Free-to-Play Rotation in Ranked Solo/Duo

First Riot Post
1234511 ... 28
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Yegg

Game Designer

Follow Yegg on Twitter

05-15-2012
1 of 8 Riot Posts

Summoners!

Ranked Games are about trying hard and competing to the best of your ability. Meanwhile, Free-to-Play champions let you try out a new champion and see if you like it. These are really conflicting goals, so we wanted to investigate disabling the Free-to-Play rotation for Ranked Solo/Duo Queue.

We found some interesting statistics:

• If a player on your team is fielding a champion he doesnít own, youíre 8% more likely to lose the game.
  • A teammate fielding a champion he doesnít own is 62% more likely to leave the game.
  • If a player in your game is fielding a champion he doesnít own, the game is 34% more likely to result in a player being reported.

Thatís a big deal in such a competitive environment, so weíre making a change to keep the Ranked Solo/Duo Queue as competitive as possible. Weíre removing the option to select champions you havenít unlocked in the Ranked Solo/Duo Queue as of May 22nd. If you have a champion unlocked and itís on the Free-to-Play rotation, you can still play that champion.

Weíre leaving the Free-to-Play rotation intact for Normal Games because they fit with the spirit of Free-to-Play champions. In Ranked Teams, your teammates should already be aware of your intentions to play a champion you donít own, so we want to leave you that option.

Tram

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-15-2012

You can't believe how long I have waited for this, Riot.

Thank you, thank you so much ;~;

Yfrappefort

05-15-2012

I think this is a nice change. Lyte and the others will see how it works out .

Zerglinator

05-15-2012

Yeaaaah statistics!

FreeK

05-15-2012

Awesome. Now bads cant use that excuse

Randomhero86

05-15-2012

I love it!

Deathremar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-15-2012

god thank you, now playing ranked is more viable, i repeat, thank you so much!!!

Baron Vicious

05-15-2012

Wicked!

Set Tesh

05-15-2012

THANK GOD!

*dances the dance of joy*

Osvaldo

05-15-2012

I don't play ranked but this is a great change in my opinion.

1234511 ... 28