Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

If I'm NOOB.....

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gurei Fullbuster

05-21-2012

Quote:
BE4ST:
I get what you are saying, but I disagree...

Noob is merely an evolution of the word newbie. Noob has basically evolved into an insult, hence why most youngsters these days don't know the original meaning. They fling it around like someone might say 'idiot'.

I know, I have been playing games for 30 years.

You can disagree all you want, but you're wrong if you do. English is not a normal language (i.e. English is the hardest to learn common language [I use common because there are some very obscure and rarely used languages that are almost impossible to learn]). If a word is used to mean something it didn't used to for long enough, it gains the new meaning. (for example--as previously stated, the word gay didn't used to have anything at all to do with your sexual preference until it was [incorrectly] used to mean that for long enough that the meaning stuck)
Fact: Noob = bad player.
Fact: Newb = new player.

P.S. Does this mean these 2 terms will always mean these 2 different things forever? Not necessarily.

BE4ST

05-21-2012

Quote:
Makoraias:
I always thought the word "noob" was actually a cleaver acronym for "not out of bread".

Huh.

LOL

Yes people often tell me i am 'not out of bread' when I am playing games....

How do they know? Can they see my kitchen? Do they know my baker?

Kitty Girl Sej

05-21-2012

Quote:
AJL:
All your logic sounds pretty good except Noob = Newb.
Noob = bad player
Newb= new player

You can be a noob by being a newb but don't have to be a newb to be a noob if you get what I am saying.

See this is why the term "scrub" came into existence.

Noob = bad new player
Scrub = bad old player

Lukitan

05-21-2012

Then what does nub mean?

BE4ST

05-21-2012

Quote:
Gurei Fullbuster:
You can disagree all you want, but you're wrong if you do.
Fact: Noob = bad player.
Fact: Newb = new player.

P.S. Does this mean these 2 terms will always mean these 2 different things forever? Not necessarily. Did they always mean these things? I don't think so..

YOU can disagree all you want but YOU ARE WRONG!

I have been playing games a looooong time, and I supsect longer than you.

I have SEEN the word change, I KNOW where the words came from.

Look it up online if you don't believe me, then get back to me and apologise.

I'm not saying things haven't changed, they HAVE, but originally noob=newb=newbie, I bet you werent even born when the word 'newbie' started to be used.

Get your FACTS right!

Gurei Fullbuster

05-21-2012

Quote:
BE4ST:
YOU can disagree all you want but YOU ARE WRONG!

I have been playing games a looooong time, and I supsect longer than you.

I have SEEN the word change, I KNOW where the words came from.

Look it up online if you don't believe me, then get back to me and apologise.

I'm not saying things haven't changed, they HAVE, but originally noob=newb=newbie, I bet you werent even born when the word 'newbie' started to be used.

Get your FACTS right!

Then why is everyone else in this thread saying your wrong? You've been caught saying something wrong and can't admit it because of how foolish you'd look, so instead you attempt to declare the truth is a lie. I can sympathize with your unwillingness to admit a mistake--everyone goes through that every now and then, but trying to pass off false information as fact is just pathetic. I'd love to stay around and laugh at your further attempts to continue this farce, but at the same time I don't much enjoy talking to a brick wall. Hopefully you'll see the light soon though, but I'm not holding my breath...

Darbal

05-21-2012

Quote:
BE4ST:
Disrespectful ?

Actually you are repeating what I just said....

I KNOW what noob means, did you read my post properly ?

I'm agreeing with your point and posting my opinion so people reads it lol.

BCartfall

05-21-2012

Quote:
BE4ST:
I get what you are saying, but I disagree...

Noob is merely an evolution of the word newbie. Noob has basically evolved into an insult, hence why most youngsters these days don't know the original meaning. They fling it around like someone might say 'idiot'.

I know, I have been playing games for 30 years.

And I've been gaming for 19 years. I can tell you that newb has always had a much different meaning than noob. Players would admit to being a newb; it has always been an insult to call someone a noob.

BCartfall

05-21-2012

Quote:
Gurei Fullbuster:
Then why is everyone else in this thread saying your wrong? You've been caught saying something wrong and can't admit it because of how foolish you'd look, so instead you attempt to declare the truth is a lie. I can sympathize with your unwillingness to admit a mistake--everyone goes through that every now and then, but trying to pass off false information as fact is just pathetic. I'd love to stay around and laugh at your further attempts to continue this farce, but at the same time I don't much enjoy talking to a brick wall. Hopefully you'll see the light soon though, but I'm not holding my breath...

Ignore him, it's just some sophomoric rant.

solandras

05-21-2012

I totally agree, they are the same thing. I always laugh a little when people say I'm a noob even though I started play straight out of beta, it's been a while, definately not new to the game anymore.