is it possible to pause the game ??

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

LoGstX

10-27-2009

everything is in the question
couldn't find a pause option, is it a choice? or do i need to open my eyes?
ty.

Ch0pst1x

Adjudicator

10-27-2009

no pause

Phil Graves

11-05-2009

I'd really like to be able to pause the game, especially if I'm just playing against bots. If need be it could be a limited pause, like 5 minutes or something. But things just come up in "real life" that can't be put off, no matter how fun the game is.

Playfull Kitsune

11-17-2009

I'm also interested in a pause function, as someone who was an avid DOTA fan I fully understand why it isn't there for online play, but as Phil points out: Real life wont stay on hold for you till you've taken / lost a nexus.

I find myself playing a lot of local (albeit still using pvp.net) and single player (me vs bots) games.

my solution: a timed "pause" with limited uses per game, with "time allowed" and "amount available" as two drop down lists containing a few options ranging from 0 to something like "5" and "30 mins". for the host to set as desired.

30 seconds is all most people need on-line: get the door, turn off the oven, go get the phone, strangle the wife and that sort of thing.

off-line or "single player" longer pauses for: Pizza deliveries and other food related things, toilet breaks, cutting up the recently strangled wife's body and that sort of thing

you get the best results for everyone this way. I have to go now... the wife is nagging me and my new piano wire came today.

Jozrael

QA Analyst

Follow Jozrael on Twitter

11-17-2009

Pause doesn't really have a place in matchmaker or ranked games.

Perhaps a flag set on practice games that will mark them as 'pause enabled'. Some other limits can be done here to prevent griefing (max times per game, etc, once unpaused can't repause for X amount of time, etc.). Also, games with bots could be even more lenient, and singleplayer games have no restriction whatsoever.

Phil Graves

11-18-2009

Yeah, totally. In singleplayer games I should be able to pause to my heart's content. In other matches I'd love to see some type of "timeout" like most sports have. Sometimes you just really, really have to run to the bathroom!

Jozrael

QA Analyst

11-18-2009

That's why there's a death timer!

But yea: keep in mind that for your 3 minutes in the bathroom, that's nearly half an hour of combined time wasted from the other people in the game. I really prefer not having any form of pause in the game whatsoever.

(Again, I'd be fine with the host being able to change that in a practice game).

Phil Graves

11-18-2009

At this point I'll take any pause ability I can get. Or even a "stasis field" ability I have to equip to let me pause for longer than a couple minutes. :-)

Xanaphia

01-01-2010

I think it's really illogical to create a game without a pause and or timer function. I mean..I understand that no one wants to wait 20 minutes while Bobby does the dishes, but we all know that sooner or later, the dishes are going to have to be done...whether or not the game is over. Why? Because we all have lives outside of the game. It's a game. There needs to be a function in the game that allows players to temporarily put the game on some sort of hold. I can see I'm not the only person who is concerned about this matter, but it seems to not matter to a lot of people too. I think the main problem here, is patience. Patience is also a part of life though. A part that we all have to face eventually. What I don't understand is..if you have time to sit all day and play the game all day, then why can't you just go grab a snack or go and do something you've been asked to do 10,000 times until that person can continue the game? It's just a game. It's not really a life or death situation and no one's going to kill you because you had to take out the trash unless they're stupid.

Jozrael

QA Analyst

01-01-2010

Sorry, but this is not ever going to be implemented for multiplayer.

Ever.

I can see the argument for when there's a singleplayer campaign or when there's only bots with you, but it's simply not a priority right now (because it will never ever be in multiplayer).

That's just where the community and Riot is on this.