Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Anivia, remember those wings you left in the freezer...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AFKray

10-27-2009

Hi there, Kush here! I wanted to create a guide on my personal favorite hero, Anivia the Chryophoenix. I'm making this guide for one of two things. 1) go go Riot brownie points, but more importantly 2) it is really upsetting when I see Anivia played to below her full potential. I remember my first game as Anivia and it was tough. I feel for you new players and also for those who look at the heroes "difficulty rating" and want to master it just to say you have the most skills (I'm guilty of this as well). So I am not going to copy and paste all her info, but I will post links (and also anyone else feel free to post useful links and I will update this guide, but same goes with all suggestions) to them. I want to get to the nitty-gritty of the Frozen Dinner's goodness! So first, my Overview.

The Overview:

Anivia has one of the best, if not the best, burst potentials in this game. Especially, early on. However, I will say this off the bat, she is NOT a carry. Against solid players an Anivia will not be able to solo a team. Maybe 2 or even 3 tops, but in the end you will fall. However, she IS a SUPPORT hero with major BURST potential. It is this burst that leads people to think she is a carry. However, she is heavily reliant on teamwork in order to fully shine. I will get more on the support aspect of her later. She is built with two major stats in mind. Mana and Ability Power. She requries huge amounts of mana for her abilities and they also scale extremely well. (Innate doubling of effects with the ability to double hit with Flash Frost and the "crit" effect of Frost Bite).

Tha Sauces (yes, i'm going to be making chicken references a lot. mmmm, chicken....):

Passive : Rebirth - On dying, Cryophoenix will revert into an egg. If the egg can survive for six seconds, she is gloriously reborn.

This ability is amazing early, allowing you to put on the pressure with a free life! Careful thinking this way as they can still kill you in the egg form. However, best used when laning with a teammate as they can guard your egg until you respawn. Note: you spawn with about 50% mana.

Q - Flash Frost -
Anivia brings her wings together and summons a single piercing lance of ice that flies towards her opponents, chilling and damaging anyone in its path. When the lance explodes it does moderate damage in a radius, stunning anyone in the area.
A massive chunk of ice flies toward target location, dealing 60 / 90 / 120 / 150 / 180 (+1 per ability power) damage, slowing movement by 20%, and chilling any enemy it passes through. At the end of its range or if Anivia activates the spell again, the missile detonates, doing 60 / 90 / 120 / 150 / 180 (+1 per ability power) magic damage in a small area and stunning units for .75 seconds.Cooldown
0 seconds
Cost
80 / 100 / 120 / 140 / 160 Mana
Range

This is your opener and your "skill shot" move. The term "skillshot" is used to describe a manual cast which uses a certain degree of forethought and timing to attain a predicted result. For example: shooting a Flash Frost through the forest to detonate someone on the other side. Or, hitting a stealth character etc. This ability can hit the same target twice if timed correctly. More on this later. The mini-stun is very useful for canceling channeled abilities like Nunu or Katarina's ultimates.

W - Crystallize -
Cryophoenix condenses the moisture in the air into an impenetrable wall of ice to block the movement of her enemies. The wall only lasts a short duration before it melts.
Cryophoenix summons an impenetrable wall of ice 400 / 500 / 600 / 700 / 800 units wide, blocking all movement. The wall lasts for 5 seconds before it melts.

Cooldown
10 seconds
Cost
70 / 90 / 110 / 130 / 150 Mana
Range

This is what makes Anivia, a support character. A key word to focus on here is "impenetrable". Probably the most OP shiznit in this game, this wall has to be circumvented. However, some characters like Jax or Corki, can leap over this wall. Teleporters can go through it as well. However, for most of the cast, they have to run around. This can be game breaking in team fights, as a well timed wall can isolate a few members of their team for unhindered focus fire, OR save your teammates when no slow or heal would have otherwise. Remember, this effectively gives your escapee a full 5 seconds to run away. That is more than any "stun" in the game. More on proper Ice Wall placement later.

