Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Top Lane Amumu?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aesaura

Recruiter

05-19-2012

Is he viable? if he is, what items should I get and what skills should I get first?

Thundercleese

05-20-2012

Well... What's viable in low level games might not be in higher level games. I remember when my friend and I were learning to play, we'd run Morgana and Amumu bot and would get a auto double kill the moment we turned 6. Good times... Wouldnt work anymore for a variety of reasons though.

What level are you playing at? If you're still below 30, have fun and do whatever. Just build a philo stone and go from there.

Kirielis

05-20-2012

Itemise as normal. I don't imagine skilling would be much different - you want a point in Q to help in ganks, a point in W, and then max E first for reduced damage. You're going to take a lot of abuse in lane.

Jixson

Recruiter

05-20-2012

Viable? Yes. Optimal? No.

Mummy works in lane, just he has a hard time keeping up in minion kills when not in the jungle. You can't spam tears in lane(or jungle anymore to be honest) as you most likely will not have blue, and your bandage toss and damage mitigation spells cost a lot of mana early.

itemize as normal though. Philo stone, heart of gold, aegis, maybe rod of ages or at least a catalyst early. It all depends on who you are facing too. You are going to have a rough time against someone like Riven, Vlad and such, but should do alright against a nasus as he just wants to far anyway.

If you are going to lane, I personally would rather have him as a support. Especially after 6 and with a jungle or ad carry with at least a slow you will get at least 1 kill each gank.

TehomCD

05-20-2012

From a strategy standpoint, normally you want anyone who's in a solo lane to scale from items so that they become an increasingly greater threat when not shut down, or be someone who turns an early-game lane into a stalemate while your other lanes grow relatively stronger. Tanks like Amumu usually have the same threat value with more items unless you build some AP on him, so I'd prefer seeing him in one of the lower gold-revenue positions like the 'support' spot bottom lane or in jungle building gold over time items, and Amumu's inability to sustain or trade damage wouldn't give him much ability to either survive early-game champs or shut down very strong ones. A very frustrating thing for playing top lane Amumu might be not feeding, but feeling utterly helpless as you watch a very high threat champion like Tryndamere, Nasus, or Poppy basically free farm and ignore you, then completely demolish your team later in the game.

JxC

05-20-2012

uh what. problem with amumu in lane is
1. lack of sustain. what are you gonna build on him to sustain him? spellvamp? all his spells are aoe which makes spellvamp kind of silly. he is also extremely mana hungry. In the jungle you at least have an early blue buff to sustain mana, some creep regen and you won't have to deal with enemy harass
2. he pushes his lane too hard. almost all his skills are aoe, pushing the lane can be a good thing or bad thing depending on opponent. if they decide to freeze the lane near their tower, you're going to get zoned or ganked by jungler
overall toplane mummy is viable but definitely not the best choice. as for build, i would go with early game double gp5s and might even consider building a chalice especially with athene's coming out. it would be an awesome early game item for amumu. other items i'd consider include frozenheart, abyssal scepter and maybe even rylais.