Best GENERAL Runes

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AphoticFlash

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-17-2010

When I ask somebody "What's the best general runes?" they always say "Depends." I KNOW IT DEPENDS! I'm saying OVERALL, one that would work best on ALL champions

I used to think the most expensive runes in the type specialty (e.g. Physical Attack Marks) were the best, but after some research this is what I've come up with:

Mark: Armor Pen
Seal: Dodge
Glyph: Flat CDR
Quint: Flat HP

For Marks, I used to think crit dmg were the best, but the majority of people say armor pen is much better

For Seals, I'm still debating whether dodge or flat HP, but I'm leaning towards dodge

For Glyphs, people seem to agree on cooldown

For Quints, I hear flat HP is the best the game has "right now." But Quints are supposed to specialize in Utility, yet the Utility Quints aren't that great...

Any feedback?

(If anybody says "It depends on the champion," you're an idiot.)

Xyirx

08-17-2010

I'm adding viable seals here:
Scaled health and Scaled mana regeneration are also best general runes besides dodge.

The rest of that, I sort of agree they're generally friendly to all builds.

huhwhat

08-17-2010

Thats the exact route I went with my t3 runes, except I initially got a couple +move quints, and recently just finished getting 3 flat HP quints. It seems to be pretty universal, and while not ideal for mages, and tanks that don't want dodge, seems to be a great set to start with. Of course, I just hit 30, and only have that set of runes (plus a few odds and ends from t2 combines), but from the research I did, its pretty much the same thing I came up with, so hope that helps.

McRofls

08-17-2010

Reds: Armor Pen and Magic Pen
Quints: Flat Health
Yellows: Dodge
Blue: Flat CDR

There you can have a generic caster and a generic melee page. Then I'd work on getting some mana regen runes (Yellow and/or Blue, depending on character) so that you don't have to buy a meki. After that, buy some Magic Resist/lvl runes to replace CDR on certain tanky builds.

Kikhan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-17-2010

McRofls pretty much covered the easiest and versatile way to do it. That is the way I rolled while we only had 2 pages to be versatile. After a while you might start buying rune set ups for specific Champs.

The only other thing I would note has already been noted by others. The movement Quints can be useful for several Champs.

Machinima

08-17-2010

but aren't armor pen only good for physical champs? so would it still be the best "overall"?

Temlam

08-17-2010

Mine have always been=
armor pen reds
mana regen/5/lvl yellows
cooldown flat blues
flat hp quints

with magic pen reds in the mage build.

Zabedisi

08-17-2010

ArP/MagicP reds
Dodge yellows
Mp5/lvl blues
flat hp quints

NickPham

08-17-2010

I find that flat Magic Resist is useful for absolutely everyone. Although not the absolute best choice for as many champs as flat CDR.

fELonius1

08-17-2010

A safe bet for pretty much any champ:

Flat CDR glyphs
dodge or MR/level seals
flat health quints
ARP or MPen marks (armor pen for AD champ page, magic pen for AP champ page)

Depending on what physical damage champs you play, attack speed marks are also good. If you play a lot of udyr, yi, etc. they are probably better than arpen.