New to ranked games.... Advice?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AlphaWolvesGamer

02-04-2013

(If you're going to type TL : DR, please skip the first 2 paragraphs and read the questions only.)

Currently, I have been interested in joining the ranked games of the League sot hat I could get a badge for my profile like some of my friends have. Currently, most of them have all silver ranked or higher and I would honestly be happy just for a Bronzed ranked before having youtube videos. I haven't so much been having a difficult time playing the games, just so much that I've been having trouble getting into a game because I keep kicking myself with 'what should I do if something happens?' or 'what if I'm not going to do good this game and let down my team'? In my recent games, I have has two wins and a loss. My first game was a win that I played Alistar and fed my Carry well and winning in team fights tanks to the Carry and Mid-lane with 0-4-14 and my carry had 14-0-9. (Top lane was retarded and so was jungle sadly...). My second game, I played Thresh but somewhat failed to feed my carry (Kog'Maw) and ended up getting 3-7-12 and he got 15-8-3... (We didn't start dying after jungle Jax and TF mid and Nunu top got mega fed Q~Q). Last game was a decent game, ended up losing the lane with Alistar and Twisted vs Tristana and Taric but finished the game 0-6-17(I think?).

So, I was curious what would you guys suggest for ranked games? I currently am decent with 3 positions; Support, Jungle, and Solo Top but I can decently play a single ADC if needed... Mains include Alistar(S), Amumu(S/J/T), Nunu (S/J/T), Thresh (S/T), Shen (T), Malphite (S/T), Singed (T), and Twitch(ADC). Mainly, I was going to ask tips and tricks of what I should do mainly to allow my team to succeed in the ranked games. I know the basics of Kiting, Zoning, Harassing and stuff like that, but I wanted to know if there were anything that I should know about before continuing for my 10 ranked games for an ELO.

* Support: Should I buy Sightstone or Philosophers Stone first? I buy wards, and commonly spend about 300-700 gold on wards depending on how early I can buy Sightstone... and curious which to buy first, More gold or More gold efficiency?

* Support: Would it be better to get good with champions that main with Heals, like Taric or such? Or do you think the supports I have are decent enough if I keep wards up and decent harass on the enemies?

* Support: Why do people hate/diss on this one the most it feels like? I mean, I do decently as a support with keeping my carry alive with Heals/Shields and saving them when I need to, but I'm looking on the forums and everyone keeps yelling, "DON'T BE THE SUPPORT BECAUSE SUPPORT IS A ****ING TERRIBLE POSITION!!!" I want to know why people say that? (That being my best position because of CC and Heals I support AoE for my team?).

* Solo Top: What would I do against a Duo lane other then kick back and wait for jungle? I don't want to be zoned out, but at the same time I don't want to be picked out because I was to insistent on taking EXP?

* AD Carry: Q~Q yeah... don't even bother with this, I just put that there in the extremely slim chance that people auto-lock or call without changing their minds about it... And he is the only ADC I'm any good at...

Thank you for reading, and I look forward to your replies.

* Current Win/Loss: 2 Wins and 1 Loss.

PoisonedPeace

02-04-2013

Philosphers stone first.
Supports with heals can be good. You should have a good poke supp, a good healer, and a good burst (leona, or taric, since you adc will do the actual damage)

I enjoy support a lot, however, you will always be blamed for how terrible the adc is. Everybody will blame you if they get ganked in the jungler for not warding. Its usually not your fault. You just have to keep level-headed.

Solo top is solo top. They won't duo lane you in ranked. If by some magical event it does happen, just make sure you can farm at tower and get ganks. If they duo lane you, as long as you dont give them kills, they will be useless in teamfights.

Just get good at cs. Even if you don't touch your opponent, you need to get a lot of the cs. The more cs you get the more you will beat @ss. Unless you are support obviously.

Some good supports include:
Taric(good with anyone)
Leona(good with bursty adc)
Lux(good with poke i.e Caitlyn)
Janna(good with poke adc)
Nunu(pretty much only works well with vayne, caitlyn, and maybe draven...atk speed champs)
Soraka(works effectively with anyone, less effective against mf)
Sona(good poke along with a 'meh' heal)
Alistar(decent i suppose with most)
Blitz(good with bursty adc, and everyone else lol)
Zyra(decent with burst and poke) most effective in team fights

OriginalJack

02-04-2013

I've often heard bot lane described as paper rock scissors. You've got sustain, poke, burst.

Sustain beats poke - You just heal back all thier poke.
Poke beats burst - They can never engage all in on you and win because their health is lower than yours because of all the poking
Burst beats sustain - Instead of trying to chip them down a little at a time you are trying to 100->0 them so they don't have time to heal.

Let's say they have a high burst combo like graves/leona. To combat this you should take a high poke combo like cait/janna. If they have high poke like with cait/janna grab soraka and go sustain. Also you should avoid bot lane combos that don't have good synergy. For example Ashe has low burst so avoid pairing her with somebody like leona. Ez doesn't need attack speed so Nunu isn't a good match for him.

Basically you want to own enough support champs so that you will have the right champ for the right situation based on either who your adc is or what the enemy has chosen. Some support champs you really should own are:

Taric - does a little bit of everything, his only downside is that sometimes you need somebody more specialized.

