Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Best GENERAL Runes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Roulex

08-17-2010

I like flat health quints, armor and magic pen for marks, (depending on if it's an AD or AP hero), dodge seals, and magic resist gylphs for a general setup. Of course I like different ones for specific champs, but as a general "useful for everyone" that's what I use.

Flowerbridge

Recruiter

08-17-2010

My two cents on three topics:

*Most of the runes mentioned in the OP are fairly standard, common, but I feel that MP/5 level Glyphs are great as well.

MP/5 level Glyphs are nearly on par with MP/5 level seals, and they're especially useful if you want Dodge Seals. The minimal CDR from glyphs can be negligible to me depending on what character I'm playing. Also, flat CDR glyphs are twice the price of CDR per level (and also twice the price of MP/5), so that's something to consider for an average or casual player who does not play as much as others.

Having some mana regen can definitely change your early farming and game play.

*I feel that flat health quints are overrated. I know they're used by most top players (I'm 1600 solo queue), but I'd rather have further armor pen, dodge, magic pen, or whatever other focus.

While they're not bad, they scale too poorly compared to other potential runes, such as more Armor/Magic Pentration. Flath health quints offer arguably the largest early game advantage/boost compared to any other rune, but the trade off in poor scability isn't worth it to me.

I'm not saying that an early game advantage is not important either, in high elo games, the first 4-8 deaths in the first 15 minutes can often decide the game. (In digression, early game advantage can be so important that I take Smite with Udry/WW/Shaco, even though they can jungle just fine without it.)

Also, certain squishies who may not purchase health items will also benefit further from the flat health quints, but a jungler such as WW or Udyr doesn't need the early health as much. However, for "GENERAL" runes, I suppose you can't go wrong with health.

*Health per level vs Dodge seals

Unless you're a tank, have the dodge masteries, or other dodge abilities, the health per level *usually* proves to be more effective than dodge seals. This is especially true for casters, squishies, and other characters with low HP/armor. You can leaving your fate to the RNG with dodge if you feel lucky, but for general purpose, go with the HP per level ;P Also, HP per level are 410 IP where as Dodge seals are 820, so cost is another aspect consider.

malphismia

08-17-2010

marks are always dependent, you should not get armor pen on a caster, or magic pen on a DPS

don't understand why people always try to find universal rune pages. you're playing a specific champ, play runes specific to that type.

wanderingsniper

08-17-2010

Quote:
MatadorRED:
marks are always dependent, you should not get armor pen on a caster, or magic pen on a DPS

don't understand why people always try to find universal rune pages. you're playing a specific champ, play runes specific to that type.

Its why they give us two pages to begin with lol, So you CAN have a armor pen / Magic Pen set up. It geneally really universal no matter how you wanna try to justify it.

If im playing Ezreal AD, im going to use a rune page with the armor pen.

If im playing someone like Annie / Ryze of course im not going to use armor pen, I will switch to the OTHER page we have for magic pen.

It really is common sense.

The only time you ever wanna change out of the cookie cutter builds, if you need to play someone specific to said runes.

Aka Tyrn for example, he doesnt really need the armor pen for begining phase but crit chance. Or even gangplank for crit chance.