E - Frostbite -
Cryophoenix blasts her target with a freezing wind, dealing 55 / 85 / 115 / 145 / 175 (+1 per ability power) magic damage. If the target has been chilled, they take double damage.

Cooldown
5 seconds
Cost
50 / 60 / 70 / 80 / 90 Mana
Range

This right here is your money shot. You hurl that "freezing wind" right into their faces for some potentially epic damage. It's got a fast cooldown, but its range lacks. So, you should always be heading towards your target when you pop Flash Frost, to be able to skeet this out and bounce before they can kick you outta their house! This skill is leveled to the max ASAP. *EDIT* As far as I can tell, it does NOT work with the other chill effects anymore

R- Glacial Storm - Cryophoenix summons a driving rain of ice and hail to damage her enemies and slow their advance.
Toggle: Cryophoenix calls forth a driving rain of ice and hail, dealing 80 / 120 / 160 (+0 per ability power) magic damage per second, slowing their movement and attack speed by 20% for 3 seconds, and chilling them.

Cooldown
6 seconds
Cost
70 / 100 / 130 Mana Per Second
Range

After level 6, this is your other setup for the moneyshot. This is a channeled spell, but you can also move when it goes on. It does have a max range but it will constantly be draining mana until you deactivate it. Early on, mana is an issue for Anivia, so using this to for the chill effect or to deal the final tick on a fleeing hero is where it sees its uses. Later, it provides great AoE damage in team fights. To gain the chill effect, place it on a fleeing hero and then immediately spam R to toggle it off. The enemy will be slowed and allow you to throw a follow up Frost Bite.

Skill Order:

I have tried numerous skill builds with her and I find this to be my most effective one. WARNING: this is not do all end all. It can vary and should depending on how your game goes, but this is merely a suggestion.

1. FF
2. FB
3. FB
4. Crystallize **
5. FB
6. Glacial Storm
7. FB
8. FF
9. FF
10. FF
11. Glacial Storm
12. FF
The rest is just finishing off Ice Wall and getting the last rank of your Ult.

* : Getting at least one rank of Ice Wall is incredibly valuable and could mean that last couple of attacks on a fleeing hero, or saving your non-clothed behind! (Only female to be unclothed in LoL)

Item Build: How to Outfit Your Chicken

As I said before, Mana and Ability Power are your main stats. There are two real paths to go with this, you can either focus on Mana Regen, or simply outfitting your Mana Pool. However, luckily to good itemization, you can get both. This is not set in stone and will vary depending on your matchups but here is a general guide for newer players.

First item:
I'm going to update this first item section:
The first item should definitely be a Sapphire Crystal. After playing tons of games working with builds this one prospers the most. It builds into a catalyst, which should be gotten asap and allows you to really stay in your lane, especially if solo. Furthermore, you can upgrade it to a Rod of Ages, which is simply too good not to have. Or, if you are so inclined, the Sapphire Crystal also builds into a Tear as well.

First Buy:

When you go back you should have enough gold to finish off your catalyst/tear and from there try and complete your Sorc boots. I go with these boots simply for the extra AP, but if you find your self facing a heavy magic team, Merc's are great as well.

The next items:
Pretty much Anivia can be built in many different ways, but the route I usually go is finishing off my Rod of Ages, (if i can finish it before 20 min, i usually do and then pick up another catalyst and go for the 2x Rod's build. Otherwise, I won't finish it off and instead get a tear prior. However, it's really about predicting how much more time you are going to be staying in a lane. So, i'm just going to write some info on the items you can get, listing some you should:

Archangel Staff :
This staff gives you what you need. Mana and AP. Also, it builds from a Tear which is one of the first items you may be getting. I would recommend keeping your Tear until you can max it's bonuses and then converting it to the staff. This way you can maximize the benefits you receive.

Rod of Ages
This is a trend I was hesitant to try out, simply because it was trendy but I did some exploring and this item is gross for Anivia. The sheer amount of mana, hp and ability power you can muster with this item is awesome. Furthermore, it provides these bonuses over time elapsed, so in a way you are constantly upgrading yourself quite independent of your income.

