has the highest base attack damage at level 18 (tied with Skarner) and the fact that one of his abilities turns his auto attack into AOE that deals magic damage means we should ignore his auto-attack. Especially since Cho has ridiculously long cooldowns on his other 3 abilities.

Fact is, Cho needs autoattacks to sustain his damage output and do his job as a tank. Wit's End makes sense. Nashor's Tooth does as well, but I almost never buy it.

I build Cho like this:
Boots + Health Pots x3
Catalyst into Rod of Ages
Mercury's Treads/Ninja Tabi as needed.
Glacial Shroud into Frozen Heart

Every item after these is situational. I usually get a Wit's End, unless I need tank items, in which case I'll get Abyssal Scepter. Last items are usually Force of Nature and Guardian Angel.

I do a similar build.

Boots + 3 pots OR Cloth Armor + 5 pots for longer in the jungle/ganking.
Catalyst into Rod
Merc Treads almost always
Abyssal Scepter
Frozen Heart
Wits End
Guardian Angel

I switch around Abyssal and Frozen Heart depending on whether I need the CDR/Armor or MR/AP more, and I switch Wits End/Guardian Angel around depending on whether I need more defense or offense.

Wits End is not a BAD item on Cho, just other items take priority.. especially considering I do not max E until last. Besides that, Cho doesn't need auto-attack damage early/mid game, he needs it more late to keep his damage on par. Mid-game he has no problem blowing people up with Q W R combo.

I am surprised at the amount of people who don't buy Rod of Ages, on Cho.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FaerellG

Senior Member

05-22-2012

ROA isn't necessary on Cho. RoA provides 3 key things:
1. AP
2. HP
3. Sustain (mana)

If you want AP, there are far better items like Zhonya's, Rabbadon's, and Void Staff.
Cho has no need for more HP, building Armor/MR is going to increase his survivability much more. Building more HP without MR just encourages Madred's Bloodrazor.
Cho has no need for sustain, he has plenty from his passive.

While RoA is a great item for any other squishy AP, it's pretty pointless on Cho. Far better options.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kirielis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

05-22-2012

Like Rylai's. Don't give me that look, it adds a slow to W and E (Q already has one), and if you're opening with R because you have 6 stacks already, it adds slow to R as well.

And I'd still take RoA on top lane cho because I want to be totally immovable until it comes time to go roaming and shred the opposition. Besides, given the usual builds (easily reaching 200 armour and MR), there's space enough for a HP item.


12