Good starting champion?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

QuartzDragonFire

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-18-2012

Garen was my first champ, seemed without mana as a resource its easier to focus on using your skills at the right time to most effect.

retched

05-18-2012

Owakamaru posted some good stuff,

Amumu for jungle is one you want to consider since he's still good as you get better.

Other easy to learn champs:
Garen
Nunu
Dr. Mundo

Vladimir - but he's a 6300 champion, so it's up to you if you want to invest more IP

Also, are you playing solo or with friends? If solo, I think its better play support champs later after you get a couple more games under your belt and just focus on playing the game instead of tactics. Basically, get a feel for champions and feel for the game over tactics and strategy.

Catches Axes

05-18-2012

Ashe would be my top choice. She's straightforward to play in a fight (hit Q, shoot things, maybe shoot arrow) and her kit lends itself well to developing map awareness skills.

R00ler

05-18-2012

Ashe is a hard champ to play well and is totally dependent on being itemized, I would not recommend her to start. I would recommend you look at the melee champions that are free this week and give them a try - melee champions tend to be more forgiving in that they have higher armor / health and typically have a gap closing ability that can also be used as an escape. You won't get the highs like being able to two shot the other team's squishy, but you won't have the lows of being totally useless all game either.

PlasmaTheMighty

05-20-2012

Here you go.
You'll be pro in no time if you watch this vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hPU9Ru1ftw
Why the downthumb, its true.

Shivago

09-10-2013

i don't see the "recommended" champs tab. where is it where i can see which champs are recommended?

Thatsmybigmac

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-10-2013

I would say the best options are:

Graves
Karthus
Sivir
Twisted Fate
Nunu
Xin Zhao

I say that because their skills are pretty straight forward, don't really require a high skill play to wombo combo with, and are great for just learning mechanical play!

And maybe if you want to start getting the hang of skill shots, I would recommend Nidalee!

I think the first two champions I learned were Ashe and Cho'Gath

ChibuChan

Recruiter

09-12-2013

Well I see that you like to play the AD Carry roles a lot and that's how I was too. I can highly recommend Garen even though he is a melee tanky bruiser but he's only restricted to cooldown time and is very very strong. As for the AD Carries I wouldn't suggest Trist for a beginner because she has a long cooldown and she is tricky to play, especially her ult and rocket jump.

Honestly if you're new I wouldn't be focusing on helping the team all too much because when you're new focus on learning the game. Even if you learn to be the best team player, if your team let's you down and you will probably be one person to carry the team...I'd say learn the game then work on teamwork.

For AD ranged champions, I would recommend:

Caitlyn
Miss Fortune
Varus
Ashe (do not turn on her Q unless you need a slow shot!!)
Sivir

These are some easier AD ranged champions to play.
Remember focus on learning the game
a very very basic build that will work pretty good on AD Ranged champions are:
Zerker boots
Infinity Edge
Phantom Dancer
Blade of the Ruined King
Randuin's Omen or Frozen Heart
Spirit Visage/ Guardian Angel/ or more damage if you want.

If you want to try out a Tanky AD Bruiser then I would highly recommend Renekton, Riven, and Garen. They're all very strong, tanky, and have very high capabilities to deal tons of damage

Add me ingame if you want I can try and support

Stillhart

09-12-2013

Garen is absurdly easy to play and actually really a good asset for the team. I think he's easily the best choice for ease:usefulness ratio. He's only 450IP now too, which is basically free.

The cool thing about having a champ like Garen that's so easy to play, is that it lets you focus more on learning the non-champ aspects of the game: positioning, last hitting, map awareness, etc. Those skills are handy no matter who you play so learning them early will be a huge asset.

3ender5

11-25-2013

how do you guys feel about Brand for a beginner? I played Dota2 for awhile and was pretty good with Lich. I did some research and what I found is that Brand is most similar to Lich for LoL and I wanted a fairly smooth transition, any advice?