Is Gangplank a viable champ for ranked solo queue?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

fakeFetus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-19-2010

alls i know is my buddies younger brother loves the gangplank, and we slap him irl when he tries to play him with us. Alternatively i have yet to see a gang plank and been anything less than correct when i assumed by K/D ratio was about to take a turn for the positive.

zgibs

08-19-2010

I played a match with a gangplank who with pre-build and the right items was crit-ing 100% He was unstoppable.

Drake Tseng

08-19-2010

Last Whisper is actually a pretty core late game item. Don't knock it until you've done the math (or read a thread where someone else did it)

Zargonzo

08-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake Tseng View Post
Last Whisper is actually a pretty core late game item. Don't knock it until you've done the math (or read a thread where someone else did it)
If you itemize GP the right way, 40% more ArP is completely ******ed. You should have red runes with ArP, 2 items with ArP, ArP mastery, if you went that way and possibly Quints if you didn't take Flat Health.

the 40% is added after all of that, and on any carries, will amount to about 14 ArP, completely unnecessary unless you are soloing a tank, which isn't smart in the first place.

NEVER get LW on GP. EVER.

Dizzeh

08-19-2010

walls of text incoming

I've been experimenting with the hybrid tankplank in normal games and a few times in ranked solo and I think I finally found a build that can contribute the most to a team. The biggest flaw I've found is that early game is very very weak (though gangplank is notoriously bad early game) from the lack of mana regen when trying to deny on top of last hit with parley, though it picks up by level 5 or so. Right now I use:

Runes:
ArP reds
HP/lvl yellow
Mana regen/lvl and HP/lvl blues (still not sure on this one, I've found that 3 mana/lvl are suffecient by mid game though, maybe CDR/lvl or flat CDR would be better or even something like MR/lvl)
Flat HP quints

Mastery:
21/0/9 seems to work the best for me, though 9/21/0 worked sort of as well

Spells:
Flash/Ignite/Ghost/Teleport have all been useful

Items:
First items I have found work:
Dorans ring + HP pot (this is my standard pick up)
Meki + 2 HP pot (if I plan to build a chalice for the MR, the regen is unessesary mid/late game)
Boots + ward + HP pot (ghost to golem and ward for a good chance at first blood, I sometimes do this, but it really cripples early game if you fail the gank and have no mana regen)

2nd item:
Boots (usually Merc threads, sometimes tabi, rarely swiftness, even rarer zerkers)

3rd item:
Phage (it's cheap, adds health and damage and can be useful for chasing early-mid game)

4th item:
Atma's Impaler (this whole build is built around Atma's, I've tried different things with it like faster mallet, sunfires, veil before getting it, but you really need the damage by mid game and delaying it just slowed down my farm)

Finish Frozen Mallet

5th item:
Banshee's Veil (my standard pick, good chunk of HP for atma's on top of the MR and mana pool along with the spell shield)
or
Sunfire Cape (good chunk of HP too, more armor if they have a lot of physical, passive is sort of useful since you can get in melee range easily)
or
Soul Shroud (even more HP for Atma's, great support to team and self with the cooldown and mana regen)
or
Aegis of the Legion (if for some reason no one else built this, I pick it up here, it's just too much of an asset for teams)

Sell dorans ring/chalice by now

Last items:
I've been trying to decide the best item, but I try to fit some life steal somewhere in here mid/late game just for more surviability and sustainability

Bloodthirster (Flat damage and life steal, expensive though)
or
Stark's Fervor (If no one else has this, I get it here for the huge support it offers the team)
or
Infinity Edge (More crit chance and damage on top of Atma's and a green pot, expensive)
or
Zeal into Phantom Dancer (even more crit chance, dodge for physical dps and movement speed that lets you kite anything with your frozen mallet, expensive)

