How to beat Riven as Jax?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HonorableGeneral

05-15-2012

Pretty much the title. I get floored by Rivens, but I can pretty much hold my own against most tops (with the exception of Kennen and Vlad, who are AP and I have trouble sustaining against).

I find that with Riven it's impossible to be aggressive - issue being that Jax is designed around being aggressive. Playing a passive Jax lane pretty much gives her free farm until I get enough to buy some armor so I can last hit under tower without worrying about harass. I swear she just stuns, hits me a few times, and then jumps away before I can pop my own stun off.

So besides passive lane (which pretty much means I have to give up outer top turret so I can freeze lane deep inside my jungler's gank zone, which discourages her from harassing me while I farm) is there any way to really beat Riven as Jax?

Insípid

05-15-2012

U have to harass as early as possible when her stun is on a long cd. You start it up then leap to her and walk away. Wen u see her get close back up a bit until ur stun is off cd. If your mid isnt blue reliant ask ur jungle for it. And btw jax is a hard counter to riven due to ur hybrid dmg. She. And once u pop ur ult fighting u is impossible

HonorableGeneral

05-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AspiredKill View Post
U have to harass as early as possible when her stun is on a long cd. You start it up then leap to her and walk away. Wen u see her get close back up a bit until ur stun is off cd. If your mid isnt blue reliant ask ur jungle for it. And btw jax is a hard counter to riven due to ur hybrid dmg. She. And once u pop ur ult fighting u is impossible
Generally I have issues early-game versus Riven. Late game I melt her as I do any other AD champ, but early-game I have serious trade issues and this generally leads to me giving up a tower so I can farm and get beefed up for late game.

etharian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-15-2012

Im by no means pro. so just my thoughts on the matter. but if u dent already id start with cloth and 5 and build into ninja tabi. maybe even a wriggles or something else that'll add early armor. if nothing else stacking pots and getting alot of jungle ganks could help turn the lane around for u

HonorableGeneral

05-15-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by etharian View Post
Im by no means pro. so just my thoughts on the matter. but if u dent already id start with cloth and 5 and build into ninja tabi. maybe even a wriggles or something else that'll add early armor. if nothing else stacking pots and getting alot of jungle ganks could help turn the lane around for u
I try not to rely too much on ganks due to the fact that teams can vary (I get teams who are super-communicative and gank whenever needed, and I get teams who never talk and never gank my lane) and as for the cloth armor I'll try that. I usually start Doran's Shield or boots and pots for either HP/sustain (shield) or movement speed to avoid skills (boots). Cloth armor outside the jungle is a new one so I think I'll try that one out.

Insípid

05-15-2012

Cloth armor is always good against an AD top. I dnt think wriggles is good. Id start with a sheen. Annd to win trades just wait for ur stun. Use stun, then empower ur leap strike and wen u hit 6a and still trade. Hit a creep twice. Then stun up, leap, empower ur ult hit with sheen. . U end up having to a huge burst even though its still early game. If u build tabi, tabi+ult, possibly exhaust on riven, u take like no dmg.

ikillutwice

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-21-2012

for boots get tabi perhaps?

Boomstick II

05-22-2012

Start with cloth 5.
Depending on the team, tabi may be your best choice. If you need help early on, just go for tabi anyway so you don't lose lane. If you're winning, I'd still invest in some armor early (wriggles maybe).
Mostly try to keep up in farm, don't worry too much about trying to kill her on your own (if jungler ganks, you should help of course)
When trading, try to wait for her to use skills on the minions ( a lot of them do eventually, they get bored lol)
As soon as she uses stun/shield (I wouldn't initiate a trade if she just uses Q, unless she used up all 3) then you can jump on her.
- If she used her stun already, then prepare your stun early and stun her when you jump.
- If she used her shield already, then save your stun until after hers because she'll stun when you jump to her then probably try to fight back. Then you can activate yours and dodge her hits, stun her, and so on.
I would not fight her until level 6. I don't play Jax much, but I find my damage lacking until I hit 6.
- If possible, try to bait her ult by starting a fight, then simply jumping away. Afterwards, while it's on CD, try to beat her out of lane.

Those are my tips, I don't play Jax a lot but I used to play Riven a lot.

Kanajos

05-22-2012

You need to win in farm. If you are losing in farm you have no chance in winning. Once you can get ahead of the riven in farm use that money lead to your advantage. If you can rush boots 2 and then pick up a couple dorans you should be ok till the 15 minute mark.

If you are not winning in cs and the riven is beginning to zone you, get some sustain with a banshees, and gunblade/wriggles (however your building him).

If you still can't beat a riven it is probably to late to win the lane, but you could try a banshees and frozen heart to try to slow the riven's killing potential down.

If the riven kills you at any point and you can not get your footing back in the lane get your jungler to preassure the riven.

EbenzerMcAwesome

05-23-2012

When I play Riven, I can generally get my CD's to about 5 seconds a piece, so waiting for her ki burst/valor to be on CD is a stupid idea. don't try to counter Riven with Jax?