The Boom Boom Ring:
After getting one of those items (or both, depends your needs. If they are stacking magic resist you will be using a lot more mana than if not for instance) I always shoot for Zhonya's Ring. The AP gained is HUGE + a lot of mana to spend your spells. Great item for Anivia.

Abyssal Scepter:
This item is just badass. It's literally the only item that can reduce an enemy's magic resistance. Since that is all the damage you do, it is quite nice. Coupled with your mastery, you will have the most magic res pen you can have. (Minus say fiddle or Amumu's passive but that isn't much you can control) Also, it provides a hefty amount of magic resist on its own, proving to be a great mix between defensive and offensive stats.

Void Staff:
This item is imba and increases your overall magic damage by A LOT if you factor in magic reduction scaling. It's great, pretty dam cheap, and is usually now my 3rd item. I say third simply because by that time people get smart and start to have some nice MR numbers.

From here you build to suit your needs. Most likely a Frozen heart for the physical negation, mana, and cooldown reduction or Abyssal Septer for that magic resistance + penetration. Either way it's pretty flexible.

Runes/Masteries/ Spells : How to Customize Your Chicken

As far as Runes go, Ability Power runes all the way. She gains too much to not boost it even in a marginal way.

Masteries: Offensive. Make sure you get the Magic Penetration mastery. It is one of the very few ways to penetrate magic resistance and should definitely be taken. Stick to the caster masteries as well, such as cool down reduction versus attack speed. Improved Ignite is also key.

Spells: Until level 7, go with Ghost. Teleport should always be taken due to how much time you would otherwise be staring at your Frozen Dinner taking her sweet ol' time to get anywhere. (Really, birds fly THAT much slower?!) Ghost allows that much needed movement speed to either chase (great setup of a FF--> FB when just booking it through the minion mosh) or flee. Oh as I was informed of, Ghost form allows players to pass through the wall. Some fun shenanigans can ensue using it to block your path only for you to glide through it making your would be killer quite upset.

At level 7: Ignite. This just makes that bust you love, SO much better. Remember use it on a fleeing hero preferably. Your FF still has a bit of a cooldown and after your initial burst they will most likely be running. During this time, tap an ignite, and attack cancel (more on this below) your way to victory! However, don't be afraid to use it up front to throw your would be ganker off guard with some great burst.

Ignite versus Godmode...err I mean flash.
I'm gonna put this in here simply because people live and die by it. Personally, I don't use it. Anivia must be played carefully and therefore should not be in too many situations where you need this Get-out-of-Jail card. However, a great combo is Flashing to the end of your Flash Frost for some great burst as you drop a Glacial Storm on their face. However, as I will state time and time again. Ignite > Flashers due to the DoT feature. It makes me cry a tear of happiness when I see someone Flash away with my Ignite dot only to see their name pop up. Oh, and Improved Ignite is in the offensive tree whereas Flash is not. An extra 10 AP is great early on.

AFKray

10-27-2009

How to DISH out the Pain

This part of the section I believe is the most important part of this guide. Anyone can follow a skill build, or an item build but this is where the true Anivia players shine, the tactics. I'm going to go over some basic things you should be constantly thinking about when playing Anivia, so to start it off...

MANA!!!!
- Anivia consumes more mana than America did gas during the 90s. One basic thing is to know your mana. Knowing you have enough mana for a full burst is often what spells death or a low hp kill for Anivia. Good players will be watching your mana, so should you.

