AP Varus: Brutal, and worth trying

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Clynche

05-14-2012

Gents,

AP Varus. Many have already tried him, but few have seen the potential. Props to Meddler for truly making a champ that can be built to be effective with AP or AD and still kick some major bootay.

Every three autoattacks varus can set off his blight stacks, which with just a deathcap and a nashor's, will shave off almost 30% of the target's MAXIMUM health. Sweet baron-loving jesus that is good, isnt it? The damage potential is honestly OP, considering the size of the nuke and how quickly it can be available. Combine with a hard CC, spreading nuke ultimate that has a 1:1 ratio, AP Varus' output is insane and in my opinion outclasses any out there (when it comes to sheer numbers potential).

The bad news? **** early game that is even harder to deal with than AP Ezreal. Liek him, AP Varus' lategame potential wont be reached in time to make a real impact on the outcome of the game. A mage with slow wave-clear and little CC make for a potential rough laning phase.

Even worse news? He functions like a dps caster with the postioning needs of an AD carry. Cassiopiea requires aim and timing. Kogmaw requires perfect positioning. AP Varus requires all of that to accomplish ASTRONOMICAL dps.

The challenge? Need to do more testing, but in my extremely humle opinion AP Varus is the type of high risk/ high reward champion that makes this game exciting. I'm going to puzzle out a way to make this work, because the potential warrants it. I'd be happy to see others do the same.

A Small Neko

05-14-2012

Prepare to be down-voted, LoL community doesn't like new things bro.

You can only play 'xxx' this way, if not you're a troll.

KSHarrison

05-14-2012

K how many dcaps I need 2 buy?

Clynche

05-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSHarrison View Post
K how many dcaps I need 2 buy?
I dont always build deathcap but when I do, I only build one!

Lebrante

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-14-2012

ap ashe is viable now because she as 1:1 ap ratio on ult

Pika Fox

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-14-2012

The only problem is his abilities are needed to proc his W, and they have a high CD. Hed also be a single target caster, which means hes great against a tanky DPS team if you can shred enough MR to make the % procs worth it, but against other teams, an AoE caster would be better.

Pika Fox

05-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebrante View Post
ap ashe is viable now because she as 1:1 ap ratio on ult
AP Nasus is viable because he has a 1:1 ratio on his ult.... ohwait...

Clynche

05-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pika Fox View Post
The only problem is his abilities are needed to proc his W, and they have a high CD. Hed also be a single target caster, which means hes great against a tanky DPS team if you can shred enough MR to make the % procs worth it, but against other teams, an AoE caster would be better.
True enough, though with the nashor's your Piercing arrow has a 4 second cooldown along with a 6 second cooldown on his w.

Pika Fox

05-14-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clynche View Post
True enough, though with the nashor's your Piercing arrow has a 4 second cooldown along with a 6 second cooldown on his w.
If you can get a couple targets to 2-3 stacks then proc them, he would probably be decent, but doing so is gambling because you wont have your damage out there for at least 3 seconds, if not more, and generally you want your AP caster to be the first person to apply thier damage output, not the last.

Though, like you said, risk/reward.

XElement

05-14-2012

That is why I won't go AP Varus. If your team is doing bad, well, Ap varus won't do much to help out.
AP Varus needs a strong team and just needs to be able to farm and get the gold he needs.

I mean, like you said. It is strong.
But you must deal with being weak for a bit. Plus, MR comes into play hurting that burst.
Because you are AP you have no sustain and to put three stacks you'll have to get in close.