Good starting champion?

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ibWitness

05-18-2012

Hello everyone, I am pretty new to the game, played probably about 25 matches total and I am yet to find a champion that I am very comfortable with. I seem to do ok with the ranged champs ( Caitlyn, MF) but I feel that I am not helping the team all that much.

What champion would you guys suggest to use as a beginner and that may help me get a better understanding of the game?

Trolosaurus

05-18-2012

Ashe, Graves, or Tristana would definitely fit your bill. Especially Tristana.
Good luck.

I Cookeh I

05-18-2012

Ashe and trist would probably be the easiest

foxface

05-18-2012

Quote:
I seem to do ok with the ranged champs ( Caitlyn, MF) but I feel that I am not helping the team all that much.
Stand behind your team and apply tons of damage to the closest target, you should be fine if you've farmed up.

-Some champions I found easiest to pick up-
AD Ranged: Ashe, Graves
AP Ranged: Morganna, Annie
Support: Soraka, Taric
Tanky DPS/ initiator: Warwick, Shen
If it's one champion that can fill a lot of roles, it's Gangplank.

This is just in my opinion, however. Also, remember to always try the free week champions, you might find one you really like.

CertainlyT

Champion Designer

05-18-2012
1 of 1 Riot Posts

I definitely second the Warwick suggestion. He is a fun champ who is easy to play but hard to master. He also is one of a handful of champions who can viable jungle at early summoner levels.

CommanderSpace

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-18-2012

D@ CertainlyT's picture

ICanBeDeadly

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-18-2012

Yi.

YoshioPeePee

05-18-2012

renekton is who i started with but he's a bit expensive

if you liked the ranged champs ashe cait and mf are all good choices for new players

if you want to try and get early kills for your team tristana awards aggressive play (and enemy's mistakes) very well

the thing with ranged characters is to try and last hit as many of the minions as possible, if you can get an infinity edge + phantom dancer early you will deal alot of damage and be very dangerous

ShadeeFan

05-18-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibWitness View Post
Hello everyone, I am pretty new to the game, played probably about 25 matches total and I am yet to find a champion that I am very comfortable with. I seem to do ok with the ranged champs ( Caitlyn, MF) but I feel that I am not helping the team all that much.

What champion would you guys suggest to use as a beginner and that may help me get a better understanding of the game?
Ranged champions are what contribute most to the team. You need to build attack speed, crit, AD, and lifesteal (through items like berserker greaves, Bloodthirster, Phantom Dancer, Infinity edge, etc.)

RanceStoddard

05-18-2012

On the champions page, there are a number of "recommended" champions. These champions are:

Annie
Ashe
Garen
Katarina
Master Yi
Nasus
Nunu
Rammus
Ryze
Sivir
Sona
Soraka
Taric
Tristana
Warwick

Start with these. They are all pretty easy to learn, and most of them are a pretty cheap IP buy. If you were to play ten to fifteen games with each of those champions, then you would have a good handle on all of the basic skills in the game.

EDIT: I'm not saying play all of them before playing any others, but maybe pick a few from this list. Say, one ranged carry (e.g. Ashe), one melee carry (e.g. Master Yi), one mage (e.g. Ryze), one support (e.g. Taric), and one fighter/bruiser (e.g. Warwick), and stick with those few for awhile.