How to: Flash Frost
- OK so this part is going to be dedicated to her Q skill, Flash Frost. First and foremost, this skill has the ability to hit the same person TWICE. Being able to do this with almost 100% accuracy is the first skill needed to play Anivia. Here's a tip. Practice. When minion waves come, practice shooting it at the ranged minions. You want it so as the orb passes through and reaches the back of your target, you hit Q a second time. If you press it too early, only the explosion will do the damage. It takes a bit getting used to, but in time muscle memory will kick in.
- Aiming. Now as you will find out in your first game, this projectile travels quite slow. This in mind, it is very easy to dodge. If you are randomly pug stomping, most of the time your opponent won't dodge. However, this is not normal and shouldn't be expected. The key here is to be able to predict your opponents movements. A few rules of thumb.
1) Collision matters. If your looking to get a champion who is stuck inside the melee minions, the collision size will buy you enough time to land it.
2) Know escape paths. The pathing in this game takes the shortest route. That in mind, if you see someone who is fleeing, don't shoot it at them. Instead find that safe route and shoot to intercept them. Being able to judge these distances takes time, but with practice can become second nature.
3) Know your opponent. This may seem trivial but is actually the most important part of the game in my opinion. While I can judge escape paths, and movement speeds all I want, a simple click in the other direction foils everything. Being able to read your opponent is necessary. If your opponent is a spam happy dodger who is constantly fidgeting, predict his fidgets and fire one off to his side. Or, If they tend to dodge a certain way, fake advance then fire at an angle, often catching them off guard.

How to: ICE WALLLLLL
- This skill makes Anivia who she is. Support. Proper Ice Walls make or break games. I for one know the wrath of a fail wall watching my carry get 5v1'd in an instant. I'm gonna break it down by area to help those who are new out.

- Forest:
- Here is where Ice Wall really shines. Small narrow pathways can be completely blocked off leading to amazing team plays later on. Remember that your Ice Wall comes out perpendicular to where you are, so angling yourself is crucial.

- Middle:
- I give the middle its own section because of the chokes that happen near each tower. These points of change in elevation seem pointless, but remember my comments on pathing. If you see a hero running out of the river to head to their tower swing yourself wide, causing your angle to become more obtuse, then plant the far edge into the corner (the wraparound). This would cause a far reaching angle that will turn the original command of "flee!" into a "ok flee, but run around this massive Ice Wall the long way. A simple changing of a champions movement direction often leads to those last 2 hits that nets you the kill.

- Bot/Top:
- Where the river connects to your starting area also has a lip on the corners and should be exploited using the same strategies as "Middle". Furthermore, remember that the grass is against a wall. Use this to your advantage. If you see the enemy run into the grass to escape, plop a wall down to force their pathing out of the bushes, preventing their jukes.

Glacial Storm:
This ult ROCKS. It's a targeted AoE which can persist even if you aren't channeling it. It is however subject to leashing. Once you get level 6, this becomes your setup move. As you start to play more and more experienced players, landing your Flash Frost becomes a pain. So, you start your setup with an Icewall--> glacial storm-> from here depending on your mana you can use it for its chill effect then deactivate. After throw a Frost Bite--> This initial burst can be followed up by a simultaneous Flash Frost on the currently slowed target to land it easier. After you get your stun off, the cool down on Frost bite should be up, so throw one of those out and you can repeat the cycle with another Glacial Storm. The key to using Glacial Storm is to know how to line it up. Your targeting area is represented by a circle with cross-sections all converging at a point. If this point is on the very EDGE of your maximum range you can still place a storm. This is very advantageous as you can slow people who would normally be out of your Storm range.

Optimal Lane Partners/ Teammates:

This section is going to give a skeleton of the types of lane partners and teammates you are going to look for. LoL is fantastic in the great diversity that successful teams can be comprised of. So this isn't the do all, end all but it will give you an idea of who and who not to be with.

Who to Play With:
- While it takes some nice skills (or lack thereof for your enemies) to be consistently landing Flash Frosts, having a lane partner who can set up a stun or snare for your Flash Frosts is the way to go. Champions like this include but are not limited to: Blitzcrank's Hook, Sion's Gaze, Malph is a great choice with two options, Tristana's Rocket Jump can lead to some serious fun (but you gotta time it well or else she's toast!), Nassus, etc. What I basically listed were heroes who can not only focus the attention off of you but has a easy to land snare/stun. Being able to catch your opponent off guard is what makes the Anivia burst so powerful.

