Top Riven Matchups

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Billy Kringle

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-18-2012

Hey all, just bought Riven and looking to learn her recently. I'm looking for some tips on good matchup info for her. Here's a couple of the things i've experienced playing as her/against her top lane but let me know what you guys think and if you disagree or have other feedback.

Garen - This seems like an even matchup that can go either way, I mean they're both top lane bullies. Riven is an ad caster so Garen can silence her, stop her abilities and generally win in trades that way, but then again she's a mobile champ who can stun him if he comes close. I feel whoever gets the early edge here will win.

Kennen - Can/has to be beat early, but he's a mobile ranged champ and can easily stun her if she comes close. I feel she beats him out early in trades good, but if he's doing well passively, it's real hard to beat him later. I feel Kennen has slight edge in this matchup.

Swain - I know not a very common top laner but he was one of the first I played against. I feel like Riven dunks him early, I mean with flat ad runes one full q combo does like 3/4ths his hp. He doesn't have any sustain til level 6 in which you can shut him down til then. She's mobile enough to dodge his snare, so I feel this matchup is really in Riven's favor.

Yorick - I think Yorick wrecks Riven as much as he wrecks most top laners. I mean, he can just sustain so much and do it pretty safely. I haven't played against Yorick as Riven but whenever i have to lane against Riven, I usually pick yorick and have a pretty easy time against them.

Jax - I feel Riven has an edge in this matchup, Jax is pretty weak until he gets his ult procs, and Riven isn't really an autoattack champ so his dodge isn't as effective. If he leaps towards you, free stun (even though he'll probably stun you too) but afterwards you can generally trade in your favor.

Teemo - Just seems hard to kill him. Blind, no great gap closer, and can passively farm well. I have never played this matchup but I've heard it's in Teemo's favor.

Renekton - He seems like a beastly early game top-laner who can win trades vs Riven early, and has better sustain. I feel this matchup is in Reneton's favor, but I haven't played it.

A lot of characters that I'd like to get filled in on: Udyr, Lee, Vlad, Rumble, GP, Shen, Olaf, Irelia, Trynd.

Obviously there are a lot more characters but those are some of the more common tops imo. If you guys have any tips on playing against any of these characters, or playing as them against Riven, I'd appreciate it.

WuzzyFuzzy

05-18-2012

... lol Malphite nowhere on your list and he's easily her biggest counter.

Vader Dark

05-18-2012

Most of what you said is true and i'm an avid top laner so i feel i know these match ups fairly well and can elaborate on some of what you said and some easy ways to stop your counters. With hard cc and high damage output, Riven is a killer top and if built properly there are very few people who can beat her

Malphite- what can i say, he's a counter to ad in general, only harass if you know you'll win the exchange, if he becomes a problem then build Last Whisper

Teemo- not much to say, you outburst him early but his blind makes your harassment worthless, wait till late game and wreck that fool

Kennen- he does have a slight edge mostly due to his sped, a good way to stop this is either to rush phage or hexdrinker, both can be turned into really good items later on. Phage slows him down enough to at least keep up until you can close the gap, while hex drinker makes his damage negligible.

Udyr- for the love of god, be aggressive!!!!!!!! I hate facing Riven as Udyr because if she is even semi-compitent at harassing, you will lose the lane. Don't push too hard or tower dive and you'll be fine.

Olaf/Irealia- i choose to group these two because the way you fight them is similar, just hit and run. It's harder with irelia because of the gap closer but you can easily win this lane.

Vlad- buy a hex drinker, laugh in his face, out damage and harass him all the livelong day

Rumble- this guy is annoying with any top, his damage is more sustained so hexdrinker will still be helpful but not as much so. He pushes well so the lane should be pretty even, but keep your dash off cd when you don't have a ward, jungle+the cc on his ult is deadly

Maokai- i feel the need to add him in because i main mao and mao vs. riven is usually a very interesting lane. Don't even bother building hexdrinker, his damage past early game is laughable but his cc and tankyness are annoying for riven. What makes the lane hard for you is that he can harass/farm from a distance where your dash can only close about half the distance. Harass when you can, farm passively, don't underestimate the saplings and for the love of god, DON'T TOWERDIVE! between his W, ult and passive, you'd be giving him a free kill

Hope this helped

Śpparition

05-19-2012

Olaf destroys riven top

kayle destroys people top

but yea your list is pretty accurate

( Kayle's a little over powered for a top anyway )

CynicalGiant

05-19-2012

Malphite destroys you.
Renekton is a hard fight.
Garen can silence you to death.