I try to get a solo lane if possible (if you can solo bottom 1v2 your deny will be nearly game breaking by mid game) and deny as much as possible for the first few levels. I have mana issues sometimes though and will just deny the cannon mob and focus more on last hitting. Also soraka + gangplank lane is amazing; if I can get a soraka mana problems will be solved and I can deny on top of harassing and last hitting with parley. I level parley and remove scurvy only. When I finally get atma's (I try to shoot for the 20 minute mark) I always make sure to have a red pot ready since they synergize so very well and will put your damage on par or greater than most dps (with just phage and a red pot at level 12 I'm usually at ~190 base damage thanks to atma's). I don't use ult to initiate, but use it once I know where most of the other team is positioned and use it for zone control once someone engages (I really try to use it to force squishies to get out of range of where the fight was engaged or just separate their team to make it a 3v5 fight). You of course want to focus your parley and melee attacks on their dps to bring them down as fast as possible and then chase down whoever is left with your mallet and parley.

By level 18 with atmas/mallet/veil/red pot I'm sitting at ~4000 HP and ~310 base damage with decent armor and resist making me nearly impossible to bring down fast while being able to bring down any dps in seconds. With a green pot and an IE on top of that if the game drags too long, you are looking at common ~1300 parley crits and ~900 melee crits on top of superior survivability. I've only had a few games go this far, but there was no other hero in those games scarier than me by the end.

I've been so used to playing a critplank in the past, but it just doesn't work in the metagame these days I think. Since the ult is now AP based and doesn't benefit from a crit build, it just doesn't seem worth it. Add on to heroes like ezreal, akali, poppy and xin being added, they can drop me before I can even get a second parley off if I don't have the survivability (and when you are dead at the start of a team fight and their dps now don't have to worry about being 2 shot by you, you can expect a lot more losses). I've found that it is better to go 8/3/18 than to go 10/9/14 and explode when anything late game even looks at you.

Anyone have any comments or suggestions for improvement?

Dizzeh

08-20-2010

Well 3 matches today with that gangplank build in ~1500 rank solo queue, had a solo bottom lane vs 2 players (poppy/shen, morg/shen, singed/vlad in order) and just denied it to the point where shen just went to jungle in the 2nd game after I had hit 6 and killed him (he was 3). First game I went 18-6-15 but most of the team was playing support or tank so it was easy. 2nd game I went 9-1-9 and I think it was over just after I finished my mallet. 3rd game I went 2-5-16 and got carried by a great ww and had a rage quit on the other side making it 4v5 (our team comp was ashe/ww/taric/yi/gp both ww and I built tankier). 3 wins though so no complaints, cannon barrage just controlled team fights so well and let us pick off anyone who was on the wrong side.

Over all I think the biggest factor was getting off to a good start doing a 1v2 solo to get those levels and farm. Once parley was level 4 no one could get near me in lane without losing two bars of hp, and when they are level 5 while I'm level ~8, thats about 4 shots to drop any squishy hero. Good early game just snowballed, I was three levels higher than everyone but their mid for most of the game, once I had atma's done I was unstoppable mid game. The late game in the first game I ended up going mallet>atma's>banshee>sunfire and was three shotting their tristana while she was helpless to do anything really.

2nd game I just had an early double kill after shen and morgana pushed too far in my lane when I hit 6 and got trapped in cannonballs, the game just snowballed from there (and again great support).

3rd game I had a really rough time vs vlad and singed since I couldn't get in melee range for last hits, they also caught me with a fling and two ignites fairly early and then dove the tower at 6 for another death for me. Getting off to such a bad start I was never able to get my atma's by mid game and if not for our ww stepping up this would have been a loss.

Over all I like this build a whole lot, but I haven't had to do a 2v2 lane yet to judge how it affects the over all game, but I can guess it would be very similar to that game 3.

Sorry for posting so much in your thread, but I'm really excited to see gangplank do well in competitive play when he's usually considered a weak pick.

Dimensionist

08-20-2010

Quote:
winrar