Soraka - she's not flashy but she is the queen of sustain

Sona - Does a bit of everything plus has an OP ult. She's really squishy though.

Nunu - Doesn't work well with everybody but certain champs really benefit from the extra attack and move speed like cait, kog or mf, he's dirt cheap IP wise too

AlphaWolvesGamer

02-04-2013

I have bought Taric, Soraka, Nunu, Sona, Lux, Alistar, Blitz, and Amumu, so I think I have it set on what I need and when I need lol. I've never really liked Taric myself, but I'll try other Supports to see how they work. Thanks for the help guys.

Capt Carmine

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2013

Solo Top: know the importance of objectives, if your wrecking your opponent and mid and bottom are losing go down, and give a 4 man gank bot, or help secure dragon.

Solo Top: people say pushing the lane is bad, thats not true if you have wards pushing the lane and making your opponent miss cs can be really helpful, as well as take jungle pressure off mid and bot since you are pushing so hard. make sure to also push to turret when your opponent has gone back if he loses cs experience it helps since in top lane, level advantages mean alot, since most tops scale with base stats more than items.

If your in a Duo your goal is 2 have cs between or higher than either of the other 2 as well as not dying/ practice last hitting under turret, with ad runes 2 turret hits then an auto attack kills a melee minion.

auto attack turret hit, auto attack kills a caster minion

Capt Carmine

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

02-04-2013

AD Carry: Twitch is a very strong carry his ultimate really is game changing, but always prioritize minions over kills, you want to have the highest cs in game because all ad carry damage is so reliant on items, and always keep your BT stacked if you have one.

ALL lanes: a really important point people dont think about is minions, up until around lvl 9 minion damage really tips the advantage in all skirmishes. try to fight when you have alot of allied minions and be careful of starting fights when the enemy side has alot of minions,
Advanced : if you have a big wave at their turret, minions can do as much damage as turrets so allow yourself to get hit so the minions target the enemy champ, Minions can make you win trades without hitting the enemy champ once.

SoMuchSwag

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolvesGamer View Post

* Support: Should I buy Sightstone or Philosophers Stone first? I buy wards, and commonly spend about 300-700 gold on wards depending on how early I can buy Sightstone... and curious which to buy first, More gold or More gold efficiency?

My recommendation is to decide how the lane is going first, and take into account your support. If your sona, and they are a burst lane, it is probably a good idea to go tanky and get sightstone. If they are not bursting you, philo stone is the better option as long as you are able to lane effectively (without feeding)

Quote:
* Support: Would it be better to get good with champions that main with Heals, like Taric or such? Or do you think the supports I have are decent enough if I keep wards up and decent harass on the enemies?
Currently the general consensus is taric is OP atm. I would definitely pick him up and learn his burst etc. This game is all about knowledge, matchups are important, that is why most *bot* laners (pro supports or adc's) play both roles. they understand both the support and adc so they know what they are capabable of. I would highly suggest getting the common ADC's and getting familiar with them (Graves,Ezreal,Cait) Knowledge is power in LOL

Quote:
* Support: Why do people hate/diss on this one the most it feels like? I mean, I do decently as a support with keeping my carry alive with Heals/Shields and saving them when I need to, but I'm looking on the forums and everyone keeps yelling, "DON'T BE THE SUPPORT BECAUSE SUPPORT IS A ****ING TERRIBLE POSITION!!!" I want to know why people say that? (That being my best position because of CC and Heals I support AoE for my team?).
Generally you have the least impact on the game at lower elo as the support. If your ADC is not able to last hit, without being harassed. It generally does not matter how good your supporting is, if no1 on your team is strong enough to kill the other team. Thats why people pick lanes they can have an impact on (shut down mid, roam and make ur bot lane stronger) WTFPWN top? invade their jungle, crush their carries. Jungle? camp the lane with your 1 good teammate and make him godmode.

Quote:
* Solo Top: What would I do against a Duo lane other then kick back and wait for jungle? I don't want to be zoned out, but at the same time I don't want to be picked out because I was to insistent on taking EXP?
this is like what? when you gain elo out of this, you wont see this ****. but if you are 2v1 become proficent at champions with innate sustain (Olaf, Cho..) but generally you have the right idea, sit at your tower because eventaully the wave will push in your favor, then just freeze there. and hope your jungler wants to win and ganks for you.

Quote:
* AD Carry: Q~Q yeah... don't even bother with this, I just put that there in the extremely slim chance that people auto-lock or call without changing their minds about it... And he is the only ADC I'm any good at...
I dont understand this part. Twitch is really strong at the moment, so he is definietly good to learn. But like i said before, all the pro support/adc play both of those roles, and know every champion because that is the best way to outplay their lane counterpart. If you want to move up tiers, I would say play adc over support, because in the event your adc sux, it will be hard to win, but if your support sux, you can still carry.

Hope this made sense / helps.

NoobSity

02-04-2013

Don't play ranked.

Capt Carmine

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobSity View Post
Don't play ranked.
This man knows where its at

AlphaWolvesGamer

02-04-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobSity View Post
Don't play ranked.
Just because you're not good at it doesn't mean I shouldn't try =P