Every one else not including unorthodox tops is crushed by you.

Kagami

05-19-2012

Nidalee - Greatly depends on who can get an early edge to start snow-balling I've seen and had it go both ways before, since nidalee can time her w to jump out of broken wings limiting rivens CC a good bit, and will ranged poke back when she knows your wings are on CD, and she also has a execute move, so low hp is dangerous.

Irelia - Don't let her farm and don't push her to her tower, other than that it's covered pretty well.

Billy Kringle

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-19-2012

Why does everyone say Olaf destroys Riven? I've seen people say that a couple times and they still lost (as olaf to riven.) I mean, sure he has true damage but Riven does have a shield, he is a character who gets deadlier the less health he has but Riven has an executioner ult that does more damage the less health they have.. on paper it doesn't sound like Olaf GHETTO STOMPS HER FOR FREE.

I also didn't put malphite as I don't see him top very often. I get why he would win though, although I don't think he shuts her down as well as he does others since she doesn't rely on autoattacks.

EffectFX

05-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Kringle View Post
Why does everyone say Olaf destroys Riven? I've seen people say that a couple times and they still lost (as olaf to riven.) I mean, sure he has true damage but Riven does have a shield, he is a character who gets deadlier the less health he has but Riven has an executioner ult that does more damage the less health they have.. on paper it doesn't sound like Olaf GHETTO STOMPS HER FOR FREE.

I also didn't put malphite as I don't see him top very often. I get why he would win though, although I don't think he shuts her down as well as he does others since she doesn't rely on autoattacks.

Because riven's shield barely stops any of olaf's true damage. Riven's a hit and run champion, dashing into deal damage and run away before receiving any. Simply having smart cast on as olaf means you can instantly trade back that damage on riven and then get all of that HP back with your built in sustain. Nevermind that in draft, it's very easy for olaf just to get straight armor runes all around and cloth5 in the beginning vastly hurting riven's overall damage output while barely hurting his own since he's using true damage to win trades. Riven's strength also comes from her mini CC in her Q and W. Olaf's ult stops that from happening so he will easily come out on top of riven.

I've lost to a Riven 1 time in lane as olaf, and that's because the other teams jungle camped my lane after the 10 minute mark. Ultimately I still count that as a win, because the other lanes all one because of zero jungler presence.

Śpparition

05-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effectxx View Post
Because riven's shield barely stops any of olaf's true damage. Riven's a hit and run champion, dashing into deal damage and run away before receiving any. Simply having smart cast on as olaf means you can instantly trade back that damage on riven and then get all of that HP back with your built in sustain. Nevermind that in draft, it's very easy for olaf just to get straight armor runes all around and cloth5 in the beginning vastly hurting riven's overall damage output while barely hurting his own since he's using true damage to win trades. Riven's strength also comes from her mini CC in her Q and W. Olaf's ult stops that from happening so he will easily come out on top of riven.

I've lost to a Riven 1 time in lane as olaf, and that's because the other teams jungle camped my lane after the 10 minute mark. Ultimately I still count that as a win, because the other lanes all one because of zero jungler presence.
also olaf is allowed to play more aggresively then riven pushing her out and keeping her out, olafs true damage helps alot and is just overall more damage then riven can putout and shutting her down early game means olaf can steamroll top and not have to worry about riven at all

Gahlo

05-19-2012

http://www.solomid.net/guides.php?g=16914

There's a whole section with a lot of insight to her matchups, this guide helped me carry +200 elo with Riven alone.