- After writing that much I realized that separating lane partners with team comps is silly, so instead I'm going to list a bunch of heroes who work very well. So, here goes:

- Malph: This champion fits so well with Anivia. He can burst into a group and stun them, as the reticle for malphs impact damage is a little larger than your Flash Frost's burst, you will have a great time setting up a combo. On top of that you drop a glacial storm and you have a very nice trap set up for the rest of your team.
- Fiddlesticks: I love this hero with Anivia. The reason being, fear. Fear is a great setup for burst and with his aura being one of the few abilities to negate magic resistance in the game, you can't go wrong. Oh, did I mention Glacial Storm + Crow Storm is muchos pain for any poor sucker?
- Soraka: The mana. LOOOOVE IT. Oh, and like fiddle, negating magic resists is clutch.
- Kayle: If you question why, let me say this. 6 seconds. That is the amount of time his level 3 ultimate lasts. That is also the amount of time it takes for Anivia to rebirth. You get the picture?
- Evelyn: Stealth stun + her Ravage reducing magic resist. Perfect setup man.

Under Construction: Please Feel Free to Add

SG GodFlow

Recruiter

10-27-2009

I'd suggest getting a Tear of the Goddess as it allows you to gain a larger mana pool for Glacial Storm/abilities in general.

jozu

10-27-2009

you beat me to it Shido, I was just going to ask why there is no early game tear (should be the first thing you get really), especially since your going to build into AA staff anyway

Vindico Atrum

10-27-2009

Man, you gotta cover the Tear>Archangels build, and the Catalyst>Rod builds. Having 2,5k health and 3,5k mana when is the way forward, as you said, support not carry, so soul stealer is pointless, you're stealing kills from your carry. Being tanky, and creating chaos is the bird's forte.

I usually go mana regen/2 health pots into lane, 980>bp back>tear, 920>bp back>sorc boots, by then laning is usually over, time to gank, catalyst>rod, catalyst>rod. Rod Of Ages is fantastic, alot of health, mana and AP, and every minute just adds more.

Being able to stay alive is key, flash frost is amazing for team fights, can usually hit 2/3 heros with the first instance of dmg and the second+stun. Wall behind them, throw the ult up and your team will finish up. Spamming bite into the mess will accelerate the job.

thegamenet

Recruiter

10-27-2009

very nice guide!! I put it on the Lol wiki (http://www.thelolwiki.com) and gave you credit : ) nice work.

Kahryl

10-27-2009

I just tried Anivia for the first time using this build. She is very VERY hard to play but I was pretty successful, my only complaint is that I was mana-starved for half the game. I definitely would like to get a tear.. although it's not as good on Anivia as on some characters beause she does not spam abilities.

DragonArmy

10-28-2009

d the game and like being able to resurrect and highly refined teams that need a caster. My advice for Aniva is different: pick her when you need a caster for a buff team, and I think she is underpowered for solo queuing.

To me Aniva stands out because she is great in 5v5 battles especially with other team oriented heros. All her skills have an AEO like effect, especially the ability to put up a wall. The wall is less effective in laning, but I find awesome in jungelling.

Which teammates do you think work well with Aniva?

Faro

Recruiter

10-28-2009

Worth mentioning that champions with Ghost can run through a wall formed by crystallize.

Foreshadowed

10-28-2009

Points for the puns, good writing etc

Glass cannon Cyro isn't very effective in higher elo games, lower tier it's fine but really you'll do better if you've got more survivability in either of the brackets.

Here is my Cryo tank build, great for initiating team fights and puts out damage pretty close to glass cannon.

1) Sapphire Crystal (the mana one)
2) Catalyst/Boots (Ninja Tabi/Merc Treads)
3) 2nd Catalyst/Blasting Wand, If you're soloing, a 2nd Catalyst is a good idea.
4) Rod of Ages
5) Banshee Veil/Rylai's Scepter
6) Abyssal Scepter.