Jungle Jax and Olaf. Are they Viable?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Starsourced

05-14-2012

for all the ppl saying dont start ranked right at lvl 30, im aware of that, i was just sdyaing that posiibly in the near future when im ready to play ranked i wanted to k now how strong these guys were

MCMCMAN2

05-14-2012

Id say they are both viable, although jax isnt optimal. Olaf is exceptional if you can aldn your Q in ganks, but jax is extreamly difficult to make ganks work well.

Pill Popper

05-14-2012

Yeah

Wylade

05-15-2012

Both CAN work, but I find with ranked play you should stick to the more stable junglers, like Udyr, or Lee Sin (aka Free Win)

Nesious

05-15-2012

Don't rush ranked, we have all known the feeling where we thought we were good enough to play ranked, then we get to our placement matches and we are like, "Wow, these people are 3x better than me..." Then we get stuck in ELO Hell for fun times. I say if you truly want to play ranked, use stable, reliable junglers like Lee Sin, or Udyr. Work your way up with your less consistent junglers in Draft mode and get the finer details tuned, then transfer them into ranked and try them out.

Dorsia

05-16-2012

he said he was getting ready to start ranked, ie: learning more jungle champs... he didnt say he was hitting 30 and jumping right in. cut the guy a break and answer the question...

yes they can both jungle fairly well. i prefer champions like udyr, skarner, and naut in the jungle though.

if you had to choose between the 2 i'd say jax over olaf (i like the gap closer/stun combo), but both are fun and good picks. But get them both in case someone on the other team nabs who you want first

http://solomid.net/guides.php?g=21450 - tooleegittoquit's olaf jungle guide

Savackz

05-16-2012

So would you guys consider Jax a better top or jungle? I just bought hmi and am deciding which would be better.

M0nkeyM4n

05-16-2012

to be honest olaf and jax are better solo top lane than jungle. olaf because of true damage on champs hurts and jax because of doges. I personally rather have a lee sin in jungle or maokai but that is me.

Damnnation

05-16-2012

Jax is more reliable than Olaf in ganks, Olaf has a faster clear, Olaf is a better duelist.

Silvermaan

05-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ****nation View Post
Jax is more reliable than Olaf in ganks, Olaf has a faster clear, Olaf is a better duelist.
This is all true. But, you need to know that Olaf's ganks are really pretty terrible. His Q doesn't give much of a slow at early ranks, and he doesn't have anything to close it with. The other team needs to be pushed hard for Olaf to get a successful gank. Fortunately with Olaf, you really don't need smite with his clear time, which leaves you open to take exhaust and ghost and really help yourself out on the ganks. Even better is that these two summoner spells, combined with his ult, are a million times better on Olaf late game than smite could ever be. Your really solid ganks in the laning phase are still gonna be tied to your summoner spell cooldowns though.

Basically, Jax is the better jungler. Clear times aren't as relevant as being able to secure a kill in a gank, which Jax is much better at with his leap and stun. Olaf is viable in the jungle, but you will do SO much more if you take him solo top, get some levels and your E maxed out, and come down around level 10 or 11 to drop bombs on the enemy team. In the jungle, all you've got are fast clears and sub-par ganks, and you'll probably end up underleveled and without E maxed at midgame when it's at its strongest.